PDA

View Full Version : Magnification

savepluto
2010-Aug-14, 06:24 PM
Does anyone have any info on the highest magnification eye piece that is suitable for a Meade NG 60SM telescope. It came with a MH 9mm and a MH 25mm. Can I use one that is stronger with this particular telescope. Thanks in advance for any advice.

grapes
2010-Aug-14, 10:41 PM
Welcome to BAUT, savepluto
Does anyone have any info on the highest magnification eye piece that is suitable for a Meade NG 60SM telescope. It came with a MH 9mm and a MH 25mm. Can I use one that is stronger with this particular telescope. Thanks in advance for any advice.Your telescope has a focal length of 700mm, so the magnifications by the two lenses are 28x (700/25) and 78x (700/9). Practically, the highest usable magnification is given by 2 times the aperture in mm, which would be 120x (2 x 60) in your case. But that would be under ideal conditions, and high quality.

Romanus
2010-Aug-15, 05:02 PM
If you can, buy a Barlow and stick with your 25mm eyepiece; the eye relief will be better, and in my own experience with a 60mm telescope, 60-70x gave the best results under general observing conditions. If you just want an eyepiece, a 7mm will give you 100x, which--again, in my experience--is about as high as you're going to want to go with this telescope.

Best of luck!