PDA

View Full Version : Mr Hawking said...

astromark
2010-Aug-13, 08:03 AM
Yes, in the news today Mr Stephen Hawking has been at it again...

" Humanity must get off this planet quickly and into space or face extinction."

and I am surprised you are not all talking it up already. Just as we reasoned he had a point with

"We should be a little quieter, for our own good."

and let it be clear. I think hes right.

If a notable physicist says these thing often enough... The political will might be swayed.

That would be great... yes,. ?

WaxRubiks
2010-Aug-13, 09:21 AM
I've been trying to get off this planet for years....

astromark
2010-Aug-13, 10:13 AM
Its easy... just jump. :eh:

EricFD
2010-Aug-13, 03:02 PM
If we had the technology to do so, I'm sure many of us would have already left by now. I know I would have.

BigDon
2010-Aug-13, 04:30 PM
Any of you consider that, at the end of the day, Mr. Hawkins is as human as the rest of us, and that he just might be preoccupied by his own obviously upcoming mortality?

You might judge him a little easier if you did.

Perikles
2010-Aug-13, 05:39 PM
Yes, in the news today Mr Stephen Hawking has been at it again... Do you ignore academic titles by mistake, or do you have a problem with them?

trinitree88
2010-Aug-13, 08:03 PM
Any of you consider that, at the end of the day, Mr. Hawkins is as human as the rest of us, and that he just might be preoccupied by his own obviously upcoming mortality?

You might judge him a little easier if you did.
BigDon. Good point. I hope he lives to see a Mars colony at the least. pete

Trakar
2010-Aug-13, 08:51 PM
BigDon. Good point. I hope he lives to see a Mars colony at the least. pete

I'd be satisfied if he survived to see a nice functional orbital station (with a hotel).

astromark
2010-Aug-13, 09:09 PM
Do you ignore academic titles by mistake, or do you have a problem with them?

Sorry... Yes and NO. :) If I must defend my view... where did this idea come from ?

Is it Sir Doctor Hawking. I note that the term Mr is recognition of greatness... I have absolute regard for the accomplishments of the man.

As Don said. His perspective might be distorted slightly... He's selling a idea. a book, a television series... I still agree with him.

BlueCoyote
2010-Sep-03, 11:23 PM
I keep coming back to the idea - if there is a god and all the scientific hypothesizing is wrong - hey its wrong all you've done is bump your gums. Mr Hawkings is still potentially a good person and a few wrong opinions doesn't really hurt anyone.
If he is wrong and god does exist...
Would god be such a petty person to deny him entry based on a few random ideas that a person held while he was alive.
If god was good to me he would understand weakness and accept it for what it was - something withing something he had created.
Thus Hawkings should follow his opnions if he is wrong god gets a laugh and what god does when he arrives at the pearly gates is what god decides .

Imagine S Hawknig dies and becomes a ghost how confused would he be to be to be a ghost with no belief in the afterlife?
He would probably love it but how confused would he be??

If he is right and there is no afterlife he has a good laugh now when he,s able and there's nothing after.

Surely god is great enought that he realizes that Mr Hawking is just maximizising his options in this life irrespective of the next

Sticks
2010-Sep-04, 05:46 AM
This discussion is moving in to that of religion and thus in violation of the rules

I am locking this thread while it is discussed amongst the moderators