PDA

View Full Version : Brain Sex Test

publius
2010-Aug-21, 09:09 PM
I just stumbled across this, a brain sex test:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sex/index_cookie.shtml

This is supposed to determine how masuline or feminine your brain is.

I ended up with 50 on the male side, not very impressive. I only got 15 on the angled line correct, and I believe that is due to fact that it's getting time for ol' Richard to break down and admit he needs glasses. I only guessed my way through my last driver's eye test and that was 4 years ago and things have gone downhill.

I utterly botched "spot the difference". Empathy was 6 out of 20 and "systemizing" was 20 out of 20. But I got 9 out of 10 on the "eyes emotion" test, which surprised me and contradicts the previous empathy score. Ring to index finger came out feminine, but that's probably another glitch, as years ago I broke my left ring finger near the end, and like a fool didn't bother to get it set until days later and it developed a little crook in the end which shortened it.

I preferred feminine faces.

3D shape rotation was 12 out of 12. Again, I should have done better on the angles and I'm blaming my eyes there.

So I should've been more manly, save for doing so well on the eye emotion thing. I'll have to remember to supress that ability. :lol:

-Richard

publius
2010-Aug-21, 09:43 PM
Investigating my way high feminine ring to index ratios, I see what's afoot. Yes, my left ring finger has the crook, but that wasn't the main effect. Placing my hands flat, it's obvious the ring fingers on both hands are longer than the index fingers. The trouble is, on the back side, the crease on the ring fingers is way high compared to where the finger ends from the front side. That is, looking from the side, my hands have a strong backslope from palm to to topside where the fingers attach.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-21, 10:16 PM
Eyes

This task tested your ability to judge people's emotions.

Your score: 7 out of 10
Average score for men: 6.6 out of 10
Average score for women: 6.6 out of 10
I find it hilarious that in the actual test, men and women have exactly the same average on this test:D

And was shocked at my result.

Fingers

We asked you to measure your ring and index fingers. Your ratios came to:

Right Hand: 0.97
Left Hand: 0.97

Average ratio for men: 0.982
Average ratio for women: 0.991

And that the difference for this one is quite a lot less than the difference otherwise claimed.

3D shapes

This task tested your ability to mentally rotate 3D shapes.

Your score: 12 out of 12
Average score for men: 8.2 out of 12
Average score for women: 7.1 out of 12

What does your result suggest?
If you scored 10 - 12: Are you an engineer or do you have a science background? People with these skills tend to score in this range. Past studies have concluded that people in this range have a more male brain.
Nearly a third of men who took this test got full marks, whereas less than 10 per cent of women managed the same.
No DUH. On average women will score lower in skills relevant for jobs that few women have, because fewer of them have trained that skill.
What's the score for female engineers? That's the interesting one to compare.

megrfl
2010-Aug-21, 10:27 PM
My personal brain score is 0, how is that possible? Does that mean I'm an androgynous idiot? :(

chrissy
2010-Aug-21, 11:02 PM
I scored 50 on the female side.

I did an epic fail on the first test and ended up with a ba score of: 9 this was because I didn't read the instructions first.
Spot the difference I scored 57% : You may have a balanced female-male brain.
The right half of my brain is more dominant.
My empathy score was: 11 out of 20.
My systemising score is: 16 out of 20 which suggested Systemisers prefer to investigate how systems work. A system can be a road map, flat pack furniture, or a mathematical equation – anything that follows a set of rules. A score of 15 and above suggests you're good at analysing or building systems. Men in general are better at systemising.
Eyes
My score: 8 out of 10 If you scored 7 - 10: Your result suggests you are a good empathiser, sensitive to other people's emotions. Women generally fall into this category.
My finger ratio was low:
Right Hand: 0.94
Left Hand: 0.94

Average ratio for men: 0.982
Average ratio for women: 0.991
Faces:
Your choices suggest you prefer more masculine faces.

Highly masculinised male faces possess more extreme testosterone markers such as a long, broad and lower jaw, as well as more pronounced brow ridges and cheekbones.
Glad to know this.
This task tested your ability to mentally rotate 3D shapes.

Your score: 10 out of 12
Average score for men: 8.2 out of 12
Average score for women: 7.1 out of 12

The last two just proved I was female.

Tinaa
2010-Aug-22, 01:41 AM
Hmm. I scored a 25 on the male brain.
13 out of 20 on the angles.
Only 29% on spot the difference.
Left thumb on top - a right brain dominant person, you may excel in visual, spatial and intuitive processes.
Your empathy score is: 3 out of 20. Average male scored 7.9 out of twenty. I'm low for either.
Systemising score is: 13 out of 20.
Eyes: 4 out of 10. Not very good.
Right Hand: 1.07
Left Hand: 1.08 Must have measured wrong.
I prefer masculine faces.
3D shapes: 9 out of 12.
Verbal fluency: scored low even for an man. Blame it on the wine. I went totally blank.
I don't think I learned anything from this test except that drinking wine before the test is probably not advisable.

danscope
2010-Aug-22, 03:35 AM
About 45 on the male side. Interesting test.

cjl
2010-Aug-22, 04:34 AM
I scored 50 on the male side, but I have to say I was amused by some of the "analysis" that it had after the test. I especially liked this:

Eyes

Your score: 6 out of 10

What does your result suggest?

If you scored 0 - 3: Do you think you're good at judging how another person is feeling? Your score suggests this doesn't come to you quite so naturally.

If you scored 4 - 6: Your result suggests you have a balanced female-male brain and find it neither easy nor difficult to judge people's emotions.

If you scored 7 - 10: Your result suggests you are a good empathiser, sensitive to other people's emotions. Women generally fall into this category.

They split the scores up and say whether you have a "male" or "female" brain based on your score, even though in their own statistics, men and women score identically. That wasn't the only one where the analysis disagreed with their own statistics either. Overall, I can't say I trust the results all that much.

Jeff Root
2010-Aug-22, 06:07 AM
It told me my "brain score" was zero. Precisely in the center of the scale.
How likely is that? Megrfl reported the same result. I don't at all mind
being in the center, but I'd be more inclined to think the algorithm worked
as intended if the result were just a bit to one one side or the other.

My impression is that the person who made that thing has testosterone
on the brain. As far as I can tell, testosterone is just a messenger. It
doesn't actually do anything-- It just tells various parts of the body to
do whatever it is they do when they receive the message that they
should do it.

Angles
Your score: 17 out of 20

Spot the difference
Your score: 50%
Interestingly, I got only seven correct but zero wrong.

Hands
You said your left thumb was on top when you clasped your hands together.

Empathising
Your empathy score is: 9 out of 20
I wanted to fudge my answers to sound more empathetic, but I kept as
honest as I could with such subjective choices.

Systemising
Your systemising score is: 11 out of 20
ditto.

Eyes
I'm on dialup and often see large pictures gradually display from
top to bottom. The expression can change completely when the
lower half of the face comes into view.

Fingers
Right Hand: 1.02
Left Hand: 0.98
I measured correctly but must have input the numbers into the
wrong fields for my right hand.

Faces
Your choices suggest you prefer more masculine faces.
There were 21 pairs, but how many *different* pairs were there?
The differences were so slight that in only two cases did I choose
any but the the very slightest of preferences. Although the
differences were slight, it quickly became obvious what they
were getting at, and I tended to just answer consistently for the
larger of the two faces (which had parts expanded to make it
look more masculine and-- perhaps unintentionally-- older)
rather than judge them individually.

3D shapes
Your score: 7 out of 12
I'm just slow. It timed out.

Words
Your score: you associated 3 word(s) with grey and you
named 8 word(s) that mean happy.
Clearly, grey is not my color.
That was Meg with the periwinkle, wasn't it?

Ultimatum
If you had to split 50 with someone, you said you would demand 25
This made no sense to me. Still doesn't. It needed a better story.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

AndreasJ
2010-Aug-22, 06:51 AM
50 on the male side.

I do think the "words" part was a bit "unfair" in that it compared me to native speakers.

megrfl
2010-Aug-22, 02:24 PM
It told me my "brain score" was zero. Precisely in the center of the scale.
How likely is that? Megrfl reported the same result. I don't at all mind
being in the center, but I'd be more inclined to think the algorithm worked
as intended if the result were just a bit to one one side or the other.

The first step of the test to determine your "SEX ID", in my opinion is "Enter your first name only", I entered Mayor, neither a female name nor a male name.

Angles
my score 16 of 20

Spot the difference
I only got 4 correct, none wrong.

Hands
Me - left brain dominant

Empathising
Mine 17 of 20

Systemising
Can not remember.

Eyes
Me - 5 out of 10
If I'm honest, I was clueless on the eyes.

Fingers
Right Hand: 0.97
Left Hand: 1.0

Faces
I prefer strong masculine faces.

3D shapes
Me - 7 of 12 too.

Words
Me - grey; 5 words, happy; 6 words.

Ultimatum
Me - split the pot.

bunker9603
2010-Aug-22, 02:36 PM
My personal brain score is 0, how is that possible? Does that mean I'm an androgynous idiot? :(

I also scored a zero, maybe we are just well balanced. :)

Jeff Root
2010-Aug-22, 10:39 PM
The first step of the test to determine your "SEX ID", in my opinion
is "Enter your first name only", I entered Mayor, neither a female
name nor a male name.
"Sex ID" refers to the entire test. The "name" input before starting
would have no influence on the results.

Clearly, the final score is rounded to the nearest 25, so that the
only possible scores are 100, 75, 50, 25, 0 -25, -50, -75, and -100.

For some tests, such as finger length, it doesn't seem to make
any sense for them to contribute to the final score. I wonder if
they do or not.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

kleindoofy
2010-Aug-23, 12:47 AM
I dispute the notion of feminine vs. masculine face types presented in the test.

Assuming that feminine type faces are round and soft while masculine type faces are long and sharp is an unfounded popular bias; terribly unscientific.

Jens
2010-Aug-23, 02:23 AM
I dispute the notion of feminine vs. masculine face types presented in the test.

Assuming that feminine type faces are round and soft while masculine type faces are long and sharp is an unfounded popular bias; terribly unscientific.

I don't know, there has to be something to it. I (and almost everybody, I think) can look at two skinheads (just the face) and tell which one is male and which is female. With babies it's often difficult, but with adults it's not usually difficult to tell a male face from a female one. I don't know precisely why it is, but I know it works.

George
2010-Aug-23, 04:41 AM
I'm not convinced they know what they're talking about. They say I'm 1/2 woman, which I guess makes some genetic sense, but I don't agree with the way they suggest it.

Look at the eyes test:

What good is this test? Both have the same average.

The image memory test:
Your score: 86%
Average score for men: 39%
Average score for women: 46%

The scores for men may be low if they are willing to guess wrong, which is a big deduct. Higher scores may not work here.

My fingers ratio was 1.05, which means I can pull a gun trigger faster than others -> I'm not a girly boy, right? :)

Jens
2010-Aug-23, 07:29 AM
My fingers ratio was 1.05, which means I can pull a gun trigger faster than others -> I'm not a girly boy, right? :)

Are you sure you input the values correctly? The index finger isn't supposed to be longer than the ring finger for either men or women. Maybe it demonstrates you are a reptilian overlord. :) Except then it would be the ripping finger and the poking finger.

NickW
2010-Aug-23, 08:50 AM
I scored a zero. I guess I am a girly man :)

grant hutchison
2010-Aug-23, 10:42 AM
I ended up with 50 on the male side, not very impressive.Depends what you want from life. Extreme male scores probably require a very low score on empathy as well as a poor performance at spot the difference. Likewise an extreme female score probably requires very poor performance in orientation tasks.

Grant Hutchison

AndreasJ
2010-Aug-23, 10:52 AM
Depends what you want from life. Extreme male scores probably require a very low score on empathy as well as a poor performance at spot the difference.
I scored very low on empathy and still only got 50 on the male side.

grant hutchison
2010-Aug-23, 11:18 AM
I scored very low on empathy and still only got 50 on the male side.I'd guess you need extreme values in everything (in the appropriate direction) in order to get an extreme score overall. So you'd need to max out on orientation tests and male finger ratio, and score zero on empathy and "spot the difference" if you wanted to get a high male score.

Grant Hutchison

Jeff Root
2010-Aug-23, 11:20 AM
Feminine guys may like masculine girls, but do masculine girls
like feminine guys? Or do they like masculine girls, too?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

AndreasJ
2010-Aug-23, 11:55 AM
I'd guess you need extreme values in everything (in the appropriate direction) in order to get an extreme score overall. So you'd need to max out on orientation tests and male finger ratio, and score zero on empathy and "spot the difference" if you wanted to get a high male score.
I didn't particularly want to get any particular result - quite apart from whether extreme masculinity is a good thing or not, I'm dubious of the accuracy of the test - but IIRC the only parts I didn't score stereotypically masculine on were the digital ratio and the ultimatum, so getting an exteme score appears to be difficult, so to speak.

megrfl
2010-Aug-23, 12:58 PM
I scored a zero. I guess I am a girly man :)

I think bunker9603 said it best, "Maybe we are just well balanced."

Cougar
2010-Aug-23, 01:33 PM
I scored 20/20 on the angles but overanalyzed the rotate-3d-shapes and only got 6/12. Does that mean I have a schizophrenic male brain?

Got 50% on 'spot the difference',

was right between men and women on empathy,

.98 finger ratio,

I picked the feminine-looking faces, although a couple of those I would rather not have picked at all. :sick:

What in the heck does the word "grey" bring to mind?? I'm thinking 'goose', 'dull'... I ended up with a measly 4 words there and 6 for "happy." Lousy verbal score! (Hey, measly's a good word, isn't it?)

And how could anyone justify splitting the pot unevenly, to their advantage? "I'll take 60%, and you take 40%, OK?" Yeah, right.

Overall, I scored 25% to the side of a male cat.

George
2010-Aug-23, 01:55 PM
Are you sure you input the values correctly? The index finger isn't supposed to be longer than the ring finger for either men or women. Maybe it demonstrates you are a reptilian overlord. :) Except then it would be the ripping finger and the poking finger.Reptilian! Be glad I'm feeling effeminate at the moment, at least till I can correct the results.

Besides, it's only my right hand that has the slightly longer index finger. Maybe that's why I don't wear pink.

Wait a minute.....

I have retaken the test and now I'm in the 50% male category. So, after coffee in the mornings - I'm a guy; but late at night and after a glass of wine, I become more touchy-feely and am rated 50% femalian. Ok, I'm pleased with this.

Paracelsus
2010-Aug-23, 02:03 PM
Took the test and scored right at the 50th-percentile--for men. Did well in both spatial tests (17/20 on angles; 9/12 on 3D (would've done better if wasn't rushing to get done)). Lousy on word test. Did well on facial expression test, though (8/10).

Whatever.

George
2010-Aug-23, 02:04 PM
I scored 20/20 on the angles but overanalyzed the rotate-3d-shapes and only got 6/12. Does that mean I have a schizophrenic male brain? I got about 7 last night, but got 11 this morning after coffee. What are you drinking? ;)

I picked the feminine-looking faces, although a couple of those I would rather not have picked at all. :sick: I'm sure they are nice girls. :)

What in the heck does the word "grey" bring to mind?? I'm thinking 'goose', 'dull'... I ended up with a measly 4 words there and 6 for "happy." Lousy verbal score! (Hey, measly's a good word, isn't it?) I am more familiar with gray objects. Grey Goose perhaps?

And how could anyone justify splitting the pot unevenly, to their advantage? "I'll take 60%, and you take 40%, OK?" Yeah, right. Agreed and their results make little sense to me. Fair is fair and if they don't understand that then the heck with them. I suppose, however, tonight I'll offer 'em flowers in reconciliation. :wall:

Overall, I scored 25% to the side of a male cat. Try it again tonight and see what kind a cat you are.

Grey
2010-Aug-23, 03:48 PM
Your score: you associated 3 word(s) with grey and you
named 8 word(s) that mean happy.
Clearly, grey is not my color.That's okay. You're not really my type, either. :)

Grey
2010-Aug-23, 03:52 PM
What in the heck does the word "grey" bring to mind??At least they spelled it right.

Gillianren
2010-Aug-23, 05:01 PM
Heh. The first thing I listed as brought to mind for "Grey" is my best friend, whose last name it is. I could have done them "Lady Jane," too, though I did use "gardens."

Okay, I'm not seeing where on there it gives you a number score overall if it isn't at fifty or zero exactly, but by squinting at it, it looks like I'm about 25% female. I scored very low on angles, though that's in part because it took me a few to notice they were repeating them, which probably says as much about the fact that it's morning as anything else. "Spot the difference," well, I've been playing "hidden object" games a lot lately, and I know I don't do well on that part of them. Shockingly, it suggests (based on right thumb on top) that I might just be more verbal. In empathy, systemising, and eyes, I scored well above average for either male or female. My finger ratio is .98; it was also, for me, the longest part of the test, because I had to go looking for my measuring tape. For faces . . . I wish they'd had a "neither" button, surely, and sometimes, it was "just barely." But I do, apparently, prefer masculine faces. I'm sure Graham will be pleased.

Ten out of twelve for 3D shapes, which presents the amusing contradiction that it both thinks I'm probably more verbal and have a great deal of empathy, but I'm also probably an engineer. (Not that you engineers don't have empathy, but you know what I mean.) I only got nine words on each, but again, tired. I split the money 50/50, because it only seemed fair.

And it won't let me e-mail the results to me or my best friend, so they will be lost to the ether.

Paracelsus
2010-Aug-23, 05:40 PM
Gray: skies, clouds, smoke, my coat that needs dry-cleaning, the hair I have to cover up, beans after they've been cooked too long, my cat in undergraduate school, fireplace ashes, the tile in my kitchen, any day I have to go to the office, my officemate's teeth; water that contains poopie and other foul substances; a stormy sea, a Weimeraner, a horse

Gillianren
2010-Aug-23, 06:55 PM
I have to say, for "happy," I was overthinking. "Well, but is that really the same as 'happy'?"

George
2010-Aug-23, 07:24 PM
I wonder if those that conduct the OP's test take into consideration the brain dichotomies found here (http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/11019305/763903421/name/Brains_ENGLISCH.wmv). :)

Fazor
2010-Aug-23, 07:48 PM
Heh, my results were nearly identical to what Publius described in the OP. The only differences were that my finger-ratio test was male (of course, unlike the OP, I've not broken either of those fingers), and while my empathy was about 4 of 20, my systemizing was only 16 of 20.

It was funny to score so low on the empathy thing, then score a 7-of-10 on the eye thing, which led to a result that said, "You think with the male part of your brain and aren't very empathetic." Followed by, "You have a good ability to empathize with people." I'll chalk the eye thing up to the body-language / facial expression recognition training I went through both in the academy and during my college career (come to think of it, both my college careers, as animator and law enforcement. Heh, there was some common ground. Go figure.)

I was glad to get the 12 of 12 on the 3d rotation test ("Of course!" I thought, "I'm trained as a 3D Modeler/Animator!" . . . then I read about 1/3 males get that one perfect anyway. Well, I'm still special. My mommy says so!)

publius
2010-Aug-23, 07:54 PM
Actually, there was more to this finger thing. I've either got strange hands, or the measurement method is flawed. My ring fingers on both hands are obviously longer than the index fingers. I can lay them flat either side up and that is obvious. However, on the back side, the lower crease on the ring finger is very high on each hand. Thus the measurement from that crease to the tip is going to be short compared to the index fingers.

What I don't know, and would have to compare a lot of hands, is how likely this "high crease" condition is.

-Richard

Fazor
2010-Aug-23, 08:18 PM
Actually, there was more to this finger thing . . .
-Richard

Yeah, I saw that in the second post, but it was quicker to just say "no broken fingers" :)

I thought there was an interesting difference between what the test said the results meant, and what the statistics showed. I don't know if it was a matter of how I was interpreting the information, (ie "male brain"/"female brain" verses "male person" "female person"), or if it's the typical skewed results you can get from any online poll (pranksters, people retaking the test to get a more desired results, etc). Oh, I should admit that I haven't read hardly any of the other posts in the thread yet, so I don't know what's been discussed. I'm just squeezing in posts in the short downtime between things at work. :-P

AndreasJ
2010-Aug-23, 09:38 PM
What I don't know, and would have to compare a lot of hands, is how likely this "high crease" condition is.

FWIW, I've got it too. Measured from the middle of the metacarpophalangeal joint to the tip of the finger, my digit ratio is about 0.9, measured as test said one should measure it, it's about 1.0.

However, if the WP article on digit ratio may be believed, the crease-based definition is the one usually used for this purpose, so whether it's a sensible definition of "finger length" may be besides the point. It's certainly easier to measure than the joint-based one, even if it's less intuitive.

George
2010-Aug-23, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I saw that in the second post, but it was quicker to just say "no broken fingers" :) Oooh, you may have solved my overly endowed ring finger anomaly. I did have multiple fractures of my hand long ago when two heavily laden football helmets collided literally head-on, unfortunately for me, temporarily cushioned by my inadequate hand. :)

grant hutchison
2010-Aug-23, 09:54 PM
Actually, there was more to this finger thing. I've either got strange hands, or the measurement method is flawed. My ring fingers on both hands are obviously longer than the index fingers. I can lay them flat either side up and that is obvious. However, on the back side, the lower crease on the ring finger is very high on each hand.The back side? You're supposed to measure on the palmar side. You'll probably find that the lowest crease is not evident if you straighten your fingers hard. Flex a little at the knuckle, and a crease will appear that runs right along the top edge of your palm. That's the one you measure from.

Grant Hutchison

geonuc
2010-Aug-23, 10:01 PM
The first thing I listed as brought to mind for "Grey" is ...

Wizard. As in Gandalf.

I was almost totally stumped with 'happy'.

publius
2010-Aug-23, 10:21 PM
The back side? You're supposed to measure on the palmar side. You'll probably find that the lowest crease is not evident if you straighten your fingers hard. Flex a little at the knuckle, and a crease will appear that runs right along the top edge of your palm. That's the one you measure from.

Grant Hutchison

Bad choice of words. By "back side" I meant the palm side. That crease is there and it is very high on both my ring fingers.

grant hutchison
2010-Aug-24, 12:12 AM
Bad choice of words. By "back side" I meant the palm side. That crease is there and it is very high on both my ring fingers.I'm having trouble imagining how your finger bends at that joint without generating a crease in the flexure.

Grant Hutchison

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-24, 12:28 AM
I'm having trouble imagining how your finger bends at that joint without generating a crease in the flexure.

Grant Hutchison
Looking at my own fingers, I'd say the crease is almost precisely at the middle of my proximal phalanxes and not at the metacarpophalangeal joints.

grant hutchison
2010-Aug-24, 12:38 AM
Looking at my own fingers, I'd say the crease is almost precisely at the middle of my proximal phalanxes and not at the metacarpophalangeal joints.That's certainly where it's supposed to be: the finger webs link (roughly) the junction of the lower and middle third of the proximal phalanges, not the knuckles. (The prominent knuckles are actually the ends of the metacarpals, and the phalanges sit on top of them when the fingers are extended.) When you bend the ring-finger metacarpophalangeal joint, it bunches up the palm between the finger webs, generating a flexure across the base of the finger, linking the webs. I don't know why publius doesn't have a crease at that point.

Grant Hutchison

publius
2010-Aug-24, 12:59 AM
There is a crease in that expected general location. It's just the distance from the crease to the tip of the ring finger is the same as the distance on the index finger (~72mm). However, the ring finger is longer. With my hands palm down, the tip of the index finger comes below the cuticle on the middle finger, while the ring fingernail is above the cuticle.

The middle finger crease is pretty high itself. When I bend either one of them down, there is sharp bend at the crease, but a little roll of skin sort of humps behind it. I think the webbing on the two middle ones may just come up higher than normal.

grant hutchison
2010-Aug-24, 01:15 AM
There is a crease in that expected general location. It's just the distance from the crease to the tip of the ring finger is the same as the distance on the index finger (~72mm). However, the ring finger is longer. With my hands palm down, the tip of the index finger comes below the cuticle on the middle finger, while the ring fingernail is above the cuticle.But the termination of the fingers isn't used for digit ratio calculations. You can measure the total finger length on X-ray (base of proximal phalanx to tip of distal phalanx), or you can measure the skin-crease to tip length by external examination. The ratios derived from these two measures have been shown to have very good agreement, so researchers tend to use the simple skin-crease measurement.
But the termination point of the fingers is influenced both by the lengths of the metacarpals and by the posture of the fingers, so it isn't used.

Grant Hutchison

kleindoofy
2010-Aug-24, 01:33 AM
Please make the acquaintance of Gudea, Ensi of Lagash at around 2100 B.C. (Ur III period)

picture --> http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/71/Gudea_of_Lagash_Girsu.jpg

Here's a detail of his folded hands:

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1572/gudeahands01.jpg

Have fun trying to duplicate that. Of course it's idealized, but it's interesting none the less.

I wonder what his finger ratio was. ;)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-24, 02:04 AM
Have fun trying to duplicate that. Of course it's idealized, but it's interesting none the less.
I had.

Here's my best result:
I had trouble getting my right hand turned the right way while keeping all the phalangeal joints on the left hand straight, especially the left index finger kept bending.

AndreasJ
2010-Aug-24, 06:17 AM
But the termination point of the fingers is influenced both by the lengths of the metacarpals and by the posture of the fingers, so it isn't used.
The annoying part is that one has apparently been a victim of poor science reporting again. When I've previously been told that "men have longer ring fingers", I've looked at my hands, noted the ring fingers reach longer, and concluded I've got the typical male pattern, which, it now appears, is just plain wrong. I expect many, likely most, laymen have interpreted it as I did (including at least two biologists of my acquaintance).

grant hutchison
2010-Aug-24, 10:30 AM
The annoying part is that one has apparently been a victim of poor science reporting again. When I've previously been told that "men have longer ring fingers", I've looked at my hands, noted the ring fingers reach longer, and concluded I've got the typical male pattern, which, it now appears, is just plain wrong. I expect many, likely most, laymen have interpreted it as I did (including at least two biologists of my acquaintance).Here's an X-ray (http://schools.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/images/xrays/xray_hand.jpg) of someone with the opposite problem. The total length of the ring finger is clearly greater than that of the index finger. But judged solely by the position of termination relative to the index finger, the ring finger seems to be about the same length or perhaps a little shorter than the index, depending on how this individual closes his fingers. The two fingers "finish" at roughly the same point, but one of them starts lower in the hand because of the different metacarpal lengths.

Grant Hutchison

Cougar
2010-Aug-24, 02:13 PM
...their results make little sense to me. Fair is fair and if they don't understand that then the heck with them. I suppose, however, tonight I'll offer 'em flowers in reconciliation. :wall:

You've taken well to your newly discovered proclivity. ;)

George
2010-Aug-24, 04:09 PM
You've taken well to your newly discovered proclivity. ;) You may be better off making such claims at night. :evil: ;)

blueshift
2010-Aug-25, 02:08 AM
Add me to the zero pile.

closetgeek
2010-Aug-25, 03:00 AM
My brain score looks around 25, I guess I fail at being a female.

Angles - 10/20
Spot the difference - 14% (head injury/short term memory issues)
Hands - my right thumb is on top
empathising - 15/20
Systemising - 8/20
Eyes - 9/10...booyah!
Fingers - Right hand 1.03 left hand 1.01 but I had to use an on screen ruler so it's off.
Apparently I like girlie men.
3D shapes I got a 7/12 which surprised even me
Words - 6 for grey and 9 for happy however I didn't read directions and did association with both words.
The ultimatum - I went with 25 and found it odd that demanding half was not common. I guess I didn't get it.

Fun test though, thanks :)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-25, 06:40 AM
3D shapes I got a 7/12 which surprised even me
This test may have been flawed in what it tested, compared to its claim; I didn't notice any cases where the wrong figures where simply mirror images of the correct choices, they were always a completely different figure; and the rotation was around a vertical axis, not free in space.

closetgeek
2010-Aug-25, 12:57 PM
This test may have been flawed in what it tested, compared to its claim; I didn't notice any cases where the wrong figures where simply mirror images of the correct choices, they were always a completely different figure; and the rotation was around a vertical axis, not free in space.

Oh, I get it; CG does okay on a part of the test so the test must be flawed. ;)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-25, 04:59 PM
I'm complaining because it didn't test me at all, 12/12 with more than half the time left over in all 12 cases.
And because it could be solved without doing any mental rotations at all, simply by counting the cubes connected to the end that was bent out of flat.
Which I consider a flaw as it claims to be at test of the capability to rotate shapes mentally.

closetgeek
2010-Aug-25, 09:12 PM
I'm complaining because it didn't test me at all, 12/12 with more than half the time left over in all 12 cases.
And because it could be solved without doing any mental rotations at all, simply by counting the cubes connected to the end that was bent out of flat.
Which I consider a flaw as it claims to be at test of the capability to rotate shapes mentally.

Towards the end, I caught on to that. I think that's why I got any at all. Maybe figuring that out was part of the test, I don't know.

Jens
2010-Aug-26, 02:04 AM

Well I got a 12/12 too, and maybe for the same reason. I also sometimes counted the blocks, and ended up doing it with lots of time left over. In many of the cases I saw that 2 and 3 were correct, and didn't even go on to look at 4. But other people didn't. So maybe it's a test of the ability to come to the realization that it's a dumb test. :)

cjl
2010-Aug-26, 02:59 AM
I agree - that one could have been a lot harder. I got 12/12 in about 60% of the allotted time.

closetgeek
2010-Aug-26, 10:06 AM
...gradually feeling worse about myself... :)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-26, 11:58 AM
...gradually feeling worse about myself... :)
Don't, you also figured out that the test had an easier method of solving than the one they claimed to test.

SeanF
2010-Aug-27, 03:22 PM
I can't get it to give me a score. After I type in my words for "happy," I just get a blank window. If I click on the "close" button, I go back to the main window, but it shows "Part 6" as uncompleted. I've tried it four times now (using the same words each time so as not to be "cheating" with extra time or anything), and it's done the same thing every time.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-27, 04:30 PM
Did you separate the words with commas?

SeanF
2010-Aug-27, 04:56 PM
Did you separate the words with commas?
Yes, I, Did. :)

It accepted my entries for "grey" just fine and took me to "happy," but my answers for "happy" take me nowhere.

Jeff Root
2010-Aug-27, 05:35 PM
Did you clear your cookies after each attempt? I don't know
whether it checks to see if you have already taken the test,
but if it is sufficiently mischievous, it might not check until
the test is completed. The word "cookie" is right in the link
in the OP!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Jeff Root
2010-Aug-27, 07:11 PM
I went through the test again. Earlier I said that some of the
tests didn't make sense to include in the final score. I now see
that it explicitly says which tests are included:

The scale below is an indication of where you fall in the
male-female brain continuum. The results are based on
the angles, spot the difference, 3D shapes and words tasks.
Only 4 of the tests, and noteably, not the "eye" test, where
the average scores of males and females were said to be
identical.

I see now that I did NOT input my finger measurements
incorrectly the first time around. It is just that my right
index finger is slightly longer than my right ring finger,
the reverse of usual. The difference isn't big enough to
notice without measuring. A silly millimetre longer.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Argos
2010-Aug-27, 07:23 PM
Im relieved to know that Im definitely a man [and happy to be an outstanding 3d rotator and eye reader].