PDA

View Full Version : Apollo 16 site snapped from orbit

jrkeller
2010-Jul-14, 02:09 PM
I found this on BA's Blog, but since not everyone reads Phil's blog, I thought a repost was in order. The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has again taken a picture of the Apollo 16 landing site. This time using a different sun angle.

Liink (http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/index.php?/archives/190-Apollo-16,-Footsteps-Under-High-Sun.html)

NEOWatcher
2010-Jul-14, 02:14 PM
...This time using a different sun angle....
So the lander did leave a crater... but along that lines, I guess the LRV did too. :shifty:

shadmere
2010-Jul-14, 02:41 PM
My first thought: "I wonder what the conspiracy theorists will say about this? :surprised"

My second thought: "Oh yeah, that it's faked. :doh:"

That is an amazing image, though. Hopefully it'll help convince a few people, here and there. Maybe.

Cavorite
2010-Jul-14, 03:09 PM
Where did the Grand Prix take place? That would have chewed up the scenery a fair bit.

Jim
2010-Jul-14, 04:30 PM
... since not everyone reads Phil's blog...

Blasphemer!

It is a beautiful pic, although I doubt it will convince or convert any diehard HBs.

Bobbar
2010-Jul-14, 04:40 PM
So the black halos around the LM and LRV are from foot prints? I thought it was caused by over saturation. It's odd that it would appear so utterly black. Of course, in contrast to the sunlit surrounding surface, it probably is.

Darn cameras, I wanna see this in person!

AstroGman
2010-Jul-14, 06:57 PM
Well,those photos make me even more proud to say that I shook the hand that socked ** Sibrel.

AstroGman
2010-Jul-14, 07:02 PM
I found this on BA's Blog, but since not everyone reads Phil's blog, I thought a repost was in order. The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has again taken a picture of the Apollo 16 landing site. This time using a different sun angle.

Liink (http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/index.php?/archives/190-Apollo-16,-Footsteps-Under-High-Sun.html)Thanks to Jrkeller for sharing that link with us.

kleindoofy
2010-Jul-14, 08:05 PM
... I doubt it will convince or convert any diehard HBs.
Of course not, and it's because those pictures are totally faked.

I mean, come on, when did the astronauts have time to run around laying out huge black letters on the Moon's surface?

Geez.

Skyfire
2010-Jul-14, 11:05 PM
Of course not, and it's because those pictures are totally faked.

I mean, come on, when did the astronauts have time to run around laying out huge black letters on the Moon's surface?

But you'd have thought they would have spelled out Coca Cola or Pepsi or something ... be worth more to them! Obviously didn't have the right agent when negotiating their contracts .... (no .... hang on, that would only happen if they went ... errrr ... does that mean they DID go after all?!)

Gee, this conspiracy stuff is soooo confusing .... I'll just believe they DID go ... it just seems simpler ....

:)

postbaguk
2010-Jul-15, 08:47 PM
So the black halos around the LM and LRV are from foot prints? I thought it was caused by over saturation. It's odd that it would appear so utterly black. Of course, in contrast to the sunlit surrounding surface, it probably is.

Darn cameras, I wanna see this in person!

According to the LRO website, images taken at certain sun angles (such as this one) highlight differences in albedo. That explains the very dark areas where there is high footfall from astronauts (rather than the actual colour of the churned up regolith, if that makes sense).

jlhredshift
2010-Jul-15, 10:50 PM
Well now, wait a minute, if this was a government worksite with workers paid by the government, transported there and back by a government vehicle, they installed government equipment using government tools, they dug trenchs, and they picked up rocks, all while standing in the blazing sun, where are the "facilities"? There are rules you know. It is required that the government provide them with a porta-potty, and I don't see it in the picture. It must be fake. :cry:

jrkeller
2010-Jul-16, 04:38 PM
Well,those photos make me even more proud to say that I shook the hand that socked ** Sibrel.

I have shaken Buzz's hand, but it was prior to the ** incident.

NEOWatcher
2010-Jul-16, 05:11 PM
I have shaken Buzz's hand, but it was prior to the ** incident.
... thus contributing to the history of the hand that socked **.

Arnold Rimmer
2010-Jul-16, 11:56 PM
I can't believe people still questioning the moon landings with the 1000's of pictures and hours of video footage available on Apollo Lunar Surface Journal http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/frame.html

Of course NASA doesn't help much by using quicktime video (fullscreen, sorry no can do) and the horrible non-user-friendly setup of their websites.

jlhredshift
2010-Jul-17, 02:09 AM
... thus contributing to the history of the hand that socked **.

I shook his hand in 1999.

Vonstadt
2010-Jul-18, 12:42 AM
Such a great shot of the Landing site.

And yes if this doesn't disprove the hoax thing, nothing ever will.

Woo Hoo's will always be Woo Hoo's

mugaliens
2010-Jul-27, 03:24 AM
My second thought: "Oh yeah, that it's faked. :doh:"

Obviously, as "there are no stars."

Nice photo!

IOf course NASA doesn't help much by using quicktime video (fullscreen, sorry no can do) and the horrible non-user-friendly setup of their websites.

No, they don't help much at all. One would think at least standard def video would be in order.

NickW
2010-Jul-27, 04:52 AM
I don't visit the the website just because it is kinda pain to navigate. Of course I have to admit that some of the coolest stuff I have seen involving the moon landings have been on that site.