PDA

View Full Version : H alpha broad line emission

trinitree88
2010-Aug-16, 07:05 PM
A new technique modeling the H-alpha emission from galaxies is used to estimate the size of the H-alpha broad emission region...in M-84. It is much larger than previously thought...~ 7-9 parsecs. SEE:http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1008/1008.2339v1.pdf

EricFD
2010-Aug-17, 02:56 AM
I think the Keplarian disk with starburst activity and shocks is the most likely explanation for the large BLR since the AGN itself as the primary source of such a large BLR has been ruled out.

In disk galaxies with AGN and large BLR that I have analyzed in the past, it's usually the case that a nuclear ring forms as a result of starburst activity induced by a rapidly rotating massive accretion disk. Not exactly the same situation but similar. But, I'm certainly far from an expert on AGN.

Interesting paper.

trinitree88
2010-Aug-17, 07:57 PM
I think the Keplarian disk with starburst activity and shocks is the most likely explanation for the large BLR since the AGN itself as the primary source of such a large BLR has been ruled out.

In disk galaxies with AGN and large BLR that I have analyzed in the past, it's usually the case that a nuclear ring forms as a result of starburst activity induced by a rapidly rotating massive accretion disk. Not exactly the same situation but similar. But, I'm certainly far from an expert on AGN.

Interesting paper.

ERIC. You're much more expert than I here,glad you found it interesting. pete