PDA

View Full Version : Phil Crosses to the Dark Side

Jim
2010-Jul-21, 06:07 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before. Our own Bad Astronomer has been lured to write for the SyFy Channel! We can only hope that he is more of a good influence than they are a bad one.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/07/20/master-of-blastr/

Buttercup
2010-Jul-21, 06:23 PM
Thank you for the warning. And that's the last time I talk to Phil! :mad:

SolusLupus
2010-Jul-21, 06:30 PM
So his article is, "You probably won't be picked up and killed by Predators", and ultimately, "You probably won't even MEET any aliens, because the chances of them existing is low and there's a hell of a long way to go".

I'm thinking that he won't be a SyFy favorite.

Argos
2010-Jul-21, 06:44 PM
"You probably won't even MEET any aliens, because the chances of them existing is low and there's a hell of a long way to go".

Aw, Im so disappointed...

SolusLupus
2010-Jul-21, 06:52 PM
Hm, I must have forgotten the link.

http://blastr.com/2010/07/science-columnastronomer-explains-why-youll-probably-never-meet-an-alien.php

And I have to say, if aliens are anything like those routinely depicted by the SyFy original movies, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy to never meet them...

NEOWatcher
2010-Jul-21, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't consider him to be crossing to the Dark Side. It sounds more like enlightening the Dark Side.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jul-21, 08:28 PM
"It is far better to light a light than to curse the darkness."
Sounds like he's trying to light a light on the Dark Side.

astromark
2010-Jul-21, 08:38 PM
If you want to change something. Do not fight it.. Join it... change is best achieved from within.

SolusLupus
2010-Jul-21, 09:28 PM
If you want to change something. Do not fight it.. Join it... change is best achieved from within.

Not a terrible philosophy, but not always tenable, especially when joining a group will necessarily limit what you can and cannot say. In this particular case, though, I think Phil Plait has a chance to do some good.

ABR.
2010-Jul-21, 09:35 PM
I haven't been keeping up with the BA's blog -- was this his Sooper Sekrit project, or has that yet to be revealed?

Noclevername
2010-Jul-21, 10:40 PM
Does this mean that SyFy will actually be showing science in their science fiction again?

KaiYeves
2010-Jul-21, 11:47 PM
It's a good article! I like it.

Solfe
2010-Jul-22, 02:14 AM
This couldn't as bad as Disney hiring Harlan Ellison.

Solfe

Spoons
2010-Jul-22, 04:33 AM
It sounds like he's simpy doing what he's always done. If the moon hoax types and the rest of that crowd would spit out some new bad astronomy he'd have something more to deal with there, but he's got to keep busy. Good on him!

It's not like he's going all Michio Kaku on us and suggesting we'll soon be teleporting to Mars for lunch dates. Is he? It's taking an awful long time to load that Blastr site. Maybe aliens are trying to crock-block him.

A little reality sprinkled around here and there is a good thing.

DonM435
2010-Jul-22, 12:58 PM
Dark Side? More like the Ultra-Lite Side!

Fazor
2010-Jul-22, 02:39 PM
Does that mean Phil's next edition of his book about possible end-of-earth scenarios will have to include the likes of 'Extermination by Mutant Grasshopper Sharks' or 'Mega Moose!' ?

Spoons
2010-Jul-22, 02:49 PM
Oh jeez I really hope so! I'll pre-order it now if he drops in to confirm.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Jul-22, 03:51 PM
Does that mean Phil's next edition of his book about possible end-of-earth scenarios will have to include the likes of 'Extermination by Mutant Grasshopper Sharks' or 'Mega Moose!' ?
Mega Moose power is to pull a lion from a hat.

Fazor
2010-Jul-22, 04:43 PM
Mega Moose power is to pull a lion from a hat.

. . . which will then go on a killing spree that might end humanity as we know it, unless the grizzled ex navy seal and the victoria-secret's-model-turned-biologist can band together to stop it! Next week, on the world-premiere of 'Mega Moose Looses the Largest Lion: Bullwinkle's Revenge!'

ABR.
2010-Jul-23, 05:03 PM
I haven't been keeping up with the BA's blog -- was this his Sooper Sekrit project, or has that yet to be revealed?

ToSeeked (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/106193-quot-Bad-Universe-quot-Phil-s-top-secret-project?p=1766646#post1766646)?

forrest noble
2010-Jul-23, 05:25 PM
Think this will be an interesting challenge for Phil. Maybe we will find out what Phil considers to be plausible science fiction that doesn't violate the ideas of today's physics too much.

Fazor
2010-Jul-23, 05:42 PM
ToSeeked (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/106193-quot-Bad-Universe-quot-Phil-s-top-secret-project?p=1766646#post1766646)?

I wouldn't say you were "tooseeked", as the post you linked wasn't posted until well after the post you quoted was posted. Though apparently the video in the post you linked was posted before the post you quoted was posted.

. . . POST! . . .

ABR.
2010-Jul-23, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't say you were "tooseeked", as the post you linked wasn't posted until well after the post you quoted was posted. Though apparently the video in the post you linked was posted before the post you quoted was posted.

. . . POST! . . .

I was just trying to teach that poster a lesson -- he's been getting on my nerves lately. Er, that is, I was just having a little fun (at my own expense).

Spoons
2010-Jul-23, 07:03 PM
Someone had to do it, and you were just the man for the job. Kudos, or something.

<;)>

Fazor
2010-Jul-23, 08:03 PM
I was just trying to teach that poster a lesson -- he's been getting on my nerves lately.
That's true; he can be a bit of a jer--oh, shhhh! I think he's listening in!

Roger E. Moore
2010-Jul-23, 09:14 PM
If those Irish elk had kept growing in size after the Ice Ages, they'd be masters of the world right now. We can't let this happen!