PDA

View Full Version : The God particle and the LHC

Angryduck
2010-Jul-13, 03:24 PM
Good day all,

So, I was passing through some random site like CNN one fine morning and stumbled upon a little story about how one of the projects that was being worked involved finding the higgs boson. Now, I am not against this, with one exception. If this is the particle that supposedly existed just before the big bang...and we find it...then isn't it just possible...just a bit...THAT ANOTHER BIG BANG MIGHTOCCUR RIGHT AFTER??? I mean, I am not sure i would want starting the implosion or explosion of the known universe on my resume.

So, someone, please assuage my fears?

Kelly

Hungry4info
2010-Jul-13, 03:39 PM
If the particle exists, there's no reason to expect finding it would cause another big bang.

Rest easy, there is nothing to fear.

Strange
2010-Jul-13, 03:42 PM
Don't confuse the fact that (according to the popular press) the LHC will create conditions "similar to the big bang" (rather an exaggeration) with its aim of finding/seeing/identifying a Higg's boson. If the Higg's boson exists, then they are already around us, flying about. The LHC will just act as a tool to let us study their behavior and properties.

Most concerns about the "dangers" of the LHC can be dismissed by the fact that far more energetic particle collisions happen all the time in nature.

Argos
2010-Jul-13, 03:57 PM
And would you please stop calling it the "God particle"? Thatīs disservice to science. Thanks!

Hungry4info
2010-Jul-14, 07:19 AM
And would you please stop calling it the "God particle"? Thatīs disservice to science. Thanks!

What other unconfirmed particle has struck fear in the hearts of so many people? :D

Jens
2010-Jul-14, 01:29 PM
What other unconfirmed particle has struck fear in the hearts of so many people? :D

Or rather, what other unconfirmed particle has struck so much fear in the hearts of potential Nobel-winning physicists for its possible lack of existence? :)

Geo Kaplan
2010-Jul-14, 10:09 PM
Good day all,

So, I was passing through some random site like CNN one fine morning and stumbled upon a little story about how one of the projects that was being worked involved finding the higgs boson. Now, I am not against this, with one exception. If this is the particle that supposedly existed just before the big bang...and we find it...then isn't it just possible...just a bit...THAT ANOTHER BIG BANG MIGHTOCCUR RIGHT AFTER??? I mean, I am not sure i would want starting the implosion or explosion of the known universe on my resume.

So, someone, please assuage my fears?

Kelly

There has been a bit of fear-mongering by some nutjobs, but don't let them get to you. It's important to recognize that the universe is a violent place, and millions of events more energetic than produced by the LHC occur each second. And yet, we're still here. Getting hit by lightning while winning the lottery is more probable. :)