PDA

View Full Version : A book from childhood, printed by Scholastic.

Buttercup
2010-Jul-02, 04:49 PM
Been doing a bit of memory trippin' this a.m., and I recall a book at the school library which I loved as a kid in the late 1970s. I did a book report on it and read it at least twice, but oddly enough can't recall the title. I've not yet come across it on the internet nor in a bookstore.

It was maybe written/published in the late 1950s/early 1960s. Concerned a sight-impaired teenaged boy who is bullied, and the seeing-eye dog who faithfully befriends him. I seem to recall the story's main bully urinating in the kid's shoe.

Does this story ring a bell with anyone? Can you provide title/author? My nephew might be interested in reading it.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments.

Parrothead
2010-Jul-03, 05:16 PM
It rings a bell. IIRC, in the story you're thinking of the boy goes blind, after being stung multiple times, stepping on an inground hive. While training with the seeing-eye dog, he gets upset that the dog isn't moving, turns out its at traffic lights? Wish I could help with name or author, if I come up with anything, I'll post.

Parrothead
2010-Jul-03, 05:25 PM
Follow My Leader by James B. Garfield.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/648958.Follow_My_Leader

Boy gets blinded by firecracker has to learn how to cope with being blind.

Buttercup
2010-Jul-04, 02:46 AM
Yes, I believe that's it. :) The name Jimmy is familiar, and the way in which he was blinded. Thanks a lot. :D

Nick Theodorakis
2010-Jul-04, 03:15 AM
Hey, I read that one, too!

Nick

TJMac
2010-Jul-04, 08:01 PM
I could only think of one in which the young man had lost his sight, and was angry and bitter, to the point that he was likely not a good candidate for having a dog. Spent a fair amount of the book not trusting the dog, and not cooperating with people trying to help him, and then the dog helps him through a difficult place, and all ends well.

I tried to google it, and got nothing. It didn't really sound quite like the book in the OP any way.