PDA

View Full Version : new to this

moongoddess199119
2010-Jul-20, 03:18 AM
hi everyone,
i bought a new telescope about a year ago a zhumell 8" dob and where i live there isn't any astronomy clubs or anything close. so if anyone out there could help me i would be greatful. my scope came with a 4,6,9,12.5,25,32mm and 30mm wide. also a varity of colored filters i also bought a nebula filter. i have seen jupiter and the moon but cant seem to find anything else. my question is what kind of lens should i get that will perform the best for a girl on a budget. i really want to find some nebulas i know that im in the right area but dont know what lens to use. i am alone in this so any help would be great. i have been learning as i go. thanks to everyone for taking the time to read and advise.

RickJ
2010-Jul-20, 09:08 AM
Go back to basics. Get a good book on starting out. Turn Left at Orion is one of many. Get a pair of 10x50 binoculars and a good star chart. Learn your way around the sky. All the beginner nebula, galaxies and star clusters are easily seen in the binoculars from a dark site. Then go for them in the scope. Always start at your lowest power. I've never seen a scope come with so many eyepieces. Far too many in fact. Two or three and a barlow is all you need. I do 95% of my viewing with two eyepieces, 27 and 16.8 plus a 2.7x barlow. The 30 and 32 likely have about the same field of view if in 1.25" format. Use the one with the widest true field of view, it will be one of those two. That will help you find the object.

There are major star parties each summer around most countries. Not knowing anything about location I can't advise. But even if you drive a day or more you'd learn far more there in a night or two than you can here in months. I learned more driving for 5 hours to my first star party for 3 hours viewing than I did in 5 years of going it mostly alone.

You likely aren't the only one in your area. Libraries, schools etc. may have leads on others you don't know about. Might take some work and asking about but they are likely there.

Rick