PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart Needs a Talkin' To

Gillianren
2010-Jul-09, 06:27 AM
This evening, he has a guest on who's written a book about the conflict between religion and science. (Marilynne Robinson, Absence of Mind.) Which I'm not going to bother with, because it doesn't sound as though she's really done her research. But anyway.

He has just said that, the deeper you get into scientific arguments, the more they seem to have to do with faith. He cites antimatter, by which he clearly means dark matter, using the same kind of fundamental misunderstandings about it which pop up in ATM threads claiming it doesn't exist. Maybe Phil has some pull and could get him to acknowledge his errors?

Spoons
2010-Jul-09, 07:14 AM
This is just one reason why Colbert is much better than Jon Stewart. He seems to have a better understanding of space and physics topics.

And on top of that, he's so darn humble, which really is admirable.

I admit I don't watch JS so much these days - if Phil is on there some time I'll have to check it out though.

Gillianren
2010-Jul-09, 05:04 PM
See, but Jon Stewart is funnier and more informative. And has guests I care about more often.

danscope
2010-Jul-11, 04:07 AM
The object is to promote thought and entertain. :)

Gillianren
2010-Jul-11, 08:45 AM
And educate.

Fazor
2010-Jul-11, 09:04 PM
Easy solution; Get Phil on the Daily Show.

peter eldergill
2010-Jul-11, 11:10 PM
Gillian, I noticed that too and was certainly disappointed, especially, like you, I find him hilarious and informative. Considering I think his target audience is on the younger side (I think) I thought this statement to be quite odd and misinformed. Any credible scientist will change their mind given the proper evidence, unlike religion, which rejects evidence in placement of faith (oversimplification and not to be discussed further :) ).

He has a large audience and unfortunately led them astray on this one

Pete

PS Not sure how many people read this section (I usually don't). Maybe change to Babbling?

Gillianren
2010-Jul-12, 12:10 AM
It belongs here, though it could also go in SMaL. After all, it was Bad Astronomy in the Media.

Honestly, I'm wondering how much good reasoned, thoughtful letters from those of us who saw and noted the errors in that subject would be.

Spoons
2010-Jul-12, 12:15 AM
If anything it'd make for fuel for more jokes, I'd expect. Still, if it did it may still get the message portrayed.

aastrotech
2010-Jul-13, 05:35 AM
Well he did begin the show advising the audience that they should prepare for that segment by getting out their bongs.

As to his case in point. Consider that people working on string theory in 11 dimensions had faith that they were right. While the mainstream said only 10.

I also consider her point an excelent one. "The gladiators on both sides are not the best representatives of the case."