PDA

View Full Version : TheEv3nt tv show thread: discussion and speculation but no future episode spoilers

Ara Pacis
2010-Sep-21, 08:50 PM
I was wondering if anyone else watched this last night. It looks science-fictiony, what with the event at the end of the first episode.

I figure we can talk about recent episodes here and speculations on the meaning of events in The Event, but no future spoilers.

It's kinda confusing, but what I've extracted so far is there there are at least 97 people who are detainees of the US military for some yet to be disclosed reason. Some people want to keep this fact secret. some want to publicize it. Some want to release the detainees after a public admission, and perhaps there are some who want to free them without a public admission of their existence. It's not clear yet.

The titular event might be one of several things.
1, It might be the public address the US President wants to give.
2, It could be the "terrorist" attack that occurs in the first episode, an assassination attempt.
3, It could be the science-fictional/magical deus-ex-machina that prevents the attack from succeeding.
4, It could be some yet to be disclosed event that will occur in the future* (more about that below)

This show reminds me of several other TV shows and movies:
The 4400, because there are special people being held prisoner and they don't appear to be your regular terrorists and a possible 3rd group are responsible for the apparent teleportation of an airliner and prophesy a future event that results in a way or somehow changes life as we know it.
Millenium, the movie, because the plane disappears and the whole premise seems to be about knowing of a future event.
Flashforward, for the same reason, predicting a future event.

So far, I'm guessing this. The 97 detainees are not the whole number of their people. The spelling of the title with a reversed E signifies that 3 is a clue, and I'm guessing that it means 3 people who are free from the 97 detainees (making an even 100) and plotting to do something or to prevent something from being done. I'm guessing that the detainees are either from the future, becuse the main reason for their detention is that they are refusing to speak of what they know. But I suppose they could be aliens in disguise or human aliens from another planet, and they are held in Alaska because they landed there or because there is some aerospace research center (HAARP?) there that caused them to go there. Or they may be mutants with super-hero abilities, which may be why they were hidden in a remote mountain prison in cold Alaska.

2 sisters go missing. One plainly abducted with their mother shot dead and the other disappears where the reality surrounding her changes to seem as if older daughter was never physically where her boyfriend left her. This suggests two different forces at work with two different modus operandi. One is straightforward with brute force and tactics. The other is either a much more complicated conspiracy, or it is magical or science fictional with regards to space-time (which is why I suspect the detainees are time-travelers). The father of the abducted sisters is coerced into performing the terrorist attack (presumably to spare one or more daughter's life), while the older sister's boyfriend/would-be-fiancee somehow learns something and gets on the plane to stop the attack by his would-be father in law. It's hard to know which side is the good side and which is the bad. Moreover, since the attack did postpone the public statement, it's unclear if either side really wanted and expected the assassination attempt to succeed and was merely testing the other side's resolve.

What does anyone else think so far?

vonmazur
2010-Sep-22, 03:40 AM
I think Dark Skies cover this years ago, and NBC is desperate....At least Dark Skies had Art Bell in one scene!!:)

Dale

Ara Pacis
2010-Sep-22, 04:10 AM
I think the OP was too long and scared everyone off.

vonmazur
2010-Sep-22, 05:07 AM
Ara: The episode was confusing and scared everyone off!! :)

Dale

Ara Pacis
2010-Sep-22, 05:53 AM
True, I'll give it a second episode before I call it quits. I actually watched FlashForward and was disappointed in the ending. It would have made a much better miniseries than an open-ended serial.

Van Rijn
2010-Sep-22, 06:45 AM
Ara: The episode was confusing and scared everyone off!! :)

Dale

That was pretty much my case. It was too jumbled. When they built up to a dramatic point, then cut back to something that supposedly happened a week earlier, I stopped watching.

I'm mildly curious what the event is supposed to be, but I'm not going to invest much time in it. I'm not going to wait around for the big secret (which probably won't be very exciting if and when they get around to describing it).

99gecko
2010-Sep-22, 04:42 PM
The spelling of the title with a reversed E signifies that 3 is a clue, and I'm guessing that it means 3 people who are free from the 97 detainees (making an even 100) and plotting to do something or to prevent something from being done.
I assumed the reversed E might just be graphic stylization to give symmetry to that part of the title: EV3. Just a thought. I haven't watched the pilot episode but have it recorded. However I will state that trying to copy the formula that gave LOST it's appeal is a non-starter. The producers have stated that answers will be given quickly, but LOST producers always gave the similar appeals to viewers to give it time: they gave one small answer but simultaneously launched a couple of more mysteries.

cheers.

Ara Pacis
2010-Sep-23, 12:05 AM
I never watched Lost.

The visual style makes The Ev3nt look confusing, but after it's unravelled, it's only moderately compelling.

Doodler
2010-Sep-23, 02:43 AM
Supposedly, the Event writers intend to answer some questions along the way, such as next ep is supposedly going to explain who "they" are, and whatnot. That said, the "why" should keep things interesting, as long as the writing team actually has a "why" in mind as they're pounding away at the keyboard...

My thoughts:

We're dealing with a hybrid twist between Millennium and Star Trek's various 29th-31st century Federation incarnations (i.e. temporally adept, and just plain arrogant about it). Could be cool, could be enough to make punching oneself in the crotch sound more amusing, all dependent on exactly the "who" end up being, and how they end up being characterized.

Ara Pacis
2010-Sep-23, 03:47 AM
Tonnight I saw a promo for next weeks episode. The voice over was saying, "On Monday, millions of viewers found themselves wondering..."

"...Why they were watching this", I voiced over.

parallaxicality
2010-Sep-23, 02:00 PM
Perhaps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_rCnueID8=)

this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7kSm9cVIjQ&feature=related)

was ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu6CQ2rBbuI&feature=related)

The Event! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCnCRj5-bC4)

Seriously though, FlashForward didn't work; why are they trying to replicate it?

Van Rijn
2010-Sep-25, 01:23 AM
Seriously though, FlashForward didn't work; why are they trying to replicate it?

I've only watched 20-30 minutes of "The Event" but that bit felt very different to me. In "Event" they seemed to cut away every time they started getting close to explaining anything. The event in Flash Forward was known from the beginning (it's the title, after all). There, it was the details, the how and why, of the event that they explained over time. I liked the show, at least enough to keep watching. I did get tired of the "every other person is in a conspiracy" angle, though. I think they killed "Flash Forward" by having too long a winter break between episodes, given that this was a show where details in the arc were very important.

Anyway, it didn't seem to me they were as bad about not explaining things as this show (I was fed up after watching half the first episode of "Event").

vonmazur
2010-Sep-28, 03:20 AM
There are so many things about this show that are just not right, ie: The Alaskan Air Force, WW 2, knowing that something crashed in a remote area....Not a chance, they had very little radar, and no long range or wide area radar, all that came after the war....I doubt they used the phrase "What are your Coordinates?" Just how are they going to get to the site, and remove the Aliens?? Helicopters?? not in 1944 Alaska...I would have taken them weeks to get there, unless they dropped in a lot of Airborne Troops.....I think the script writers are most likely not historians, just the ROTM Hollywood hacks...Playing too many video games......

Dale

Ara Pacis
2010-Oct-02, 03:42 AM
I agree. I may give it one more week, but it's starting to lose the appeal. Sure, we're supposed to think they are aliens, but we all know they are from the future and the genetic difference is due to some sort of event (bio war, bio-adaptation to GW, who knows) and that it's two factions of aliens, either from the main group, or others coming here too. I'm sure the plot is loaded with lots of twists and turns and reversals, but they haven't really given me a reason to care.

toolazytotypemyname
2010-Oct-20, 01:49 AM
I guess the conspiracy goes much deeper than anyone could have possibly imagined. Did you noticed that she bumped the mouse and then the screensaver came on? How did the aliens (or whatever they are) ever pull that one off?

mike alexander
2010-Oct-20, 03:05 AM
I watched the whole first episode and my goodness! an airliner mysteriously disappears and then crashes in an unknown place.

I had a feeling I'd seen that before... but where? Where?

I felt lost.

vonmazur
2010-Oct-20, 04:01 AM
I watched the whole first episode and my goodness! an airliner mysteriously disappears and then crashes in an unknown place.

I had a feeling I'd seen that before... but where? Where?

I felt lost.

Millenium Kris Kristopherson flick...

Dale

parallaxicality
2010-Oct-27, 03:26 AM
OK, this show is officially not fun anymore.

Anyone else scream "Just kill her already!" at that terrible actress playing the journalist?

And I keep having to remind myself, "This is written by Glenn Morgan, the guy who wrote "The X-Files" when it was good, keep waiting, it has to get good at some point!"

Ara Pacis
2011-Mar-15, 10:04 PM
Interesting. Last night there was an issue with a US nuclear power plant and a possible release of radioactivity that the President had to deal with, meanwhile the Japanese President was visiting the White House. Talk about coincidences...

Ara Pacis
2011-Mar-30, 01:47 PM
For anyone who was watching. Finally, the show has picked up a little excitement... but I wonder if it's too little too late. I mean, the first season is almost over and someone finally calls the alien's bluff and torched 2/3rd of them in a few minutes. I still think that Apache pilot should have just used ripple-fire.

Hlafordlaes
2011-Mar-31, 07:59 PM
I still watch the series due to a dirth of material otherwise, but boy is the science bad. When was it, two or three episodes ago, when they sent a signal to their home planet via satellite using standard EM frequencies (must've been, since the humans were able to intercept), receiving an answer within days. Right. Not even a trekkie workaround using "subspace" channels, sigh.

Ara Pacis
2011-Mar-31, 10:21 PM
I still watch the series due to a dirth of material otherwise, but boy is the science bad. When was it, two or three episodes ago, when they sent a signal to their home planet via satellite using standard EM frequencies (must've been, since the humans were able to intercept), receiving an answer within days. Right. Not even a trekkie workaround using "subspace" channels, sigh.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I was wondering if it would eventually be revealed as good science and that they have a satellite a few light days away that talks to the alien home world, which I still think might be Future Earth. after the last episode, I find that less probable.

I'm not sure when you watch it in Barcelona, but the newest one suggests that aliens have been coming here for a while... which makes what the old man was doing seem less evil and make some sense, if you put the two ideas together and extrapolate. I don't want to ruin it for you if you see it later than I do. Otherwise I can go ahead and put up my plot-theory-of-the-week.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Apr-01, 06:24 AM
I still watch the series due to a dirth of material otherwise,
"dearth?