PDA

View Full Version : To all Mods: I'm curious on a procedural matter!!!

hahn1
2010-Jul-07, 09:37 PM
So, I'm not that great at searching for previous threads within forums. I do apologize if this has been asked. But, even if it has, maybe now is a good time to retake the survey and compare notes. :p

So ... How many times does the average newbie resend the same comment before realizing that you review all newbie posts prior to publication? I think I hit resend three times, then never again which is the average learning curve of a monkey.

Moose
2010-Jul-07, 10:00 PM
It's not all that frequent, actually, mostly because it's really only posts with links (and a few spammish key words) that get moderated, but it seems to happen once a month or so, with someone querying it in this forum maybe once a season. Repeats, when they happen, are typically twice or thrice. I've never personally seen or heard of four.

... Except from spammers. My record sighting for posts/threads picked up by the queue from a single spammer was 15, and that was early this month. The queue blocked every one of them.

pzkpfw
2010-Jul-07, 11:04 PM
...and oh boy is it so much better to have a little bit of pain this way, than for us to be covered in spam for shoes, fake brand-name bags and all the other stuff that comes along.

(Sadly, members don't get to see just how much work the mods put into keeping the forum clean of this stuff.)

((We appreciate it when members spot stuff that got through, by the way; it does happen - and the report helps us find and delete quickly...))

hahn1
2010-Jul-07, 11:35 PM
Huh? I figured more people would fail to read the announcement stating the policy and think it was a server problem a couple of times. I agree with the policy by the way. Too many forums get drowned in the swamp and I know that for a forum of this size, it has to be a pain. Keep up the good work. :) I actually wish the monitoring continued for the duration. It would save some good posters a bit of embarrassment every once in a while, and kill almost all flame wars, but your rules are pretty darn good. And making it permanent would be darn near impossible and obviously lead to claims of bias. Good luck with the GW issue, its a dicey one.

hahn1
2010-Jul-07, 11:37 PM
Sorry, I would like to edit to include the following paragraph.

Actually, voting on "too many times" might be a good indicator of the amount of work you guys put into keeping spam off the forum.

edit: syntax error.

grapes
2010-Jul-08, 01:28 AM
I voted for 1 because I think that the actual average is less than 1.

antoniseb
2010-Jul-08, 01:39 AM
I voted for 1 because I think that the actual average is less than 1.

Same for me... assuming that the first send doesn't count as a resend, and you don't include spammers, I think the answer is very close to zero.

mugaliens
2010-Jul-12, 02:42 AM
When the forum/internet/my browser is acting up, I've accidently re-sent posts, even after years (decades) of online message-boarding. The fix is to delete it yourself using the option under the Go Advanced function.

Tensor
2010-Jul-12, 02:53 AM
When the forum/internet/my browser is acting up, I've accidently re-sent posts, even after years (decades) of online message-boarding. The fix is to delete it yourself using the option under the Go Advanced function.

I've done this several times also. Thanks mugs for reminding me and making me feel silly.:lol:

grapes
2010-Jul-12, 03:24 AM
O yeah me too, but they don't count, in terms of the OP. That is only addressed to newbie posts under review.

mugaliens
2010-Jul-13, 04:24 AM
I've done this several times also. Thanks mugs for reminding me and making me feel silly.:lol:

Want to know what's really silly? My original post #8 suggested people report their own duplicate post to the mods and ask them to delete it. Immediately after I posted it, I remembered the advanced function and edited my post!

hahn1
2010-Jul-13, 05:55 AM
Want to know what's really silly? My original post #8 suggested people report their own duplicate post to the mods and ask them to delete it. Immediately after I posted it, I remembered the advanced function and edited my post!

lol. That is funny. At least you caught yourself.

Jim
2010-Jul-14, 04:40 PM
Less than one. I've noticed a repost on occasion in the Mod queue, but not very often.