PDA

View Full Version : Why was Project Orion originally banned?

invisible
2010-Sep-13, 04:12 AM
This was nearly a decade ago. Does anybody remember? Links to postings would be appreciated. Also, am wondering why he was banned again recently. The reason given was 'sock puppetry' but he used the same username.

Banned Thread.
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/30979-BAUT-banned-suspended-posters-log

Same username in recent discussion.
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/107169-Is-the-universe-being-swallowed-up-by-black-holes

invisible
2010-Sep-13, 04:14 AM
I am ofcourse referring the ex-board member and writer. Not the atomic bomb rocket program of the late 50's and early 60's.

Spoons
2010-Sep-13, 04:25 AM
Different names.

The one banned in 2005 was "projectorion", and the newer one, banned as a sock puppet, was "Project Orion".

invisible
2010-Sep-13, 04:26 AM
Tell me you are joking.

Spoons
2010-Sep-13, 04:29 AM
No, I'm not. Tell me you understand why he was banned for "ban-evasion" or "sock-puppetry".
Also, follow the link in the first link you included. The reason for the banning was explained - he was being sarcastic and showing a bit of attitude. He also asked to be banned. One of these characters that wears it as a badge of honour, I guess.

invisible
2010-Sep-13, 04:38 AM
I understand. There is an empty space between the two words and they are capitalised. He was banned for using correct grammar?

Sarcasm powers this forum doesn't it? What attitude are you referring to?

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/29106-Project-Orion?p=544913#post544913

That refers to a later ban. Not the first. BA claims his attitude was unbecoming. Again, no examples given. If I was banned without reason I'd probably have a bad attitude too.

Does anyone know why he was originally banned? Not subsequent bans but the first.

Van Rijn
2010-Sep-13, 04:38 AM
This was nearly a decade ago. Does anybody remember? Links to postings would be appreciated. Also, am wondering why he was banned again recently. The reason given was 'sock puppetry' but he used the same username.

Banned Thread.
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/30979-BAUT-banned-suspended-posters-log

That was in 2005. I think I remember hearing he had been banned before, but that would have been on one or both of the parent boards (BABB or UT). I'm pretty sure he had been on BABB before (Phil's board). I don't know about UT.

In 2005, on the new BAUT, I remember he was warned about his rude behavior, but kept doing it. That led to the ban.

I only remember this because he made such a big deal about it (I think he even had a web page about his BAUT banning :doh:) and came back repeatedly under various sock puppets. As I said in the other thread, search on "Wayne Smith".

I'm curious, invisible, why are you so interested in this particular case?

invisible
2010-Sep-13, 04:42 AM
I'm currently talking to him via email. He recommended this board to me weeks ago and I assumed he was a member.

I would spray elf killer all over your garden. Then state categorically that there is no possibility of a living invisible elf in your garden.

Gillianren
2010-Sep-13, 04:45 AM
If he'd followed the rules (and I remember very few specific bannings), he'd still be a member.

Spoons
2010-Sep-13, 04:45 AM
I understand. There is an empty space between the two words and they are capitalised. He was banned for using correct grammar?

Sarcasm powers this forum doesn't it? What attitude are you referring to?

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/29106-Project-Orion?p=544913#post544913

That refers to a later ban. Not the first. BA claims his attitude was unbecoming. Again, no examples given. If I was banned without reason I'd probably have a bad attitude too.

Does anyone know why he was originally banned? Not subsequent bans but the first.

If you're not even going to try to understand then I'm not going to continue this.

Why don't you tell us why he was originally banned then? It sounds like a pop quiz - sounds like you might know.

invisible
2010-Sep-13, 04:50 AM
Understand what? Sock puppetry is hiding your identity with an alternative name. Clearly it wasn't sock puppetry. Its the same name with a space between the words. Sorry if the truth upsets you. Continue what?

Why don't you tell us why he was originally banned then? It sounds like a pop quiz - sounds like you might know.

If I knew the answer then I wouldn't be asking. I tried asking Project Orion but he doesn't know either.

Spoons
2010-Sep-13, 04:54 AM
The term "sock puppetry" and it's intended use in the rules of this site have been defined already. Semantics games won't achieve anything if you just want to understand how this site is meant to run. Follow this link (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/107564-member-invisible-on-BAUT-and-its-rules?p=1789859#post1789859) back to your other thread on the rules/banning topic for a refresher if req'd.

Oh, and yes, the truth cuts deep into me. It's why I walk with a limp. :rolleyes:

invisible
2010-Sep-13, 04:59 AM
No thanks. I never read fine print rules. Far too boring. So you have your own definition of sock puppetry which diverges from the rest of the net like wikipedia. Sorry about the limp. Did somebody kick you?

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/84062-Username-changes

All these people are sock puppets then. Better ban them quickly before they start showing attitude.

Spoons
2010-Sep-13, 05:04 AM
Don't read rules? Don't complain about them then.

Didn't you start a thread about the rules? Interesting that you now seem to be saying that you have no intention of reading them.

invisible
2010-Sep-13, 05:08 AM
I am sensing bad attitude from you Spoons. Be careful or you might vanish.

Don't recall complaining. Just trying to get a straight answer. Magistrates generally see animosity as a sign of guilt. Guilt induces aggression.

I didn't start a thread about the rules. It was chopped out of another discussion without my permission.

Van Rijn
2010-Sep-13, 05:11 AM
Searching on Wayne Smith (as I suggested twice), from:

http://www.bautforum.com/archive/index.php/t-30979.html

projectorion and sock wayne_smith banned for repeated offenses

archiebald, sarah90 and Blondy have all been banned as reincarnations of Wayne Smith aka Project Orion.

Wikipedian was also banned as a Wayne Smith puppet.

invisible
2010-Sep-13, 05:15 AM
Repeated offences could be anything. archiebald and sarah90 are members of other boards. He says Blondy and Wikipedian are his though.

I recommend arsenic for that elf problem. You should always take care of your elf.

Gillianren
2010-Sep-13, 05:55 AM
It is defined in the rules that starting a second account for yourself will be considered sock puppetry and treated as such. In short, his starting multiple accounts is expressly against the rules and he knew it. Certainly after the first banning for it, he no longer had an excuse.

Spoons
2010-Sep-13, 06:00 AM
The term "sock-puppetry", as defined, could be replaced with any random collection of alpha-numeric characters, but it is easy enough for most people here, with their mighty brains, to understand the intent as it stands.

Atraveller
2010-Sep-13, 06:17 AM
Is it still "sock-puppetry" if you suffer from multiple personality disorder?

Spoons
2010-Sep-13, 06:21 AM
Fascinating question. I want to hear this answer.

Canis Lupus
2010-Sep-13, 06:34 AM
... but it is easy enough for most people here, with their mighty brains ...

Thank you, Spoons, I didn't realise you had noticed. :dance:

Nereid
2010-Sep-13, 06:49 AM
Tell me you are joking.
There are, IIRC, cases of BAUT members with very similar user names, yet they are separate accounts (and quite different people, IRL). There are also cases of spamsters (etc) who have deliberately created accounts whose names very closely resemble those of "Order of Kilopi" members (and others).

Mods can check things like IP addresses, as part of their determination of whether sock puppetry is afoot.

I'm not sure how easy it is to find the relevant posts by Wayne Smith (they should all still be there, despite the changes BAUT has gone through since its founding), but the public record of his rule violations is pretty clear, and the rule violations extremely blatant. And how do I know this? Because I was a mod at the time.

ETA: I'm a little confused by the question in the OP; "original" wrt BAUT means from the time BABB and UT merged. AFAIK, neither BABB nor UT (as an internet discussion forum) are nearly a decade old.

Spoons
2010-Sep-13, 06:53 AM
Thank you, Spoons, I didn't realise you had noticed. :dance:

It's hard to miss it, CL. :D

tusenfem
2010-Sep-13, 06:59 AM
A BAUT member who gets banned, gets banned for a reason. Not complying with the rules of the board (see the links in my sig) could be a reason.
A banned (note, not suspended) (ex)member is no longer allowed back on BAUT, be it under the original name or under another name (sock puppetry). So the ex-BAUTer was not banned for bad grammar, but because he had been banned before and thus has lost his rights to be here on BAUT.
The fact that a banned BAUTer is still a member of other discussion fora is of no consequence for the banning. Different fora have different rules.
Any reason why you are so interested in Project Orion? As far as I can see he got banned before the merger of BA and UT by the owner of the latter. Correction, that should be just after the merger.

ETA: I think this is the thread that finally made projectorion kick the bucket (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/29187-Bad-Astronomy-Road-Tested!?highlight=)

BetaDust
2010-Sep-13, 08:29 AM
ETA: I think this is the thread that finally made projectorion kick the bucket (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/29187-Bad-Astronomy-Road-Tested!?highlight=)

Clicking that link gives me this message:

BetaDust, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

-- Dennis

Moose
2010-Sep-13, 08:54 AM
As folks may have begun to suspect by now, yeah, he was sock puppeting (and ban evading) at the same time. Same old lack of a life, same old behaviors. Time to start breakfast.

ToSeek
2010-Sep-13, 03:24 PM
Clicking that link gives me this message:

-- Dennis

It's a removed thread in the admin area. So the mods and admins can see it without hindrance but not regular users. We don't get any special indication that it's a private area, though, so it's easy to refer to it without realizing most people don't have access.