PDA

View Full Version : Gusev crater for sale...

kucharek
2004-Apr-02, 12:02 PM
I hope this isn't too much of a commercial plug, but I saw Rick Sternbach, who was senior illustrator for Star Trek for 15 years (one of the designs I liked most was the Ares IV spacecraft from the ST:VOY episode "One Small Step"), opened a new business and among others sells a Mars globe (http://www.spacemodelsystems.com/globes.html) (1600$, beyond my capabilities...) and among other terrain models also one of Gusev crater (http://www.spacemodelsystems.com/terrains.html) (65$, that may get a second look...).

Harald

tlbs101
2004-Apr-02, 03:59 PM
For $1600, you would think that they would include a wood stand.

harlequin
2004-Apr-04, 02:57 AM
I hope this isn't too much of a commercial plug, but I saw Rick Sternbach, who was senior illustrator for Star Trek for 15 years (one of the designs I liked most was the Ares IV spacecraft from the ST:VOY episode "One Small Step"), opened a new business and among others sells a Mars globe (http://www.spacemodelsystems.com/globes.html) (1600$, beyond my capabilities...) and among other terrain models also one of Gusev crater (http://www.spacemodelsystems.com/terrains.html) (65$, that may get a second look...).

Is technobabble included? :D

Rick Sternbach
2004-Apr-16, 04:12 PM

If you look at the globe page, you'd see it clearly states WITH STAND.

Rick

Spacewriter
2004-Apr-16, 06:08 PM

If you look at the globe page, you'd see it clearly states WITH STAND.

Rick

Hey Rick (THE Rick Sternbach?!?);)

... we met a few years back on the Star Trek set and you showed us some work you were doing... I was working for Sky & Tel at the time, my husband (the planetarium guy) was long and Andre B. was showing us around...

Good to see you here! (Let me be among the first to welcome you)...

Rick Sternbach
2004-Apr-17, 03:37 PM
Hey Rick (THE Rick Sternbach?!?);)

... we met a few years back on the Star Trek set and you showed us some work you were doing... I was working for Sky & Tel at the time, my husband (the planetarium guy) was long and Andre B. was showing us around...

Good to see you here! (Let me be among the first to welcome you)...

C'est moi. I figured it was time to get back to my real space roots, though I'd never turn down a good solid SF design job. SMS is building bit by bit; the 24" globe is mainly intended for space science centers and such.

Anyhow, good to be here; thanks for the nice words.

Rick
www.spacemodelsystems.com

R.A.F.
2004-Apr-17, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the board, Rick!

I love your work!! (doesn't everybody??) :)

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Apr-17, 08:16 PM
Yeah, welcome. I forgot that Spacewriter knew Andre too... haven't heard from him in a while, but I'm guessing he's pretty busy. If only I could get him to join up here. :o

Nice to have another artist and space aficionado here!

Rick Sternbach
2004-Apr-17, 08:42 PM
Yeah, welcome. I forgot that Spacewriter knew Andre too... haven't heard from him in a while, but I'm guessing he's pretty busy. If only I could get him to join up here. :o

Thanks, Phil. If Enterprise doesn't get picked up for a fourth season, Andre might have a lot of time to hang out here. :)

Now I've got to explore the forum topics a bit and see what's going on.

Rick

johnwitts
2004-Apr-17, 08:54 PM

Thanks, Phil. If Enterprise doesn't get picked up for a fourth season, Andre might have a lot of time to hang out here. :)

Now I've got to explore the forum topics a bit and see what's going on.

Rick

What? Enterprise might not have a fourth season? What am I to do? It's my favourite show. Ask anyone here. I seriously love it. Why would anyone want to cancel it?

I've been watching the Cosmos series lately and I noticed that Rick was also involved with that. What was it like to work with Carl Sagan?

Rick Sternbach
2004-Jun-25, 03:57 AM

Harald

Even though this is an older thread, there is news about more recent items in the terrain model area. Space Model Systems is now offering an 8"x8" terrain model of Olympus Mons, to go along with the models of Gusev crater and Kasei Valles. End of plug.

Rick

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Jun-25, 04:18 AM
Since this was bumped, I'll add that Enterprise was picked up for a fourth season, but at a reduced budget. Paramount wants to have it available for syndication, but evidently they don't want to give too much money to it. If anyone wants to talk about that, we can take it to BABBling or the Bad TV forum.

Rick Sternbach
2004-Jun-25, 07:58 PM
Since this was bumped, I'll add that Enterprise was picked up for a fourth season, but at a reduced budget. Paramount wants to have it available for syndication, but evidently they don't want to give too much money to it. If anyone wants to talk about that, we can take it to BABBling or the Bad TV forum.

I was at the studio for 15 years and I still don't understand all the financial weirdnesses that happen. I thought that Paramount was going to sell the 4th season episodes to UPN at a reduced rate of ~$850,000, regardless of what it actually costs to get the episodes in the can. Didn't TV Guide say something about the studio making up the deficit through merchandise sales? It all seems like "funny money" to me, since it's done within Viacom.

Ready to move with the topic to another section, sure. :)

Rick

Spacewriter
2004-Jun-25, 09:26 PM
Rick,

I just now got back to this thread -- been swamped offline with production on a new show and getting ready for a business trip, but dang! Gotta say it after looking at your pages: nice work!!!

Carolyn

Rick Sternbach
2004-Jun-25, 11:41 PM
Rick,

I just now got back to this thread -- been swamped offline with production on a new show and getting ready for a business trip, but dang! Gotta say it after looking at your pages: nice work!!!

Carolyn

Thanks. That's just the SMS line; my normal illustration work is at

www.ricksternbach.com

Got art? :)

Rick

Spacewriter
2004-Jun-26, 01:22 AM
Rick,

Carolyn

Thanks. That's just the SMS line; my normal illustration work is at

www.ricksternbach.com

Got art? :)

Rick

Yes, visited there too and that's what I was referring to, too....

I was interested to see that you've done some work with Terragen. I downloaded it a while back and have been playing with it.

;)

c

Rick Sternbach
2004-Jun-26, 04:15 AM
I was interested to see that you've done some work with Terragen. I downloaded it a while back and have been playing with it.

;)

c

I'm a beta tester for TG Mac, and after a little frustration over the UI and lack of instructions (did manage to finally digest a lot of tutorials), I got the hang of it and have been producing planetscapes and my own grayscale heightfield maps in Photoshop. TG is a very cool app. You can see a lot of TG work of mine and others at

http://www.digitalspaceart.com/marsvisions

I've got a mix of TG and Lightwave material in there.

Rick

Bounced Check
2004-Jun-26, 04:54 AM
Wow. Rick Sternbach.

The source of a major amount of headache in my life.

Do you have ANY idea how long it takes to model the 1701-D deck by deck based on the blueprints? ;) And that's in Rhino! I only use Lightwave when I want to do good renders or animations (cause I'm lazy and too cheap to buy a better machine, that's why)

You are responsable for me having to buy two spindels of blank CD's just to store the (insert explative of choice here) thing!

Any chance of you buying me a case of asprin? I mean I did buy every book you've had anything to do with. Fair's fair. :P :lol:

Spacewriter
2004-Jun-26, 03:39 PM
c

I'm a beta tester for TG Mac, and after a little frustration over the UI and lack of instructions (did manage to finally digest a lot of tutorials), I got the hang of it and have been producing planetscapes and my own grayscale heightfield maps in Photoshop. TG is a very cool app. You can see a lot of TG work of mine and others at

http://www.digitalspaceart.com/marsvisions

I've got a mix of TG and Lightwave material in there.

I hear ya on the UI. I've got the PC version, and probably will upgrade. Lightwave is on order for later in the summer, when I have time to deal with it. Right now I'm flat out getting ready for a meeting next week.

I'll go check out your links again... always looking for the works of the masters. ;)

cheers,

c

Rick Sternbach
2004-Jun-26, 04:22 PM
Wow. Rick Sternbach.

Do you have ANY idea how long it takes to model the 1701-D deck by deck based on the blueprints? ;) And that's in Rhino! I only use Lightwave when I want to do good renders or animations (cause I'm lazy and too cheap to buy a better machine, that's why)

You are responsable for me having to buy two spindels of blank CD's just to store the (insert explative of choice here) thing!

Any chance of you buying me a case of asprin? I mean I did buy every book you've had anything to do with. Fair's fair. :P :lol:

Oh, I'm so terribly sorry about your predicament. Did someone actually force you to perform all of those purchasing and CG activities? If so, I'll send you a grocery store coupon for $0.25 off your next purchase of 500mg Tylenol Extra Strength Caplets with the new Cool Blast Sensation coating. That should last you long enough to get you through a few thousand rendered frames. :lol:

Rick

Spacewriter
2004-Jun-26, 05:57 PM
Wow. Rick Sternbach.

Oh, I'm so terribly sorry about your predicament. Did someone actually force you to perform all of those purchasing and CG activities? If so, I'll send you a grocery store coupon for $0.25 off your next purchase of 500mg Tylenol Extra Strength Caplets with the new Cool Blast Sensation coating. That should last you long enough to get you through a few thousand rendered frames. :lol:

Rick

ARggh!!!! He said the "R" word!

;)

](*,)

Rick Sternbach
2004-Jun-26, 10:20 PM
Wow. Rick Sternbach.

Rick

ARggh!!!! He said the "R" word!

;)

](*,)

Who, me or Bounced Check? And was ir Rhino or render?

Rick

Spacewriter
2004-Jun-26, 10:35 PM
:)

It was Sternbach, saying "render" in the parlor.

Don't mind me. I've just been editing the same video sequence for the past several hours, tweaking it just right...

Off to dinner now...

Bounced Check
2004-Jun-28, 12:58 AM
Actually yes, I was forced to do it. Voice number 3 wouldn't stop doing his rendition of Shatner doing "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" untill I started and once I did... Well, you know how it gets when there are SO many voices in just one head. #-o :wink:

By the way, does anyone have any good shots of a runabout? I have a great idea for a fan pic and need to do a fairly good poly-count one for close up shots.

(BTW - I'll stop now cause I know this thread has gone FAR astray.)