PDA

View Full Version : A new doomcry: comets will harm Earth on April 16th

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Apr-07, 05:08 AM
I got an email today asking me to take a look at a thread on GodLikeProductions. It was about astronomy, so what the heck, I took a look. It claims that "something" will happen on April 16th (http://www.godlikeproductions.com/bbs/message.php?page=1&topic=3&message=279233&mpage=1) . It's now the common thought on that thread that the culprit is a pair of comets relatively near the Earth right now. They are not saying impact, but that something will happen when we get near the comets' tails.

I'll note the thread is 32 pages long as I write this. I have posted on pages 30 and 32.

I suspect this is not just another in a long line of people crying doom. I suspect this is a practical joke. My reasoning is that it has all the signs of a "cold reading". The OP is extremely vague, just saying a date. He gives no specific info until someone says crop circles, one specifically that looks like it is an orbit diagram. Then the original poster starts talking astronomy.

In other words, he gave a date, and let others find the event for him. At least, it's possible if this is indeed a joke.

Anyway, if you go to the thread, read it, and decide to post something, remember: BE POLITE. I mean it. If this turns into a "real" scare ("real" in quotes not because anything will happen, but "real" in the sense that people will really get scared over nothing) then I'll write it up on the main site (if I have time). But I'd rather people weren't scared, and it'll be that much harder to get them to listen to reason if some people from here rudely blast away.

Like the last time people were worried over nothing, this'll blow over by April 17th latest, but I am hoping it'll evaporate sooner when people figure out it's nothing.

freddo
2004-Apr-07, 05:37 AM
So which comet are we passing through the tail of?

NGR
2004-Apr-07, 05:48 AM
So which comet are we passing through the tail of?

I assume its Comets C/2001 Q4 (NEAT) and C/2002 T7 (LINEAR) as they are nearing their closest approach to earth.

Like the last time people were worried over nothing, this'll blow over by April 17th latest, but I am hoping it'll evaporate sooner when people figure out it's nothing.

I'm sure this is true however I also think that someone could start up another similar scare thread a few days later and attract the very same anxious followers :)

Brady Yoon
2004-Apr-07, 05:58 AM
Will we at least be seeing some decent meteor showers? Or are the tail particles too small? :cry:

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Apr-07, 06:30 AM
I do have to be quite cautious in picking my battles, as my inexperience in matters astronomical is only exceeded by my inexperience in matters of arguments logical...but thanks to the boards of Mr Randi and Dr Plait, I am learning at a dizzying pace...

This is such an easy target, though...

So we pass through the tail of a comet later this year. Whoopensiedoo...this is going to be TEOTWAWKI? Not quite...as HRMWOTAS commented on GLP, Earth passed through the tail of Comet Halley back in 1910 without ill effect (other than the passing of Samuel Clemens, who foretold his own passing as he'd been born the last time Halley strolled through, and told people that Halley's return would mark the ending of his life).
The chemical composition of the comet's tail is of interest to science for what it will reveal about the building blocks of the universe, but the tail is so tenuous and wispy and just plain thin that there isn't enough there to cause any real interaction with fauna on Earth. Remember, the tail can be seen 'cause it's reflective and it's HUGE...how many kazillion miles long is the generic comet tail? It's so almost-not-there that light pushes it around...this is not what you'd call something solid. Compared to a comet's tail, steam probably has the consistency of wrought iron.
Even if we sat inside the comet's tail (it would have to hang around us a bit, Planet X-style), there just isn't enough stuff there to do anything to anyone. Sure, there's traces of cyanide and other ickies in the tail...have you analyzed your tap water recently?

As far as this being 'predicted', well, I'd call it 'selective research' and 'cold reading' at their finest. The Bringer Of Bad Tidings never really says what's going to happen, he lets a few of the faithful come up with some vague predictions made back in the 60's in Spain from religious visions (and they were intensely non-specific as to what was gonna happen when, also). And of course, there's much chiming in as to how dead-on accurate the OP'er is...

I think Our Esteemed Host puts it most succinctly when he opines that we still need to pay our taxes on the 15th, 'cause we'll still be here the 16th.

GLP&Co have got to come up with some new stuff...this one was too easy.

Swift
2004-Apr-07, 01:04 PM
I would say it is 100% true that something will happen on April 16. It probably will even be something bad. It won't have anything to do with comets and it won't be worse than the stuff on the 15th or the 17th, but something will happen. #-o

Donnie B.
2004-Apr-07, 01:15 PM
I think Our Esteemed Host puts it most succinctly when he opines that we still need to pay our taxes on the 15th, 'cause we'll still be here the 16th.
Actually, no... you can file for an automatic extension. 8)

AstroSmurf
2004-Apr-07, 01:28 PM
April 16 will be an excellent day. I'll get to spend the whole evening watching Lexx 8)

So, while planets will definitely be blown up, none of them will be the one I'm living on...

AstroSmurf
2004-Apr-07, 01:30 PM
By the way, the latest take on GLP was that 'Oh, but they only had rudimentary orbital mechanics in 1910, so they didn't really pass through the tail, they just thought they did...' :roll:

Eta C
2004-Apr-07, 01:35 PM
Actually, no... you can file for an automatic extension. 8)

Not to nit (ok, to nit) but you still need to have paid taxes by the 15th. The extension is just a delay in filing the return. Of course, if you've got a refund coming (as I did 8) ) then you should have filed a couple of months ago.

mr. show
2004-Apr-07, 02:54 PM
I thought the ETA for Toutatis was Sept/Oct?

If anything, Toutatis will be the interesting one. After all, it is the "Comet of Nostradamus." :lol:

jawajedi
2004-Apr-07, 04:53 PM
Well Kill Bill Vol 2 starts that day in the theaters

skrap1r0n
2004-Apr-07, 05:47 PM
Well Kill Bill Vol 2 starts that day in the theaters

I'm gonna be pizzed if we all die before I can see KB vol2.

Andromeda321
2004-Apr-08, 12:07 AM
So we pass through the tail of a comet later this year. Whoopensiedoo...this is going to be TEOTWAWKI? Not quite...as HRMWOTAS commented on GLP, Earth passed through the tail of Comet Halley back in 1910 without ill effect (other than the passing of Samuel Clemens, who foretold his own passing as he'd been born the last time Halley strolled through, and told people that Halley's return would mark the ending of his life).

I was thinking about that too. I mean why do you need to reinvent a doomsday scenario when there are so many plots to choose from by now?
Wait... that kind of shows how often these people are right. Minor detail. :wink:

cyswxman
2004-Apr-09, 07:47 AM
I believe the tracks of both these comets are such that they don't ever pass in between the Earth and the Sun, thus we never will get in the tail, they will always be pointed generally away from the Earth, right?

Ikyoto
2004-Apr-09, 01:09 PM
How can anyone even READ that thread? It's full of semi-coherent ramblings and such absolute babble that it makes no sense at all!

I can't understand how so many people can be so... so... nuts! I'm sorry if it sounds like an attack, but I'm at a complete loss of words to describe what that site looks like. There is paranoia bordering on clinical and delusional rantings that show some people with the symptoms of psychotic breaks!

I shudder for the world - not from any external source or imagined sources, but from the lack of rational thought!

Astronot
2004-Apr-09, 01:50 PM
39 pages of speculation, with an occasional thoughtful post. Some insults and drivel thrown in for fun too. All in 19 days, and that’s one thread. How does anyone have time to keep up with that board.

Drakheim
2004-Apr-09, 01:57 PM
So are the tail particals to small to notice if the Earth were to pass through a comets tail? Or would we be in for one neat light show?

tofu
2004-Apr-09, 05:34 PM
So are the tail particals to small to notice if the Earth were to pass through a comets tail? Or would we be in for one neat light show?All meteor showers are caused by comet dust, so when you hear people mention the Leonids or whatever that means the Earth is passing through a comet's trail.

Madcat
2004-Apr-09, 07:38 PM
Okay. So the rationale on GLP goes a bit like this:

"Hmm. We're gonna pass through the tail of a comet."

"Wait! Weren't people really scared in the early 1900s that passing through the tail of a comet would end the world? You know, when we passed through the tail of Halley's comet?"

"Oh no, it's the end of the world!"

"Yeah, just like last time... hey waitasec..."

:-?

"Oh those people didn't know what they were talking about in the 1900's."

"See? We can panic because they were wrong."

kenneth rodman
2004-Apr-14, 11:33 AM
Well, my first clue that this is nonsense was his mispelling of the word calendar( hes spelled it as "calander"]

Donnie B.
2004-Apr-14, 03:30 PM
Maybe he meant 'colander'.

Jigsaw
2004-Apr-16, 02:21 AM
Well, okay, it's now April 16 on the Other Side of the Pond--anybody missing?

:lol:

iFire
2004-Apr-16, 03:02 AM
I'll post tommorrow morning to make sure humanity survived during my slumber :P... The impact better not wake me up.... people will die if the do...

Quantum_Raider
2004-Apr-16, 03:22 AM
15:22 16th April

Apart from a meteor being sighted at 0620 this morning nothing else exciting happening here in NZ.

Ikyoto
2004-Apr-16, 04:16 AM
00:08 in Buffalo NY.

Yawn.... Heading to bed. Got laudry to do in the morning

Hey! If anything does happen, could someone please make sure to tell me? I'll take any excuse to not have to fold stuff!

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Apr-16, 07:00 AM
Three ayem in flyover country 16 Apr...the IRS is gearing up on the East Coast to go out and find those who missed the deadilne...

...I'm gonna go home and try to collimate a telescope.

Quantum_Raider
2004-Apr-16, 07:14 AM
Update: 19:14 hrs Friday 16th April

Running Test ...

yup gravity is still switched on

JohnOwens
2004-Apr-16, 07:21 AM
0721 Zulu, 02:21 CDT... nothing much here to se... OH MY GOD THAT LIGHT! What can it be!?! IT'S MOVING! NOOO!!! :o

Oops, just a car. Never mind. Nothing to report here. :lol:

carolyn
2004-Apr-16, 09:17 AM
well its 10.14 on the 16th and I am still here, next door is building a patio and has been for several days. should I tell him I wonder ... hmm, all is futile, the end is (very) nigh.

Any body know what 'nigh' actualy means???

Donnie B.
2004-Apr-16, 12:01 PM
well its 10.14 on the 16th and I am still here, next door is building a patio and has been for several days. should I tell him I wonder ... hmm, all is futile, the end is (very) nigh.

Any body know what 'nigh' actualy means???
It's just an old form of the word "near".

kucharek
2004-Apr-16, 12:17 PM
14:20 CEST.
The sun is shining.
Looks like it will be a bright weekend.
I have to clean the windows. :-(
That means, rain will follow soon.
Looking into the kids room.
Yup, looks like something has impacted there.
But that's the case most of the time...
Not related to astronomy. Just entropy at work.

Harald

Swift
2004-Apr-16, 12:28 PM
Oh gosh, I forgot today was supposed to be the end of the world. (Looks through calendar). Man, I'm really packed today, could we push it off to next week some time. Look, have your comets call my space aliens, maybe they can pick a date for it. Got to run.

Andre
2004-Apr-16, 01:04 PM
Day is halfway, We are holding or breath. Friends are hiding under tables. Why are the chickens so little here.

The silence is deafening. ;)

jt-3d
2004-Apr-16, 01:24 PM
Time for bed here. Wake me if I get killed by a falling rock.

Dgennero
2004-Apr-16, 02:35 PM
The "ides of March" (April 16th) has come but not gone yet.
It's 10:35 AM here.
Weather is fine so far.
No unusual activity in the sky.
Key West Naval Base still standing.

boppa
2004-Apr-16, 04:15 PM
well it is 2.13am sat 17th here

(in best simpsons voice ala bart and lisa)

am I dead yet,am I dead yet,am I dead yet :lol:

iFire
2004-Apr-16, 05:01 PM
Its 12:04 CDT... here... Still alive... I still have schoolwork :(

Normandy6644
2004-Apr-16, 06:47 PM
Won't we all feel stupid if the world does end. :lol:

hedin
2004-Apr-16, 07:27 PM
well it has been a beautiful 16th of april here in Denmark. 18 celsius and not a cloud in the sky. IŽd sure hate for the world to end today, because they are forecasting another beautiful day tomorrow. :lol: Only 2 and a half hours left of the 16th. Bedtime, have to go to work tomorrow yŽall stay safe out there.

Tranquility
2004-Apr-16, 07:36 PM

lol i'd bet we would :D

Almost midway round the world from where you guys are, 25 minutes to midnight. Can this comet make it and destroy us before the deadline?

A BRIGHT FLASH OF LIGHT.
EVERYTHING IS BLINDING IN ITS BRIGHTNESS.
IS THIS THE END?

Oh sorry. Just my brother turned on the light.
Freakish.

Swift
2004-Apr-16, 08:20 PM
Reminds me of the ending to Arthur C. Clarke's story "The Nine Billion Names of God". I won't spoil it, go find the story.

shash
2004-Apr-16, 09:02 PM
02:30 on 17th here...

*looks across room*

Yikes! There's an unearthly glow there! :o

THIS IS THE.... cell phone finishing its charge up routine and switching on the backlight for a second! ;)

Nice end of the world!

Ikyoto
2004-Apr-17, 05:22 AM
Anyone gonna go point out to the poster on the other site that their predictions seem a tad off?

themusk
2004-Apr-17, 05:47 AM
Anyone gonna go point out to the poster on the other site that their predictions seem a tad off?

Well, we do have a few more time zones left before April 16th is done across the globe. It's only 6:30 PM or so on uninhabited Jarvis Island. Surely the forecaster must have meant April 16th, Jarvis time, right? Or maybe the poster meant the a date pronounced somewhat like the English "April 16th" on some other planet somewhere in the universe. Or maybe the comets have been intercepted by aliens equipped with a giant catcher's mitt four times the size of the earth. Or something.

Surely it couldn't be that the prediction was wrong :wink: :roll:

boppa
2004-Apr-17, 07:07 AM
http://www.matter-antimatter.com/news_release_16.htm

On Monday, July 4, 2005, NASA plans to collide a 350 kilogram spacecraft into the antimatter Comet Tempel 1. The spacecraft's impact with the comet will result in a 7,500 Megatons nuclear explosion that will fracture the 125 billion metric ton comet into millions of fragments. The metric tons of comet's antimatter fragments will disperse in an orbit around the sun and will periodically collide with earth for years to come and produce tremendous explosions (equivalent to millions of Megatons of TNT) that will destroy life on earth as we know it. Armageddon will have come.

Astronomers and scientists should immediately inform the public everything they know about the dangers and opportunities of antimatter. They should provided and discuss their plans to avoid colliding with the Comet Tempel 1; and how they plan to use antimatter to benefit humanity.

found this while off in the stranger realms of the webiverse

apparently comets are antimatter
:roll:

carolyn
2004-Apr-17, 07:32 AM
well it's the morning of the 17th an were still all here so yehhhh \:D/ to that.

Spent last night watching 'Sean of the dead' at the movies quite apropriate We felt. It's the spoof movie of 'Dawn of the Dead' in case you have not heard of it, and it's well worth the money, very, very funny go see it....

jrkeller
2004-Apr-17, 12:07 PM
It's April 17th and I'm still here. Dang it, now I have to take my daughter to a birthday party for one of her classmates. One she really doesn't like.

kanon14
2004-Apr-18, 06:35 AM
ohh god... i counted on the tail to bring chaos, that why i didn't write my end-term paper which is due tomorrow. now i'm doomed!!!

Tranquility
2004-Apr-18, 06:39 AM
lol maybe we should sticky this thread for any new doomcries and just point any doomcriers to this one instead of bothering with it everytime a new one comes up.

Any whiff of whats going on in GLP after this one was again proven wrong? I hope the perpetrator of this nonsense is hammered by now.

scottmsg
2004-Apr-18, 07:05 AM
Any whiff of whats going on in GLP after this one was again proven wrong? I hope the perpetrator of this nonsense is hammered by now.

I've only looked at the last page of the original post (pg. 92) so far. It seems that most of the posters are assuming something did happen, but it's being covered up by some government agency. There is also some picking through the original post trying to find reasons why the event was not noticeable (ie nothing happened). #-o

Tranquility
2004-Apr-18, 08:08 AM
Haha thanks for this. Hilarious.
I wonder what kind of a powerful government can cover up the effects of a comet. Its like a little baby trying to cover up the smell of his own dirty pampers.

lol instead of trying to find unreasonable nonsense about why we couldnt see anything they could instead take the short route and show (easily) that the perpetrators of this doomcry were, in fact, absurdly wrong.

I mean if this comet destroyed the Earth, wouldnt it be obvious, and quite apparent for us :x

scottmsg
2004-Apr-18, 11:46 PM
noted and warned (who started this whole thing), has just returned to the April 16 thread on page 98. I'm not sure what s/he is saying, but it seems that s/he is trying to claim that the actual "date of doom" is later. Maybe someone who is more GLP fluent can interpret the post.

link (http://www.godlikeproductions.com/bbs/message.php?page=98&topic=3&message=279233&mpage=1 &showdate=4/18/04)

Edited to Add: Of course, it is possible that this is a completely different person.

iFire
2004-Apr-19, 12:32 AM
Yea, the government covered up our deaths, now we are all living in a satelite circling planet x jacked into a giant computer, there is no spoon :o.

Lurker
2004-Apr-19, 12:57 AM
Yea, the government covered up our deaths, now we are all living in a satelite circling planet x jacked into a giant computer, there is no spoon :o.
I knew it!! I just knew it!! Another government cover up!! [-(

Andromeda321
2004-Apr-19, 01:35 AM
Which brings the total to four thousand three hundred sixty six and a half. Unless I missed a few in there... :-?

Bill Dunaway
2004-Apr-19, 01:49 AM
I have reliable evidence that the entire nation of Gullibia was destroyed on April 17th. The evil conspiracy dudes have managed to not only cover up the disaster, but remove nearly all knowledge of Gullibia's existance from our memories. The even removed Gullibia from the dictionary. For only $19.95 +SH you can read my exciting book which exposes this cover up.

Andromeda321
2004-Apr-19, 02:11 AM
Really? That explains it then... :o :o :o
Funny story of the day- a few years ago we told one of the girls gullible was written on her forehead. She actually believed us and asked other people if it was true and they all said yes, so she started getting really worried. Apparently her mom gave an angry call to the school that evening but the principal said she couldn't really punish us because she kept laughing about it. :lol:

skrap1r0n
2004-Apr-19, 04:46 PM
funny, I was on a 40ft sailboat on a sunset cruise out of Cabo San Lucas on the evening of the 16th hoping to capture the "green flash" on film. Apparently the comet denied me the thrill of seeing the green flash, so I assumed it was the end of the world. There were, however, about 500 Dolphins warning us of the end of the world as they were providing us one hell of a show.

AstroRockHunter
2004-Apr-19, 07:46 PM
It's now April 19, 2004.

Did I sleep through something???

Andromeda321
2004-Apr-19, 09:55 PM
Yep. You slept through the world takeover by the little green men from Alpha Centauri, the massive tidal wave due to Planet X AND a comet, and what will forever be referred to as "the firecracker incident." We are all, however, sworn to secrecy about what really went on and are carrying on as if nothing happened to keep our sanity. 8-[
Oh, and we're carrying on to keep you from realizing you're in the Matrix. The Matrix in the cool sense like the anticipation after the first one, not like after the third one where everyone was let down. 8)

Tranquility
2004-Apr-20, 12:15 PM
Does anyone else think the cartoon of the man sitting on the computer and smacking his head on the desk which appears top left sometimes on GLP is so appropriate? I mean i've come close to doing it while reading some stuff there every once in a while.