PDA

View Full Version : Pope's astronomer will baptize alien visitors

dwnielsen
2010-Sep-29, 09:49 AM
When the angels come, they'll be saved by the Vatican.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/sep/17/pope-astronomer-baptise-aliens%20

(If discussion follows, follow forum rules, of course..)

Strange
2010-Sep-29, 10:06 AM
You left off the important "if they ask", which could rather change the meaning.

ETA: Although the image of a bunch of cardinals in the robes struggling with a many tentacled alien while the astronomer attemtps to baptise it is quite amusing.

And what if water is poisonous to the aliens? Would it be acceptable to baptise them with ammonia (or whatever)?

Consolmagno said: "Steven Hawking is a brilliant physicist and when it comes to theology I can say he's a brilliant physicist."

Very good.

Buttercup
2010-Sep-29, 10:43 AM
And what if water is poisonous to the aliens? Would it be acceptable to baptise them with ammonia (or whatever)?

Rofl!! :)

Probably we'll never know.

And what if they aliens are pantheists? Hmmmmm.

Strange
2010-Sep-29, 10:47 AM

Well, they might just ask to be baptized anyway, out of politeness. Or to add cultural authenticity to their trip. "oooh, Marjorie, you have to try this thing they call baptism, it's great"

NEOWatcher
2010-Sep-29, 12:51 PM
On the other hand, it might just be "oooh, Marjorie, don't do it. They're stingy on the water".

I see it's clear that he's addressing a theological issue, especially with the mention of the "odds". Unfortunately, the stories that I have heard so far just focus on "the pope wants to baptize aliens".

Strange
2010-Sep-29, 01:33 PM

"Pant heists"? Is that some new urban crime I haven't heard of yet?

Paul Beardsley
2010-Sep-29, 01:36 PM
"Pant heists"? Is that some new urban crime I haven't heard of yet?

And are we talking US English or UK English?

Strange
2010-Sep-29, 02:05 PM
And are we talking US English or UK English?

The UK version would be tougher to pull off.

mike alexander
2010-Sep-29, 02:19 PM
Hey, he started out by reading SF, so he's all right in my book.

His responses struck me as mature, reasoned and with a touch of humor. In fact, it sounded like he would fit in here very well. Someone should invite him.

DonM435
2010-Sep-29, 03:24 PM
"This new boyfriend of yours . . . is he Catholic?"

"Uhhhhmmmmm . . . yeah!"

HenrikOlsen
2010-Sep-29, 03:38 PM
Hey, he started out by reading SF, so he's all right in my book.

His responses struck me as mature, reasoned and with a touch of humor. In fact, it sounded like he would fit in here very well. Someone should invite him.
Definitely more mature than most of the responses in this thread. I'm not sure if he'd like it here.

Gillianren
2010-Sep-29, 04:22 PM
How much do you want to bet this gets added to the next "alien cover-up!" paranoia list?

Strange
2010-Sep-29, 04:24 PM
How much do you want to bet this gets added to the next "alien cover-up!" paranoia list?

And changed into the past tense in the process.

Noclevername
2010-Sep-29, 06:05 PM
"Alien Pope baptises astronomers"

mike alexander
2010-Sep-29, 07:37 PM
"1 in 5 Catholics believe Pope is an Alien."

Swift
2010-Sep-29, 08:30 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if the alien visitors said "Sure, we'll do your 'baptism'. We'd be honored if you returned the favor and underwent the Ceremony of Glishpak. We believe your systems can handle the fluid loss. That way we know you actually had a soul." :D

Paul Beardsley
2010-Sep-29, 08:48 PM
A thought - or rather a word - went through my mind that, if expressed in the context of this particular thread, might fall foul of BAUT rules. So I'd better be circumspect.

SeanF
2010-Sep-29, 09:31 PM
A thought - or rather a word - went through my mind that, if expressed in the context of this particular thread, might fall foul of BAUT rules. So I'd better be circumspect.
The Pope's not Jewish, you know. :)

vonmazur
2010-Sep-30, 05:57 AM
Are you all talking about "Ophidian measuring"?? :)

Dale

Spoons
2010-Sep-30, 06:08 AM

I wonder... despite several offers he's never entered the workplace tipping comp.

dwnielsen
2010-Sep-30, 08:03 AM
You left off the important "if they ask", which could rather change the meaning.

Well, I was assuming the possible unwillingness would be on the side of the Vatican. But, alas, now I love the sensationalism!

The last pope did grow up in a Jewish community..

Paul Beardsley
2010-Sep-30, 08:23 AM

Yes, I think that was mentioned once or twice during my Catholic upbringing. ;) I was just imagining the representatives of a variety of religions turning up at the landing site and competing with each other as they offer to perform wlecoming ceremonies, many of which might be wholly incompatible with the aliens' biology.

Spoons
2010-Sep-30, 08:36 AM
Whoop woop woop woop woop?
Translation: You want to clip my nails?

Woop! woop...
Translation: Oh! Er...

Sticks
2010-Sep-30, 09:18 AM
As this refers to a specific religion, for the moment I am suspending this thread while we discss if this is in breach of the no religion regulation