PDA

View Full Version : Good Astronomy in Beer Commercial?

Extravoice
2010-Aug-27, 02:42 PM
Last night, I was half watching TV during a commercial break and may have actually spotted good astronomy in a beer commercial.

The commercial started with a bunch of young, attractive people (it was a beer commercial after all) having a party on the beach of a tropical island. The sun set over the horizon and the people packed-up their belongings.

They were then shown walking through the jungle to another beach (implicitly on the opposite side of the island) where the full moon was rising over the horizon. The party continued under moonlight.

Lord Jubjub
2010-Aug-27, 11:08 PM
That would depend on the latitude of the beach but it sounds about right for the tropics.

novaderrik
2010-Aug-28, 01:44 AM
what brand was the beer? would make it easy to find the commercial online.

novaderrik
2010-Aug-29, 05:52 AM
saw the commercial earlier tonight- it was for Corona.
that moon sure came up fast...

Extravoice
2010-Aug-29, 03:14 PM
Thanks. I didn't catch the beer's brand, and I haven't seen it since the first time when I was only partially paying attention.

ETA: Here it is (I think it has been edited, though):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcHC2eL35fs

Doodler
2010-Aug-29, 04:47 PM
Depends on the time of month, too...at least half the month, the moon's up during daylight hours.

Ara Pacis
2010-Aug-29, 07:24 PM
Depends on the time of month, too...at least half the month, the moon's up during daylight hours.

Not when the moon is full. That's only for a day or so.

the moon came up fast because it took them some time to walk to the other side of the island.

At least it's better than another Corona ad where a quarter moon near the horizon settles into a bottle like a wedge of lime. That visual would only be accurate of the island were near the poles, otherwise the quarter moon would look like a bowl or a cap near the horizon.