PDA

View Full Version : How much is gasoline a gallon where you live?

bunker9603
2010-Aug-09, 04:25 PM
In Cincinnati the average price is roughly $2.73 per gallon, but if I drive about 10 miles north to the next county it is almost .10 cents a gallon less. Does anybody know why the price fluctuates so much in such a small geographical area?

Trebuchet
2010-Aug-09, 05:27 PM
Could be local taxes, proximity to the refinery, number of available stations for competition, or most often just because they can. Local taxes are a reasonable probability in a large city.

And you're doing better than we are. Average for regular unleaded is around $3.00 here, although it's as much as .15 or .20 less at discount places such as Costco.

NEOWatcher
2010-Aug-09, 05:34 PM
In Cincinnati the average price is roughly $2.73 per gallon, but if I drive about 10 miles north to the next county it is almost .10 cents a gallon less. Does anybody know why the price fluctuates so much in such a small geographical area?
10 miles? The gas price in my zip code alone varies by 11 cents. (2.68 to 2.79 per Ohio Gas Prices (http://www.ohiogasprices.com/index.aspx) )

Here's an incomplete list of factors.
1. Volume. The more they can sell, the less the fixed costs come into play.
2. Location. Some locations have enough demand that won't go away even with higher prices.
3. Timing. Gas prices are volatile enough that some stations will vary depending on when the gas is delivered.
4. Bait. Many gas stations don't make a profit on gas, but use the price as a way to get people into thier "mini mart".
5. Garages. Many garages have gas sales out of convenience, but can afford to charge more because it's not thier primary income. (One station around here was selling gas at around 2 to 3 times the normal price because the city law required garages to sell gas, and they didn't want to be bothered with it)

bunker9603
2010-Aug-09, 05:43 PM
Speaking of location, gas is probably higher by highway on-off ramps.

tlbs101
2010-Aug-09, 05:45 PM
I paid $2.58 at Costco last Friday. It remains at that price, today.

I also started tailgating semi-truck-trailers when visiting my fiancee (90 miles away) so that the gas milage in my '99 Corolla exceeds 36 mpg. I still use the 2-second rule (well, maybe the 1.5 second rule) for tailgating. I found that it increases my mileage by about 9% (from 33 to 36 mpg).

bunker9603
2010-Aug-09, 06:17 PM
My teenage son was driving me the other day and he was "Drafting" behind a semi on the highway for the same reason. He was making me really nervous so I offered to pay for his gas at the next fill-up.

cjl
2010-Aug-09, 07:03 PM
Around here, it's around $2.65 or so, at least where I normally fill up.

Strange
2010-Aug-09, 07:08 PM
How much is a gallon of gasoline? About 4.5 litres I think. :)

Around here that works out to $8.50/gallon :eek:

kleindoofy
2010-Aug-09, 07:25 PM
... About 4.5 litres I think. ...
More like 3.8l, unless, you used imperial gallons.

With the Euro at 1US$ = 0.755 Euro, I come to US$ 7,20/gallon at my location.

Although he/she didn't specify, I'm assuming that bunker9603 was referring to US$. Please excuse my assumption if I'm wrong and he/she was referring to Autralian, Canadian, or any of the other >24 currencies named dollar.

Trebuchet
2010-Aug-09, 07:26 PM
How much is a gallon of gasoline? About 4.5 litres I think. :)

Around here that works out to $8.50/gallon :eek:

That would be an Imperial gallon. A US gallon is only about 3.8 liters. (Those are US liters, as opposed to continental litres.)

ETA: Dang! Kleindoofy jumped in while I was composing my reply!

kleindoofy
2010-Aug-09, 07:28 PM
... (Those are US liters, as opposed to continental litres.)
You mean continental liters, as opposed to insular litres. ;)

NEOWatcher
2010-Aug-09, 07:40 PM
... I'm assuming that bunker9603 was referring to US$. Please excuse my assumption...
It's nice of you to be considerate of the assumption, but I would say that Bunkers location being Cincinnati, Ohio makes the assumption fairly rock solid. Especially with the use of gallons and miles. :)

slang
2010-Aug-09, 07:52 PM
It's gone down a bit, but when I did the calculation (gallon/liter, $/EUR) it was close to $10 last year, IIRC. V8's are not very popular here. :)

Strange
2010-Aug-09, 07:54 PM
More like 3.8l, unless, you used imperial gallons.

Doh. I should have realised that. Especially as we had a recent thread on different units...

kleindoofy
2010-Aug-09, 08:04 PM
It's nice of you to be considerate of the assumption, but I would say that Bunkers location being Cincinnati, Ohio makes the assumption fairly rock solid. Especially with the use of gallons and miles. :)
Yes, but one never knows.

Since this is an international board, I'd never want to assume a mono-cultural view in which a poster simply takes in for granted that all other board members are from his or her own country. Heaven forbid! ;)

bunker9603
2010-Aug-09, 08:11 PM
kleindoofy

Although he/she didn't specify, I'm assuming that bunker9603 was referring to US$. Please excuse my assumption if I'm wrong and he/she was referring to Autralian, Canadian, or any of the other >24 currencies named dollar.

He btw, and actually I am now kind of curious as to what the price is worldwide...I had no idea the cost difference was that much higher in some other countries. I am guessing that the cost of living in general compared to the US is higher in Germany, Austrailia? Another example: it cost me about $2.25 for a gallon (3.78l) of milk. How does that compare?

Argos
2010-Aug-09, 08:21 PM
After having made the conversions, I get US$ 4.72 a US gallon. But you have to be a fool to use gasoline, since our cars run on ethanol [in fatc we use flex engines], which costs half the price and yields 20% more power.

NEOWatcher
2010-Aug-09, 08:21 PM
I am guessing that the cost of living in general compared to the US is higher in Germany, Austrailia?
I'm sure the cost of living has something to do with it, but taxes are a much larger part of it.

Here's an outdated example (from 2005)

An International Perspective on Gasoline Taxes (http://www.urban.org/publications/1000845.html)
It's very evident from the chart how much taxes play into the issue.

bunker9603
2010-Aug-09, 08:29 PM
I'm sure the cost of living has something to do with it, but taxes are a much larger part of it.

Here's an outdated example (from 2005)

An International Perspective on Gasoline Taxes (http://www.urban.org/publications/1000845.html)
It's very evident from the chart how much taxes play into the issue.

Thank you for the link and you are correct the taxes play a HUGE issue.

Fazor
2010-Aug-09, 08:37 PM
I haven't had to fill up for a few weeks, so I'm not really sure. I think we're about $2.67/gal. There's a station a few places down from the office, but a big tree is blocking my view of their sign.

kleindoofy
2010-Aug-09, 08:40 PM
... it cost me about $2.25 for a gallon (3.78l) of milk. How does that compare?
Without running out to check, I'd say a liter of milk costs about USD$3.50 here (= 71 Eurocent/l)

As for the gas price, about 60% of the gas price in Germany is taxes. The great part is that we taxes on the taxes, i.e. we pay VAT (value added tax = sales tax) on the price + mineral fuel tax.

kleindoofy
2010-Aug-09, 08:42 PM
... a big tree is blocking my view of their sign.
How ironic.

Fazor
2010-Aug-09, 08:45 PM
How ironic.
:) Well, technically it's blocked by a big tree, as well as a big sign for the restaurant next door. Apparently there's a sale on fried clams. No word on their price-per-gallon though.

Swift
2010-Aug-09, 08:50 PM
:) Well, technically it's blocked by a big tree, as well as a big sign for the restaurant next door. Apparently there's a sale on fried clams. No word on their price-per-gallon though.
I hope the sale for fried clams is at the restaurant, and not at the gas station or the big tree. :)

George
2010-Aug-09, 08:56 PM
$2.53 to $2.69, depending on shopping skills. The gas station price across from the refinery (south about 70 miles) is closer to the higher price.

bunker9603
2010-Aug-09, 09:02 PM
$2.53 to $2.69, depending on shopping skills. The gas station price across from the refinery (south about 70 miles) is closer to the higher price.

Go figure

cjl
2010-Aug-09, 09:37 PM
After having made the conversions, I get US$ 4.72 a US gallon. But you have to be a fool to use gasoline, since our cars run on ethanol [in fatc we use flex engines], which costs half the price and yields 20% more power.

Actually, ethanol has somewhat less energy per gallon that gasoline, although if it's half the price of gas, you're still getting more energy per dollar out of the ethanol.

slang
2010-Aug-09, 10:10 PM
Thank you for the link and you are correct the taxes play a HUGE issue.

And here in the Netherlands there are other (non-fuel) added costs that, I think, are much higher than most other countries. Insurance is mandatory, but won't break your back if it's liability only (not the car itself), there's a pretty steep tax (thousands) on buying new cars, and there's "road using tax" that's based on car weight. The heavier the car, the more you pay. Diesel and LPG are more expensive in taxes than gasoline (have to drive quite a lot to make it cost effective, the fuel itself is cheaper than gasoline). Tax cuts are available for hybrid cars (electric/gasoline). I'm not sure that general cost of living is more expensive here, but owning and driving cars most certainly is. Small country, congested roads, and the whole "green" thing.. *sigh*

Argos
2010-Aug-09, 10:35 PM
Actually, ethanol has somewhat less energy per gallon that gasoline...

But with ethanol engines work on a higher compression rate. It pays off.

Romanus
2010-Aug-09, 10:55 PM
$2.55 here.

mike alexander
2010-Aug-10, 12:15 AM
About three bucks, American, per gallon, in the great pacific northwest. No kore than half what it should be. Maybe a third what it should be.

bunker9603
2010-Aug-10, 12:36 AM
slang

there's a pretty steep tax (thousands) on buying new cars, and there's "road using tax" that's based on car weight. The heavier the car, the more you pay.

Man, that is a lot of additional expense! I would guess that there are not a lot of big SUV's on the road

SeanF
2010-Aug-10, 12:45 AM
As luck would have it, I just filled up today. Paid $2.599 a gallon.

mike alexander
2010-Aug-10, 12:53 AM
Since I've given up on Americans wanting anything but gas at $0.30 per gallon, I'm hoping that the price here goes through the floor. May as well bring the Seldon Crisis on ASAP.

NickW
2010-Aug-10, 01:53 AM
The gas station right across the street is at $2.91/gal

The one 4 miles away is $2.79/gal.

And I would not recommend tailgating a semi. For some reason, the back of those trailers don't bend all that much.... :)