PDA

View Full Version : Futurama Reloaded

SkepticJ
2010-Jul-21, 06:50 AM
So, I was excited when I learned that Futurama was coming back. I've given it a little while, and I have to say the reboot is just awful. It's like Family Guy, in more ways than one. Family Guy was pretty dang funny and fresh before it got canceled; I can't make myself watch what they've made the last five years.

Futurama always had lowbrow humor, but they did it with class. It was funny. "Attack of the Killer App" was just gross, and had elements that were too ridiculous, even for Futurama. A singing boil? *groan*

Fazor
2010-Jul-21, 01:10 PM
It's mildly amusing; but I think because it's on Comedy Central they're intentionally being more vulgar than before, and it's annoying because it just doesn't fit with the already-established franchise.

JustAFriend
2010-Jul-21, 02:11 PM
It's hard to catch that spark again when everyone's been gone for so long
(and parts of the writing crew probably never came back - Hollywood does EVERYTHING by committee.)

It hasn't been up to its old standard. Hope they work a bit harder before it gets cancelled again....

SolusLupus
2010-Jul-21, 03:50 PM
I only had to see the commercial about a two-headed goat eating its own vomit to know that some of the magic was gone.

At least the movies were good.

Swift
2010-Jul-21, 05:08 PM
I only had to see the commercial about a two-headed goat eating its own vomit to know that some of the magic was gone.
I thought the same thing. I watched about 5 minutes of one, just "because", and couldn't get back into it.

Jim
2010-Jul-31, 07:23 PM
The latest episode (The Late Phillip J. Fry) was a good one. I especially liked how they resolved the time travel paradox... and the closing scene of Bender putting it to rest.

JustAFriend
2010-Aug-01, 02:00 AM
Yes, looks like they just needed some time to get their legs back.

The episodes are getting MUCH better... here's hoping they keep it up!

Ilya
2010-Aug-03, 03:24 PM
True, "Attack of the Killer App" was gross with no redeeming features, but "Lethal Inspection" is IMO one of the best episodes ever.

Fazor
2010-Aug-03, 03:31 PM
True, "Attack of the Killer App" was gross with no redeeming features, but "Lethal Inspection" is IMO one of the best episodes ever.
I liked the 'Late Philip J Fry' (from Jim's post) better, but 'Lethal Inspection' was good too. It's funny that after we all complained about the first few new episodes, it seems most of us kept watching anyway. Lets see if they can keep it goin'.

I'll admit, it's still not the first thing I watch off my DVR list each week, but I haven't taken it off the series-manager either.

Githyanki
2010-Aug-03, 08:05 PM
Futurama filled a different comedy niche.

For me, Futurama was always entertaining, but not too funny. Some of the episodes were well written, but not that funny.

Fazor
2010-Aug-03, 08:23 PM
Futurama filled a different comedy niche.

For me, Futurama was always entertaining, but not too funny. Some of the episodes were well written, but not that funny.

For me, the original Futurama was nice because it reminded me more of the Simpons' glory days than the newer Simpsons seasons. That's not in any way to say that I ever found Futurama as funny as classic Simpsons, but it was better than what the Simpsons had become.

novaderrik
2010-Aug-04, 07:59 PM
i like Futurama because all the characters seem like real people, and the situations they are put in somehow seem real, too. yeah, they do some outlandish stuff, but setting it 1000 years in the future helps with the suspension of disbelief.

i also relate to Philip J Fry for some reason. and the way Morbo feels about the "puny humans".

does anyone here feel the need to point out the flaws in how they handled the end and rebirth of the universe? and what kinds of implications will come about because the doctor killed Hitler as they were passing thru time? i love the last time thru - "i'll just shoot Hitler out the window as we pass by"..
and what if it was really Flexo that they landed on at the end, and another Bender is still out there somewhere?
or do these questions not matter because it's freakin' Futurama?

Jim
2010-Aug-04, 09:11 PM
The first time through the Professor shot Hitler. The second time - leaning out the window - he missed and shot Elanor Roosevelt.

novaderrik
2010-Aug-05, 12:01 AM
oh yeah.. i wonder how that affects things..

NerfTW
2010-Aug-05, 12:51 AM
Yeah, anybody who stopped watching after that horrible Eye phone episode (The one with the two headed goat eating it's vomit and the singing boil, for those who haven't been subjected to that ep) should start again. The last few have been great. It definitely took a while to get back in the swing of things. It almost felt like they wanted to cram the pop culture jokes they missed while off the air into the first few episodes.

Also, continuity seems to be coming back again, after completely ignoring it at several points. Like with the Proposition Infinity episode or Farnsworth saying Fry was his only living relative despite Cubert and Igor being his clone and son respectively.

Ilya
2010-Aug-05, 05:22 PM
Also, continuity seems to be coming back again, after completely ignoring it at several points. Like with the Proposition Infinity episode or Farnsworth saying Fry was his only living relative despite Cubert and Igor being his clone and son respectively.
Granted, continuity is often a problem in Futurama, but I would not count this as such. After all, Professor is senile, and often forgets that some person exists, or what he himself did an hour earlier.

Fazor
2010-Aug-05, 07:51 PM
. . . random, but I just figured out why 'The Year 2525' has been stuck in my head all day . . .

novaderrik
2010-Aug-06, 03:04 AM
. . . random, but I just figured out why 'The Year 2525' has been stuck in my head all day . . .

in the year 252525
when the backwards time machine had yet to arrive
there exists only one technology
a rusty sword for practicing proctology

novaderrik
2010-Aug-06, 03:05 AM
any thoughts about tonight's episode? i missed the first 10 minutes, but figured out what was going on.
since when does Nibbler just talk to everyone like that? i thought he was undercover...

DonM435
2010-Aug-06, 12:52 PM
The first time through the Professor shot Hitler. The second time - leaning out the window - he missed and shot Elanor Roosevelt.

But Eleanor Roosevelt wasn't shot in our timeline!

Shouldn't he have shot JFK instead? One could easily miss 18 years when zipping through time at that rate, and we all know that an extra gunman resolves many longstanding issues.

Fazor
2010-Aug-06, 01:31 PM
any thoughts about tonight's episode? i missed the first 10 minutes, but figured out what was going on.
since when does Nibbler just talk to everyone like that? i thought he was undercover...

I missed the first 10 minutes too (was watching the end of the Crew game. Win!), I watched about 30 seconds then realized it would be on again sometime after midnight, so I just told my DVR to record that one. Long story short; haven't seen it yet, but have it saved to watch sometime probably this weekend.

IsaacKuo
2010-Aug-06, 01:46 PM
Nibbler forgot to wipe everyone's memories at the end of the first movie.

Ilya
2010-Aug-06, 02:39 PM
Also, since Nibbler's mission (keep Fry alive so he could destroy the Flying Brains) has already been accomplished, he may not care much any more.

novaderrik
2010-Aug-07, 06:56 AM
i wonder how much they will play up the slight differences that could crop up from one universe to another? will Fry, the Professor, and Bender remember things happening that didn't happen in this universe?
i'm sure they will do something with it, as surely as the sun sets in the east..

Ilya
2010-Aug-16, 12:04 PM
The latest episode (The Late Phillip J. Fry) was a good one. I especially liked how they resolved the time travel paradox... and the closing scene of Bender putting it to rest.
That episode left for me a very bad aftertaste. I suppose it can be very sweet if you accept that time is circular, and Fry came back to make everything right -- but I was unable to see it that way. To me, they really went into NEXT universe, and in OUR universe Leela did grow old and bitter. (Also next one? Because they actually returned to third universe.) And in that third universe, Fry, Bender and Professor died for no good reason. And on top of that, I saw nothing funny about repeated highs and lows (mostly lows) of civilization. That's a trope I always hated -- no matter how it is done, it always seems to me as pointless and depressing as Motie Cycles, with incredible waste of lives.

I suppose I am reading way too much into a cartoon episode, but then, that's what makes "Futurama" so exceptional -- that it HAS depth to read into.

Fazor
2010-Aug-16, 01:34 PM
I just watched last week's episode, 'A Clockwork Origin', yesterday. Evolution versus Creationism? Yay! Though it obviously didn't take the subject that seriously. It still had some great parts; and I think I'm going to have to use the Professor's line, "I don't want to live on this planet any more!" the next time someone refuses to listen to reason and instead insists on some nonsense "theory". :)

IsaacKuo
2010-Aug-16, 01:57 PM
That episode left for me a very bad aftertaste. I suppose it can be very sweet if you accept that time is circular, and Fry came back to make everything right -- but I was unable to see it that way. To me, they really went into NEXT universe, and in OUR universe Leela did grow old and bitter. (Also next one? Because they actually returned to third universe.)
I thought it was sweet, and I agree with you that time was not supposed to be "circular".

We don't know the fate of the second Leela. It's possible that the second Fry/Professor/Bender didn't go flying off into the future, or that they managed to not fight each other long enough to figure out how to go back into the past. It's also possible that a previous universe's Fry/Professor/Bender did to the second universe's Fry/Professor/Bender what the "first" universe's Fry/Professor/Bender did to the third universe's Fry/Professor/Bender. Of course, there are also an infinite number of other possibilities involving parallel universes, etc.

And in that third universe, Fry, Bender and Professor died for no good reason. And on top of that, I saw nothing funny about repeated highs and lows (mostly lows) of civilization. That's a trope I always hated -- no matter how it is done, it always seems to me as pointless and depressing as Motie Cycles, with incredible waste of lives.
A lot of people die for no good reason. Futurama has always taken a comically relaxed attitude toward suffering, death, destroying the universe, and so on.

I suppose I am reading way too much into a cartoon episode, but then, that's what makes "Futurama" so exceptional -- that it HAS depth to read into.
You're not reading too much into it, but you're coming at it from a different direction than what's intended. Futurama is heavy into ironic lessons, or non-lessons.

Here, the ironic lesson is that you only get one chance, so you have to take it while you can. "The Late Phillip J. Fry" of the title is indeed always late, and in this case he's two universe lifetimes late! The other "late" Phillip J. Fry of the title is buried by Bender at the end; his life was cut short to emphasize this lesson. It's ironic because the one who truly learned this lesson died, while the one who lived didn't really learn this lesson because he was able to cheat around it.

See--it's not the case that you shouldn't think about it too hard. You're allowed to think about it too hard, and come up with interesting things to ponder. It's classic Futurama. It's just that you have to accept their extremely relaxed ground rules on what is acceptable/not acceptable in terms of life/death/morality before you can play around in their philosophical sandbox.

Ilya
2010-Aug-18, 05:47 PM
We don't know the fate of the second Leela. It's possible that the second Fry/Professor/Bender didn't go flying off into the future, or that they managed to not fight each other long enough to figure out how to go back into the past. It's also possible that a previous universe's Fry/Professor/Bender did to the second universe's Fry/Professor/Bender what the "first" universe's Fry/Professor/Bender did to the third universe's Fry/Professor/Bender. Of course, there are also an infinite number of other possibilities involving parallel universes, etc.

A lot of people die for no good reason. Futurama has always taken a comically relaxed attitude toward suffering, death, destroying the universe, and so on.
Sure. As in:

Zapp Brannigan: Kif, how many men did we lose?
Kif [with his trademark sigh]: All of them, sir.
Zapp Brannigan: Well, at least they won't mourn each other!

Usually this works for me. Not in "The Late Phillip J. Fry" though.

IsaacKuo
2010-Aug-21, 01:38 AM
This weeks episode, "The Prisoner of Benda", used mathematics! I can't remember the last time I saw mathematical theory used in fiction.

Jim
2010-Aug-22, 01:17 AM
Numb3rs?

IsaacKuo
2010-Aug-22, 01:48 AM
I never saw any episodes of Numb3rs. It's a crime drama, right? The last crime drama I watched was Wiseguy.

Jim
2010-Aug-23, 08:42 PM
It had its series finale last May.

The main characters were brothers, Don (FBI SAIC) and Charlie (prof of math at Cal Sci). Don would be investigating a crime and Charlie would use math to help find the bad guys. Charlie's girlfriend was also a Cal Sci math prof, his father was an engineer, and his best friend was a cosmology prof who flew on the Space Shuttle and the ISS. Bill Nye did a guest shot.

Math and science were a big part of every episode.

Fazor
2010-Aug-23, 08:46 PM
Was that the series finale? I thought I had read that it had been picked up for another season. We watched it every week. The story wasn't always the best, but the writing was fairly solid and the cast was excellent. At least, IMHO.

eta: You're right. At least, according to the infallible wikipedia. Sad news indeed.

Swift
2011-Sep-09, 01:49 PM
I watched the episode last night that did the three segments in different styles of animation. The storyline itself was mediocre, but the different styles were great. I particularly liked the last one, in the Japanese "action team" style. "Ha, Ha, Ha!"

Extravoice
2011-Sep-09, 02:37 PM
I agree, that was...interesting.

I liked the "Steamboat Willie" style of animation best, but the Japanese style was well done, too.
I really liked the Professor character in the Japanese style portion.

Fazor
2011-Sep-09, 02:41 PM
Meh, I liked the Japanimation style the least. I mean, the parody was well done, I just hate that kind of animation. The retro / Steam-boat style segment was my favorite. Had a soft spot for the second segment too, since I sort of enjoy video games and all. (see sig)

Garrison
2011-Sep-10, 01:53 PM
Did anyone else notice in 'All The Presidents Heads' that they mentioned the Professor was descended from Philo Farnsworth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philo_Farnsworth)? Who also is vital to the workings of Warehouse 13 (http://warehouse13.wikia.com/wiki/Farnsworth)? And does this mean Warehouse 1313 is in New New York? :)

Jim
2011-Sep-10, 04:54 PM
They were fun. The first one was easily the raunchiest Futurama yet. The middle brought back memories (shudder). And the last was a great and accurate parody.

Extravoice
2011-Sep-12, 01:47 AM
And the last was a great and accurate parody.

Oh, I see what you did there.