PDA

View Full Version : Sound on Mars

twinstead
2004-Mar-27, 04:08 AM
I was wondering, a la 'if a tree fell in the forest, and there was no one there to hear it, would it make sound?', how sound would carry in the thin atmosphere of mars.

I have an image of an imaginary person standing next to spirit while it is grinding away at a rock.

What would it sound like?

stelmosfire
2004-Mar-27, 04:20 AM
The sound made by an imaginary person standing next to anything would in fact be quite slight, nay, almost undetectable, even on Earth.

twinstead
2004-Mar-27, 05:14 AM
The sound made by an imaginary person standing next to anything would in fact be quite slight, nay, almost undetectable, even on Earth.

Well, yes, I suppose you're right in a misplaced modifier kind of way :wink:

BigJim
2004-Mar-27, 09:54 PM
Speaking of Martian sounds, does anyone know the current status of the Mars Microphone? Last I heard, they were going to refly it on Netlander, but it seems that Netlander's been cancelled.

Jack Higgins
2004-Mar-27, 11:45 PM
I've heard it's flying on Phoenix in 2007- although that seems to be an awfully unlucky microphone; look what it did to MPL and Netlander... :wink:

The Watcher
2004-Mar-28, 03:33 AM
I've heard it's flying on Phoenix in 2007- although that seems to be an awfully unlucky microphone;

It's going to take until 2007 to make a long enough mic lead.
Also, there must be a dilemma as to what height to set the mic stand! :D

stelmosfire
2004-Mar-28, 04:18 AM
And all to discover that Martian microbes have picked up rap poetry from Earth . . . .

Brady Yoon
2004-Mar-28, 04:46 AM
The martian atmosphere is 1/150 the thickness of Earth's. So if a "tree" :lol: on Mars fell, it would sound like a paper clip falling to the floor.

Chip
2004-Mar-28, 06:41 AM
CNN story from 1999 (http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9911/01/mars.microphone/) has a picture of the Mars microphone and describes how it was going to function, (i.e. - listen in 10 second intervals.)

Well, maybe someday... :(

P.S. Great premise for a Sci-fi story:
Mars is cold and dry with interesting combinations of minerals indicative of past water, but no obvious fossils, etc...then one day they send another probe with a microphone. When the transmission reaches Earth, the mic registers distant and impossible "strange music-like sounds" coming from afar... :o

The Watcher
2004-Mar-28, 07:44 PM
P.S. Great premise for a Sci-fi story:
Mars is cold and dry with interesting combinations of minerals indicative of past water, but no obvious fossils, etc...then one day they send another probe with a microphone. When the transmission reaches Earth, the mic registers distant and impossible "strange music-like sounds" coming from afar...

This reminds me of a great openning chapter to an Arthur C Clarke novel.
In fact sometimes compilation books are released with single chapters in that represent a range of different authors work. The openning chapter of 'Imperial Earth' is one such chapter and certainly captures the imagination. (well it captured mine!) I don't remember the rest of the novel -not a good sign- but the first chapter can be read in isolation as a short story.
The premise of it is similar to the above suggestion to the point of discovering unusual sounds (but no picture) coming from a planet surface.