PDA

View Full Version : Warehouse 13

mugaliens
2010-Aug-12, 04:05 AM
I am SUCH a fan! What can I say? I'm a sucker for crazy, off the wall TV shows.

Like M.A.S.H. for example...

korjik
2010-Aug-13, 12:22 AM
Mrs. Fredricks is Batman!

(For all those who wonder about that statement: Go watch the show!)

Jim
2010-Aug-13, 03:10 PM
I really like this series. The characters are likable. They have some very creative story lines. (HG Wells is alive, a villain and a woman?) And, the odd happenings are not supernatural.

They have some good commercials, too. Who knew the statue of Liberty was controlled by a cigarette lighter?

Jim
2010-Aug-13, 03:10 PM
Oh...

Thread moved from OTB.

swampyankee
2010-Aug-13, 04:06 PM
Cute show, although the recent tie-in with Eureka is annoying. While I think the Claudia character is amusing -- who doesn't like cute blondes with streaked hair? -- I think having her visit GD is close to shark jumping.

novaderrik
2010-Aug-13, 06:13 PM
this is one of those shows that i wanted to watch when i saw previews before it premiered, but i missed that first episode and just never bothered with trying to watch it.

mugaliens
2010-Aug-13, 09:19 PM
I really like this series. The characters are likable. They have some very creative story lines. (HG Wells is alive, a villain and a woman?) And, the odd happenings are not supernatural.

They have some good commercials, too. Who knew the statue of Liberty was controlled by a cigarette lighter?

She is? I missed an episode!

korjik
2010-Aug-14, 04:01 PM
Cute show, although the recent tie-in with Eureka is annoying. While I think the Claudia character is amusing -- who doesn't like cute blondes with streaked hair? -- I think having her visit GD is close to shark jumping.

Not any more than Fargo at the warehouse. Technically, the two shows suffer from a bit of incompatability. Eureka would probably generate an artifact a week, and alot of the semi-technological artifacts would end up at GD. They would have to know about one another.

Ara Pacis
2010-Aug-18, 05:10 AM
Did someone say the series doesn't use the supernatural? How are the artifacts powered, blue smoke?

I've been watching it since episode one, but this season is kinda silly compared to the first season which seemed somewhat darker and more serious.

Van Rijn
2010-Aug-18, 06:40 AM
It's not magic. It's midichlorians.

A few of the artifacts might be passed off as suppressed advanced technology (like Tesla guns) but most of the artifacts look like magic/supernatural to me (for instance, the Phoenix charm, bringing one person back to life in exchange for the life of another).

Jim
2010-Aug-19, 01:27 AM
There was a Canadian series, Friday the Thirteenth: The Series that used a similar premise. artifacts that did strange things had to be retrieved and stored. An older gentleman coordinated the efforts and a young man and young woman did the field work. In this series they were quite clear that the artifacts were magically cursed, that supernatural, demonic forces were behind them.

In Warehouse 13 they made it clear in the pilot that the artifacts were not magic; they were powered by some unknown, poorly understood, but natural force. This force can be controlled - not by magic or spells or incantations, but - by the purple goo that is manufactured on site, by chemicals and machines, not magic. They never try to explain the strange force, but they also never claim it is supernatural.

Krel
2010-Aug-19, 01:30 AM
My favorite scene of the whole tv series so far? Take off Timothy Leary's Glasses! Love the view from the glasses and the fact that the glasses come with their own soundtrack. :lol:

David.

Jim
2010-Aug-19, 01:35 AM
I liked the followup scene where Pete takes Artie to the vet to have his appendix removed. The vet hesitates because Artie isn't an animal. Pete says he can turn him into a walrus if that will help.

Gillianren
2010-Aug-19, 03:00 AM
I wish fewer of the artifacts tied in to specific famous people. Can no one have any skill, creativity, or ingenuity without an artifact involved somehow?

Oh, and how obvious is it that Claudia is Kari Byron disguised as a computer expert?

swampyankee
2010-Aug-19, 03:22 AM
Oh, and how obvious is it that Claudia is Kari Byron disguised as a computer expert?

It wasn't obvious to me. I just thought Claudia was that hackneyed trope of tv and movie sf: the brilliant, badly behaved, and misunderstood person in their teens or early twenties. In Eureka, this role was filled by Zane, but pretty much the entire staff of GD except for Alison could fill that role.

I miss Tess. Can we have her back?

Van Rijn
2010-Aug-19, 03:38 AM
In Warehouse 13 they made it clear in the pilot that the artifacts were not magic; they were powered by some unknown, poorly understood, but natural force. This force can be controlled - not by magic or spells or incantations, but - by the purple goo that is manufactured on site, by chemicals and machines, not magic. They never try to explain the strange force, but they also never claim it is supernatural.

Magic By Any Other Name (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicByAnyOtherName) (Note: TVTropes link. It's easy to spend a lot of time at that site.)

There don't seem to be any real limits to what artifacts can do, and they've gotten into what looks like supernatural territory, whatever they want to call it.

Gillianren
2010-Aug-19, 05:00 AM
It wasn't obvious to me. I just thought Claudia was that hackneyed trope of tv and movie sf: the brilliant, badly behaved, and misunderstood person in their teens or early twenties. In Eureka, this role was filled by Zane, but pretty much the entire staff of GD except for Alison could fill that role.

Ah. See, broadly, I was that person, though not quite badly behaved. The reason that person crops up so often in sci-fi is that the character resonates with quite a lot of the viewing audience. Even if we never did what the characters did, we wanted to believe we would, or at least could, if the opportunity came up. I meant more in appearance, though.

Ara Pacis
2010-Aug-19, 05:15 AM
I don't see it. Kari Byron comes across as fearless and capable, anything but awkward, but Claudia Donovan (Allison Scagliotti) loses her mind at the sight of guys.

Gillianren
2010-Aug-19, 05:57 AM
Only ones her own age. However, she has the physical appearance and the snark.

Ara Pacis
2010-Aug-20, 05:30 AM
I still don't see it, but if the character gets pregnant, I may concede the point.

swampyankee
2010-Aug-20, 12:10 PM
I still don't see it, but if the character gets pregnant, I may concede the point.

…and does a crossover appearance on Mythbusters…

I'm afraid I don't see the similarity either.

Gillianren
2010-Aug-20, 05:47 PM
Just me, then? Okay.

ABR.
2010-Aug-20, 05:55 PM
My wife dislikes both Kari Byron and Claudia, if that helps.

Jim
2010-Aug-20, 06:17 PM
Just me, then? Okay.

I did not see it until you mentioned it, but I do now... young, female, smart, cute, sassy, enthusiastic, colorful hair... yeah.

Do you think Artie will start wearing a beret?

Ara Pacis
2010-Aug-20, 06:26 PM
How many similarities of personality make a match? How many personality descriptors exist?

Gillianren
2010-Aug-20, 08:42 PM
I did not see it until you mentioned it, but I do now... young, female, smart, cute, sassy, enthusiastic, colorful hair... yeah.

Do you think Artie will start wearing a beret?

He'd have to shave his head first, and I think that would be terrifying. I thought about the Claudia/Kari thing a few weeks ago and have been unable to find anyone here with enough familiarity with both shows to venture an opinion. Except Graham, and he said, "Huh."

mythbustersFan
2010-Aug-23, 09:34 PM
(warning: I'm a drive by poster who found this thread via google).

Just me, then? Okay.

Not just you. I watched an episode of W13 recently for the first time and I spotted a resemblance immediately. My wife thought she looked strangely familiar to her but couldn't quite place it until I named Kari, and then agreed.

It could just be "parallel evolution", but I bet the W13 creators had seen Kari on Mythbusters..