PDA

View Full Version : Any Companies Supplying Internet Shills?

tashirosgt
2010-Aug-12, 04:57 PM
I wonder if there are any companies that hire people to work at home as internet shills - people that would visit forums and other sites to inflate their traffic statistics.

The particular case I that brings this to mind is the current traffic on the discussion groups at mysears.com. The AFA (American Family...something er nuther) is conducting a post-in campaign against various wall posters that Sears sells. The AFA finds them offensive. About the same time this campaign got underway, a group of new members joined who make several posts per day on relatively inane subjects like "What is your favorite pet?". Many of the new group frequently post topics with grammatical mistakes such as "Have you ever feel in love?". It makes me wonder if these originate from the same countries that provide customer support!

Edit: I found this example: http://www.news1130.com/news/national/article/58287--harper-government-monitoring-online-chats-about-politics

Moose
2010-Aug-12, 08:51 PM
Sounds more like radar-hugging spammers to me. It's currently the most prolific spam technique used on BAUT. (Check their profiles and visitor messages. That's where the spam vector tends to be on that class of spammer.)

Strange
2010-Aug-12, 09:54 PM
I wonder if there are any companies that hire people to work at home as internet shills - people that would visit forums and other sites to inflate their traffic statistics.

Would people be willing to pay for such a service? Almost certainly yes. Therefore, such companies exist . No idea who they are or the scale of the operations, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a massive market.

If they don't there is clearly a business opportunity there.

kleindoofy
2010-Aug-12, 10:38 PM
Would people be willing to pay for such a service? ...
Sure, but why pay humans to do something bots can do much better?

Most forum spamming is done by automation.

Githyanki
2010-Aug-13, 07:54 PM
A simply keyword search could provide tons of marketing information; may not be as reliable as people tend to exaggerate: I don't make 20k a year, it's 30k etc.

If you want to make money off of the internet, you have to create the next MySpace, Facebook or Twitter...