PDA

View Full Version : How much money does this place make?

invisible
2010-Sep-09, 05:35 AM
Is this a multi-million dollar business or just a hobby? Its really hard to make a living out of the net and I was curious as to how people do it. Hope this isn't impolite. I'm sure lots of members must be curious. The Bad Astronomer Phil Plait, does he own part of the site or are Bad astronomy and Universe today separate entities in that regard?

astromark
2010-Sep-09, 06:58 AM
I like to answer questions... this looks like a question..

and as I have never been asked to pay for visiting this site, and I do not see any advertisements on this page...

I would say no money is made from this site... at all. We should and are thankful...they do it for free....

HenrikOlsen
2010-Sep-09, 04:02 PM
Is this a multi-million dollar business or just a hobby? Its really hard to make a living out of the net and I was curious as to how people do it. Hope this isn't impolite. I'm sure lots of members must be curious. The Bad Astronomer Phil Plait, does he own part of the site or are Bad astronomy and Universe today separate entities in that regard?
It is my understanding that Fraser handles the practical nuts and bolts of buying server space and bandwidth for the ad revenue (with Fraser being Canadian and Phil USian it's likely easier not to have both involved in that side of it) and that the ad revenues just about break even with expenses.

Jeff Root
2010-Sep-09, 04:44 PM
There have been no advertisements since the sudden switch to the
current version of vBulletin circa April, I think. Before that, the income
generated by those ads was not revealed by anyone who knew, though
I'm sufficiently innocent about such things to have no idea why not.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

NEOWatcher
2010-Sep-09, 05:10 PM
That's because the previous revenues were so huge, that it was able to set up an endowment fund to keep this board going forever.

Or not. :shifty:

nokton
2010-Sep-09, 06:08 PM
Good you are invisible, Phil Plait was, in my opinion, the father of this site. Phil Plait was interested in nothing less than exposing bad ideas and
bad concepts in astronomy. Phil Plait is an astronomer who seeks to find the difference between what is believed, and what is the truth.
The members on this site here of the same principal. Do not refer to god on this site, it is not accepted.
This site is not about 'making a living', it is about like minds having confluence with each other.
If you don't understand the above, suggest you evaluate your reason for being here,
suggest you try to respond to the posted questions on this site, and be part of a community you fail to understand.
Nokton.

astromark
2010-Sep-09, 08:05 PM
'The Universe Today' and, 'Bad Astronomy' ... were not so long ago two entirely different sites...

I applaud the motives of the forum born from that merger... and contribute because I agree with the intent.

As for this question... Some revenue is available if advertisement space is made available... As I do not see any such add's

make the assumption that this site does it for the passion of spreading the science... killing the myths... BRAVO ! :clap:

HenrikOlsen
2010-Sep-10, 01:14 AM
I suspect it's really because the forum upgrade was rushed because the previous version got hacked, and Fraser haven't gotten around to adding the ads back, but I don't have anything to base that on except a hunch.

ToSeek
2010-Sep-10, 02:33 AM
Fraser indicated to me at one point that the revenue and expenses from this site pretty much balance each other out.

pghnative
2010-Sep-10, 04:10 AM
Yeah, he said the same to me when I visited his luxury villa in Bali --- or maybe the chateau in the Alps --- or maybe I'm really mis-remembering, and it was the Tokyo penthouse. So easy to get all these trips mixed up.

</end blatant lie mode>

Spoons
2010-Sep-10, 05:32 AM
Fraser indicated to me at one point that the revenue and expenses from this site pretty much balance each other out.

ToSeek, have you emailed Fraser lately to point out the lack of ads? If he is not aware of it maybe it should be pointed out. Though I imagine he'd be fully aware when he does the books. Wouldn't want someone who's doing as much as he is for others to be stung financially due to lack of communication.

whimsyfree
2010-Sep-10, 09:09 AM
Does the advertising cover paid posters?

slang
2010-Sep-10, 09:12 AM
It certainly covers what I get paid.

Spoons
2010-Sep-10, 09:20 AM
Mine always goes missing in the post. Peculiar.

whimsyfree
2010-Sep-10, 10:42 AM
Maybe there isn't the money in astronomy but all the big gambling forums have paid posters. On those forums if you see someone with a 5 figure post count you know they're getting paid.

djellison
2010-Sep-10, 02:38 PM
'paid posters'. Who are you speaking of, exactly?

Strange
2010-Sep-10, 02:44 PM
Maybe we should start taxing the witches.

nokton
2010-Sep-10, 04:14 PM
Paid for, lucrative, for some, I care not. I think I speak for most members here.
This is a site where members can exchange ideas and concepts in science
and astronomy. If, perchance, someone is making a buck out of it, so what,
it's not me or other members who are paying. So where is this thread going?
Moderators, please terminate this inane thread, and get us back to what this
site is all about, confluence of like minds in the search for understanding and
truth.
Nokton.

xylophobe
2010-Sep-10, 04:57 PM
If someone wrote a book and referenced this site then does the site get any royalties?

What about using info from this site to write a book - isn't this site copyright protected?

How do the copyright rules apply to this site?

Just wondering in case I get a lot of free time to write a book ........................

Gillianren
2010-Sep-10, 05:43 PM
Maybe we should start taxing the witches.

I don't have any money to be taxed!

PetersCreek
2010-Sep-10, 06:00 PM
Moderators, please terminate this inane thread, and get us back to what this site is all about, confluence of like minds in the search for understanding and truth.
Nokton.

Posts like this only get folks in trouble. If you have a problem with a thread, report it.

Fazor
2010-Sep-10, 08:16 PM
Maybe there isn't the money in astronomy but all the big gambling forums have paid posters. On those forums if you see someone with a 5 figure post count you know they're getting paid.

I just hit five figures a week or two ago, so I'm still waiting for that first check. I assume it's in the mail. Which is odd, since no one ever asked me for my address.

Jeff Root
2010-Sep-10, 08:41 PM
Years ago, I hoped I would win the lottery. I knew my chances
weren't great, but I kept reading of people being surprised to
learn that they had won. I kept my hopes up for a long time,
I certainly wasn't depending on it, or expecting it, but it seemed
like a reasonable hope. But eventually I caught on, from various
things I heard, that your chances of winning really weren't all
that good unless you bought some kind of ticket.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Sep-10, 08:41 PM
I just hit five figures a week or two ago, so I'm still waiting for that first check. I assume it's in the mail. Which is odd, since no one ever asked me for my address.

Because since it is an arm of the secret government (the one that really in charge) they know everything. The pay master is on vacation so it might take a while before you get it.

PetersCreek
2010-Sep-10, 08:53 PM
But eventually I caught on, from various
things I heard, that your chances of winning really weren't all
that good unless you bought some kind of ticket.

Yes, I'd heard the same thing. By my calculations, buying one ticket would virtually guarantee me a remote chance of winning.

Fazor
2010-Sep-10, 09:00 PM
Yes, I'd heard the same thing. By my calculations, buying one ticket would virtually guarantee me a remote chance of winning.
Ah, we have a set of numbers we play for each drawing. I buy five tickets to help increase my odds. . . . what?

kleindoofy
2010-Sep-10, 09:13 PM
I just hit five figures a week or two ago ...
That's one of the strange paradoxes of the internet.

On the one side, it's an achievement of kinds, on the other side it's kind of sad. :lol:

Tensor
2010-Sep-11, 04:05 AM
But eventually I caught on, from various things I heard, that your chances of winning really weren't all that good unless you bought some kind of ticket.Yes, I'd heard the same thing. By my calculations, buying one ticket would virtually guarantee me a remote chance of winning.

You guys know the definition of the lottery, right? A tax for people who don't understand probability.

Jim
2010-Sep-12, 01:28 AM
We were living in Baton Rouge when Louisiana started a state lottery. A friend of mine said he nearly won the big prize on the first drawing. "They drew six numbers and I had six numbers. Not the same six, but still..."

Six months after they started the lottery, a local TV station interviewed people about it. One elderly woman said she bought five $1 tickets every week. Well, except for one week when she realized as they started the drawing that she had forgotten to buy her tickets. The reporter asked her what she did then. "Went into the bathroom and flushed a five down the toilet. Same effect."