PDA

View Full Version : A night at the movies.

pzkpfw
2010-Sep-30, 02:04 AM
My whole Family have loved Avatar, the legend of Ang, the last airbender, since it's first run on T.V. a few years back.

We all watched it together, eagerly awaiting the next episode. It was well written, had great characters and interesting stories. Wonderful T.V. and we often watch the repeats.

So on Monday I booked tickets for my Wife and I to see the Movie; the "special 3D release" no less.

Last night we went. My Wife paid for the tickets (using our name to connect to the pre-booking) and glasses and handed them straight to me, I put them in my pocket and we went and ate some dinner at the theatre cafe. (Plenty of time to kill).

Eventutally we settled down for the movie.

The 3D ad was interesting, then the movie started.

It seemed a bit familiar, and then I had to think to myself "what's that spaceship doing there?" ...

SkepticJ
2010-Sep-30, 02:47 AM
You serious?

If so, I'd advise you skip The Last Airbender, which is the live-action adaptation of the cartoon series you enjoyed.

The word avatar is centuries old, coming from the Hindu religion, so it's not exactly subject to copyright.

ABR.
2010-Sep-30, 02:58 AM
Had a similar experience way back when. A friend and I decided to check out the newest Spielberg movie. Bought tickets and watched this perfectly awful movie with these little monster things. Try as we might, we didn't spot the name Spielberg in the credits. On the way out of the theater we saw a movie poster for Goonies. Note: Goonies, not Ghoulies. We learned a valuable lesson that night.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Sep-30, 03:06 AM
You serious?

If so, I'd advise you skip The Last Airbender, which is the live-action adaptation of the cartoon series you enjoyed.

The word avatar is centuries old, coming from the Hindu religion, so it's not exactly subject to copyright.
But it may be subject to trademark and lawsuits.
From what I understand, the movie adaptation of Avatar - The Last Airbender was renamed to The Last Airbender because Cameron threatened to sue if they didn't.

pzkpfw
2010-Sep-30, 03:07 AM
You serious?

Yeah. It's just that having watched the (did I mention excellant?) cartoon for years before seeing the James Cameron thing, which was last year now, and I've seen the cartoon since then, when I saw "Avatar" on the web site "click here to book" page it just didn't occur to me I was messing up.

Not even at the theatre when I saw the poster for "The Last Airbender" and pointed out to my wife that they'd totally avoided using the word "Avatar" on the poster. (At this point, in my mind I'd already booked for the movie I wanted to see, and the title of what I'd booked for just didn't occur.)

You know what they say about assumptions. (Sort of).

I've seen the bad reviews, and my Daughter was aghast at the casting, but I still want to see it.

"Copyright"? I'm just letting everyone have fun at my daft mistake, not complaning about the names of the movies.

... On the way out of the theater we saw a movie poster for Goonies. Note: Goonies, not Ghoulies. We learned a valuable lesson that night.

First time I ever saw people walk out of a movie was at "Little Shop Of Horrors". Two guys who were clearly to cool for school, loudly proclaiming to the theatre "this isn't a (bad word) horror!".

(Though to their credit, I think the advertising for it here was a little unclear on that point.)

Gillianren
2010-Sep-30, 04:02 AM
I would have walked out on The Medallion, but Graham was still in the theatre. He did say, "That was worse than I was expecting!" on the way out, but clearly, he didn't hate it near as much as I did.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Sep-30, 05:07 AM
First time I ever saw people walk out of a movie was at "Little Shop Of Horrors". Two guys who were clearly to cool for school, loudly proclaiming to the theatre "this isn't a (bad word) horror!".

(Though to their credit, I think the advertising for it here was a little unclear on that point.)
Was that the real one or the atrocious remake?

Gillianren
2010-Sep-30, 05:18 AM
Probably the superior musical version.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Sep-30, 05:40 AM
Probably the superior musical version.
You actually prefer the musical version?:eek:

pzkpfw
2010-Sep-30, 05:47 AM
Was that the real one or the atrocious remake?

Remake? I only knew of one movie, and it was based on a play/musical (I thought).

There was lots of singing.

This was in about 1985 (give or take a year).

ABR.
2010-Sep-30, 06:08 AM
Remake? I only knew of one movie, and it was based on a play/musical (I thought).

There was lots of singing.

This was in about 1985 (give or take a year).

There was also this 1960 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054033/)version.

Gillianren
2010-Sep-30, 04:27 PM
You actually prefer the musical version?:eek:

It's watchable without a Mike Nelson commentary track. I'm not a big fan of either.

pzkpfw
2010-Oct-01, 09:10 AM

If so, I'd advise you skip The Last Airbender,

Gosh. You may be right.

My Daughter just came back from it. She said she'd have walked out if she hadn't had to pay $10 to see it.

Someone actually yelled out "boo" at the end.

She said it was awful, I just sat through a 30 minute rant about it. I won't transcribe all the stuff she told me, but I was impressed by her detail and her ability to pick up nuances from the T.V. show - and describe how those nuances were lacking from the movie.

Sounds like accidentally seeing the wrong movie was a blessing in disguise.

Van Rijn
2010-Oct-01, 11:05 PM
I've heard (and read) reviews by people who liked the TV show that hated it, and people who never watched the TV show that hated it. I haven't seen any reviews by people who actually liked the movie (though I'm sure there have to be some).

I was amused by commercials that said it was "In 3D (also 2D)." From reviews, it apparently had some 3D scenes tacked on, but it was something they did late in production. The movie was apparently mostly in 2D and not optimized for the 3D system (among other things a lot of scenes apparently were too dark).

Gillianren
2010-Oct-02, 05:22 AM
From what I've seen, the lighting was pretty lousy even in 2D, the more vexing because of the vivid colours of the cartoon. One more thing the movie seems (I've given it a miss) to have screwed up.