PDA

View Full Version : Aurora tours for solar maximum in 2012?

evenprimes
2010-Aug-05, 04:59 AM
I've been thinking a bit about taking a trip to see the aurora and solar maximum in 2012 seems like a good time. I live in the southern US, so I can't really see the aurora at home.

Are there tours/packages for this type of event? I'm thinking one of the northern European countries and getting in a little exploration beyond the aurora as well.

As a second question: if you've done a aurora trip (either in a tour or just on your own) any advice?

Thanks!

PetersCreek
2010-Aug-05, 07:01 AM
Depending on where you go, you'll need a flexible itinerary. Even at solar maximum, you can't be guaranteed a show on any particular night. Then there's weather, so be prepared to wait.

As for tour packages, just Google: travel aurora borealis. You'll find trips to my neck of the woods and places abroad, like Greenland and Scandinavia.

tusenfem
2010-Aug-10, 11:35 AM
Let's just move in for a month or so at Brett's, then we will be sure to see some aurora.

Swift
2010-Aug-10, 03:32 PM
I like that plan. He could feed us home-made sausage. Brilliant!

PetersCreek
2010-Aug-10, 06:35 PM
Okay...but you're all sharing the bed in the guest room...and be warned, I'll put you to work on the house or the yard. In fact, the best viewing time of year guarantees there will be snow to shovel.