PDA

View Full Version : Spot the Gorilla - The Monkey Business Illusion

mugaliens
2010-Jul-14, 07:48 AM
Old concept, new twist (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100713/sc_livescience/invisiblegorillatestshowshowlittlewenotice). See if you can spot the unexpected. :)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jul-14, 07:59 AM
I missed the color change but caught the black player leaving.

clop
2010-Jul-14, 08:05 AM
Henrik could you possibly edit your post so that people don't read your answer before they click the link.

For the record, I didn't see the unexpected at all.

clop

Spoons
2010-Jul-14, 08:59 AM
I noticed the black-shirt leaving, and sort of made note of it, but the curtain changing colour isn't something I initially noticed. I would clarify thoug, that the curtain changing colour didn't seem like a significant event to me, so if asked about any surprises it's not something that would generally spring to mind. If asked afterwards for the three other events it's possible it may have been different, though it's a bit hard to tell once you've seen it all.

I've been told about a number of these sorts of tests - I'm always surprised to hear people didn't notice the "extreme event", though depending on how much attention is required to perform the assigned task I suppose at a point it wouldn't be surprising.

Eta C
2010-Jul-14, 01:09 PM
I missed both the color change and the departure in the second video. The original video was the basis for Simons being awarded the 2004 IgNobel prize in psychology. Not all Igs are given for garbage work. Many are awarded for work that is just enough off the wall to make you think. Simons was a good enough sport to attend the award ceremony that year.

Spoons
2010-Jul-14, 01:14 PM
It is definitely of interest. Sometimes the simple things need to be pointed out for people to actually pay attention to them.

Tobin Dax
2010-Jul-14, 02:47 PM
I barely noticed the girl leaving, but it didn't register until I noticed her absence a few seconds later. I wasn't watching the background, but I also didn't notice that it was shot on a bluescreen until just before the end of the sequence.

LotusExcelle
2010-Jul-14, 03:07 PM
Hmm. i may be the oddball here as I spotted all of the above mentioned changes first time around. But then I'm pretty oblivious to magic tricks (usually look up their functional parts later). So i have no idea what that means. The changes were not at all subtle, though.

Eta C
2010-Jul-14, 03:43 PM
I think that noticing the color change and person leaving depends a bit on if you were counting the passes or not. I was and missed them. I probably would have noticed at least the color change if I was just watching the video. It's not clear from other's comments if they were counting or not. One could be counting and still notice the changes, but I think that is an important consideration.

I did notice the gorilla the second time though.

mugaliens
2010-Jul-15, 03:44 AM
I was pretty sure they'd still use the gorilla, as everyone would be expecting that, but that they'd do something unexpected, such as having the people in black pass to those in white, and vice-versa. I did notice the color change, but only after I spotted green screen effects near the shoes of the players. I totally missed the missing player.

Trebuchet
2010-Jul-16, 03:48 PM
I did the same as Hendrik. But I wasn't counting passes, just looking for a trick. If I'd been counting, I'd likely have missed both.

mike alexander
2010-Jul-16, 11:53 PM
I went along with the spirit of the thing and got the correct number of passes and the gorilla. The others did not register at all.
In general, don't look where the magician is telling you to look. Unless she wants you to look somewhere else.

Many years ago I went to see Harry Blackstone Jr's stage magic show. Even when I knew what he was doing I still couldn't spot it, as a rule.