PDA

View Full Version : Best Pixar Movie Round2

Lord Jubjub
2010-Jun-30, 11:10 PM
OK, here are the results of round 1. I'm a bit surprised that TS2 got so little love.

The Finalists:
The Incredibles 10
Toy Story 9
WALL-E 8
Monsters, Inc 6
Up! 5

The Rest:
Toy Story 2 2
Finding Nemo 2
Cars 1
Rataouille 1
A Bug’s Life 0
Toy Story 3 0

Pick the best Pixar release.

Swift
2010-Jul-01, 03:19 AM
I can't answer the poll. First, I'm not sure how to define "best", because my favorite one is probably not the best one, and I'm not sure which one is meant. And I'm not sure what best means - best technically (best animation), best story, best overall. It might not be fair comparing them technically, since the technology changed so much over time.

I love all five of those, and have watched them all multiple times.

LotusExcelle
2010-Jul-01, 03:32 AM
I'm shocked The Incredibles was ranked so high the first time.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jul-01, 06:31 AM
It was up against Finding Nemo and Cars.

Mr Gorsky
2010-Jul-01, 09:28 AM
I'm shocked The Incredibles was ranked so high the first time.

Well, The Incredibles is my favourite Pixar film. Each to his own!

:D

Gillianren
2010-Jul-01, 06:24 PM
As I've said, The Incredibles is my favourite, but from a purely technical perspective, I think WALL-E is the best.

Solfe
2010-Jul-03, 12:58 AM
In my mind anyway, the Toy Story movies blend together. Being a series of movies, they sort of lose themselves in themselves.

Does that make any sense???

Solfe

parallaxicality
2010-Jul-03, 11:59 AM
Two years ago I would have voted for "The Incredibles", but since then I've increasingly soured to its Ayn-Randian, "the world belongs to your superiors" message.

Van Rijn
2010-Jul-04, 10:31 PM
I didn't get that from the movie. Then again, while I've only read her non-fiction (I've never made it through one of her novels), I don't think that's an accurate portrayal of Ayn Rand's argument either.

Gillianren
2010-Jul-04, 11:12 PM
I've read one Rand novel once fifteen years ago and thought it was dreadful. However, I don't see much correlation to The Incredibles, which to me kind of suggested that certain people are better suited for certain jobs--certainly true!--and if you try to do a job you have neither the skill set nor temperament for, you'll probably fail and be miserable to boot. It's also true that by being kind of an arrogant git at the beginning of the movie, Mr. Incredible set himself up for most of what went wrong later in the story. Though it's not unreasonable to believe that there was something wrong with that boy going in.

And I finally have plans to see Toy Story 3! A friend's husband and I are going to a matinée next Saturday.

Van Rijn
2010-Jul-05, 09:00 AM
It's also true that by being kind of an arrogant git at the beginning of the movie, Mr. Incredible set himself up for most of what went wrong later in the story. Though it's not unreasonable to believe that there was something wrong with that boy going in.

Heh. I suspect so. Developing killer weapons was probably not the most reasonable way to deal with being told off.

Ara Pacis
2010-Jul-08, 04:40 AM
I liked all of them but I think Up! was the best story. It made me think more. It made me feel more. It made me think about it after it was over and I realize what it meant later on. I'm usually good at seeing how movies end up but this one kinda surprised me and I think it was as much for adults as for children, if not more so. From a technical perspective, I liked the way it played with light and depth of field for an animated movie. I loved how the photographs seemed like real photographs.

Lord Jubjub
2010-Jul-10, 12:10 AM
I think the Incredibles was using Harrison Bergeron as their starting point and offering a more positive ending.

parallaxicality
2010-Jul-10, 07:01 AM
It's also true that by being kind of an arrogant git at the beginning of the movie, Mr. Incredible set himself up for most of what went wrong later in the story. Though it's not unreasonable to believe that there was something wrong with that boy going in..

Buddy was a psychopath from the start; you could tell from his utter, oblivious sense of entitlement. Of COURSE he was Mr Incredible's new partner! How could he not be! That Mr Incredible wouldn't accept him was obviously his fault! It couldn't be because he put other people's lives at risk!

Gillianren
2010-Jul-10, 05:29 PM
You can also chalk that up to childish naïveté. In retrospect, based on his future actions, you probably shouldn't, but honestly, that behaviour isn't unknown in cartoons and movies. See also Jimmy Olson!

jamesabrown
2010-Jul-12, 01:43 PM
Yeah, it's classic comic book mythology that ambitious children with moxie get picked up as sidekicks.

Vonstadt
2010-Jul-18, 12:30 AM
I went with the Incredibles, just got an overall feel for the world they were telling the story in. I loved the old comic book feel to it.

I don't think there is a Pixar movie I don't like, though Rataouille and Cars, though well done, just were not my cup of tea.

Glom
2010-Jul-26, 12:54 PM
WALL-E. Though Up! was very good too.

I think the only other Pixar films I've seen are Toy Story, A Bug's Life and Toy Story 2. Confused Matthew (http://www.confusedmatthew.com/The-Incredibles.php) didn't like The Incredibles and all I know of it I got from listening to his review.

Gillianren
2010-Jul-26, 05:47 PM
I don't seem to have reviewed it myself. Let me do that this week, I guess.