PDA

View Full Version : Record-breaking hailstone in South Dakota

Buttercup
2010-Jul-30, 08:19 PM
I didn't see/find this yet posted:

VIVIAN, S.D. – NOAA says a giant hailstone that fell in central South Dakota has broken U.S. records, even though the man who found it says it melted somewhat while waiting to be evaluated.

The NOAA's National Climate Extremes Committee says the hailstone found in the town of Vivian on July 23 measures 8 inches in diameter and weighs 1 pound, 15 ounces. The committee says the South Dakota ice chunk breaks records set by hailstones discovered in Nebraska and Kansas.

Ranch hand Leslie Scott says the hailstone was about 3 inches larger when he found it. Scott says he put it in the freezer but that he couldn't prevent some melting because of an hours-long power outage that followed the storm.

Yipes! That'd kill a person.

NickW
2010-Jul-30, 09:09 PM
Its scary to think about something like that falling out of the sky.

PetersCreek
2010-Jul-30, 09:32 PM
There was a big hail storm in Memphis, Tennessee where my dad lived as a kid. It occurred in the late 40s or early 50s and the hail stones were as big as softballs (3.5" to 4" in diameter). The storm stripped roofing and siding off of houses. It's hard to imagine hail twice as large and the damage it would do.

MAPNUT
2010-Jul-30, 09:47 PM
Record-breaking hailstone

Yipes! That'd kill a person.

Yeah, I was gonna say, what else did it break?

kleindoofy
2010-Jul-30, 10:10 PM
Munich, Germany, July 12th 1984.

I was at a late outdoor barbecue that evening, in an open park with no shelter. I was to the north of Munich and we didn't notice anything, but it was on the radio. We were slightly scared. If it had hit us, we would have had a big problem. Wide open park, only bushes, no big trees, no cars, just a few bicycles and motorcycles.

http://www.saevert.de/bilder/840712hagelkorn.jpg
(those are centimeters, not inches. 9cm = ~3,5 in.)

http://www.naturgewalten.de/2hagel840712.htm

Trebuchet
2010-Jul-30, 10:43 PM
I hate hail. We had several major hailstorms when I was a kid in Billings, MT that were very frightening experiences to a youngster. The stones were up to around the size of Kleindoofy's picture in some cases, but the worst of the storms had only about 1" diameter stones coupled with hurricane force winds. Pretty much every West-facing window in town was broken, and most of the siding on that side of the houses was ruined as well. Roofs were also badly damaged, more by the wind than the hail.

(Which just reminded me: our siding was made of asbestos! Times have changed on that one. I wonder if there's any of that siding still on the old house?)

One storm hit us as we were having a neighborhood picnic, coming on so fast we didn't even have time to run to the house. Instead, we ran into our detached garage. Unfortunately it faced West, with glass windows in the garage doors. We all huddled against the far wall, behind the cars, as ice and glass flew toward us. No one hurt, fortunately.

Even the smaller stones can ruin your whole day, those monsters would be a nightmare.

ETA: Here in the Great NorthWet, most folks don't really know what hail is. We get sleet, and they call it hail.

Larry Jacks
2010-Jul-31, 01:26 AM
The biggest hail I've personally witnessed was the size of golf balls. We had a storm two years ago that did thousands of dollars worth of damage to our house. Fortunately, insurance covered the damage. One of my coworkers was caught by the same storm while riding his motorcycle. He had on a helmet and a leather jacket but his hands and legs were pretty badly beaten up before he could take shelter under an overpass. While there, he heard a lady complaining about hail damage to her Mercedes. She looked over at him and seeing absolutely no sympathy in his eyes, just said, "Oh."

Buttercup
2010-Jul-31, 08:36 AM
The biggest hail I've personally witnessed was the size of golf balls. We had a storm two years ago that did thousands of dollars worth of damage to our house. Fortunately, insurance covered the damage. One of my coworkers was caught by the same storm while riding his motorcycle. He had on a helmet and a leather jacket but his hands and legs were pretty badly beaten up before he could take shelter under an overpass. While there, he heard a lady complaining about hail damage to her Mercedes. She looked over at him and seeing absolutely no sympathy in his eyes, just said, "Oh."

:D

Grew up in the Midwest, so know hail. But fortunately (for whatever reason) our area didn't see a lot of it like in surrounding regions. We "made up for it" in blizzards though. :( Once in a while we get pea-sized hail in this desert city. My husband, a native to the area, was curious (this was about 10 years ago) as it'd been so long and so he went outdoors. He sure hurried back under the carport! Lol. Our dog followed him; Prince instantly realized his mistake and began this weird/hilarious see-saw jumping up and down type movements. :lol: :lol: A second later he too dashed for the carport. :lol:

But yeah, grapefruit-sized hail and etc? Hope to never experience it.

novaderrik
2010-Jul-31, 05:45 PM
just 2 weeks ago i watched a storm build up over my head and dump golf ball sized hail for about 10 minutes.
from the time the clouds started swirling overhead to the time the hail and rain stopped was under a half hour. the rain gauge said just a little over an inch of rain fell, but i'm sure there was more than that since the rain mostly came in sideways. it was a really weird experience.
i love the weather here in west central MN sometimes..

Ara Pacis
2010-Aug-02, 04:26 AM
I hardly ever see hail in the Midwest. I guess it's mostly a Plains phenomena where supercells build up. Largest I've seen is about Quarter-sized.

mugaliens
2010-Aug-02, 06:40 AM
I hardly ever see hail in the Midwest. I guess it's mostly a Plains phenomena where supercells build up. Largest I've seen is about Quarter-sized.

We get hail here in Colorado Springs quite often. In 20 years, my parents have had their roof ruined twice, requiring a full replacement of all shingles. It's not uncommon to see cars in the shopping center parking lots which look like they've been beated by a ball-peen hammer.

Mister Earl
2010-Aug-02, 02:43 PM
When I'm at work and it hails out, I log off my phone and go out in the parking lot. I'm weird that way.

NEOWatcher
2010-Aug-02, 02:52 PM
When I'm at work and it hails out, I log off my phone and go out in the parking lot. I'm weird that way.
It's no wonder why you have that helmet.

Salty
2010-Aug-02, 09:06 PM
Although not frequent, hail is common, here. I think one time, some years ago, I put a chunk of hail twice the size of a golf ball in my freezer, to show off later. It was in my yard, among a few golf ball sized pieces and enough pea sized hail to turn the front yard white.

In the 17 years I've been here, five or six renting and the rest a home owner, my roof has been repaired twice, because of storms with hail. The first time, my landlady's insurance covered it and the second time, my insurance covered it.

DFW is no more than forty miles south of where the Great Plains end their southern expansion. This continental terrain feature is like a huge funnel, opening wider as the plains extend north into Canada. So, we get great plains weather, when the wind's from that direction. A few hundred miles west, the Great American Desert's out riders come into west Texas, and we get that weather when the winds come from the west. Just east of us, the Mississippi runs into the Ohio valley, and we get their weather when the wind's from there. And, of course, every time a hurricane hits our Gulf coast, we get thunderstorms in this area. That's Texas, located at the fulcrum of three major terrain features and one major ocean feature. Jes' depends on which way the wind blows, as to what kinda weather we git. :surprised

BigDon
2010-Aug-02, 09:41 PM
We almost never get hail or lightening on the peninsula. To the point where I'm still fascinated by both instead of learning to fear or hate it.

Ara Pacis
2010-Aug-03, 05:29 AM
We almost never get hail or lightening on the peninsula. To the point where I'm still fascinated by both instead of learning to fear or hate it.

No lightning either? Don't they ever have storms there? Heck, I was nearly struck by lightning just last month. I think it was within a couple hundred feet and I and the semi in front of me both wandered off the road that night from flash blindness.

NickW
2010-Aug-03, 07:39 AM
My last car looks like it was beat with a hammer, or used for practice at a driving range, due to hail. We lived in extreme south eastern Kansas at the time.

DonM435
2010-Aug-05, 03:46 PM
I'm amused that the weather news people always describe hail size in terms of some familiar object, e.g. gold balls, as if the viewers may not understand the exotic concept of "diameter."

We used to havce a grapefruit tree in our back yard. This permitted me to look out the window after a storm and say "Good Lord! Grapefruit-sized hail! . . . No, sorry . . . just grapefruit."

But a succession of bad storms (and the power company's trucks going through our yard) finished off our tree some years ago.