PDA

View Full Version : The mysteries of the media unravelled

Glom
2010-Sep-28, 12:49 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2010/sep/24/1

How to write a science article when your qualifications are a degree in media studies.

CJSF
2010-Sep-28, 02:21 PM
That. Is. Brilliant!

CJSF

Fazor
2010-Sep-28, 02:48 PM
That. Is. Brilliant!

CJSF

I concur; the written and scientifically-aimed version of the "how to" video on evening-news journalism. I've passed it on to my friend, the local papers' (yes, more than one paper) night-editor, though he's probably already seen it.

ToSeek
2010-Sep-28, 03:08 PM
Be sure to read the comments as well. Some of them are even better than the article.

publiusr
2010-Sep-28, 08:10 PM
Best article ever.

NEOWatcher
2010-Sep-29, 12:40 PM
There's only one concept missing. "Scientists are baffled" since they haven't actually solved the problem. (or some other "mystery")
But; there's so much that this article addresses, my comment is only a drop in the bucket.

Swift
2010-Sep-29, 08:42 PM
:lol: Spot on brilliant.

novaderrik
2010-Sep-29, 09:07 PM
love the pic. it really tied the whole article together and made it clear that it is indeed a subject that i can relate to and affects me in a very personal way.

mike alexander
2010-Oct-04, 10:58 PM
It will be even harder now to read a popsci article without laughing aloud.
Maybe he could get a Nobel Prize for Literature.

Delvo
2010-Oct-08, 04:55 PM
If the research is about a potential cure, or a solution to a problem, this paragraph will describe how it will raise hopes for a group of sufferers or victims.He forgot to add that if it isn't about treating some medical problem, then the equivalent paragraph will instead claim that this discovery will make some well-known science-fiction TV show or movie come true.