PDA

View Full Version : Can you confirm a test using a laser on a Meade tele extender and Tele Vue Powermate?

cyberx
2010-Oct-04, 08:54 AM
Hi newbe here.

Can someone confirm an experiment I just made on a Meade 2x TeleXtender (tele extender) and a Tele Vue 4x Powermate?

I placed a laser collimator into the barlow and observed a nicely formed laser point exiting the lens. Then I placed the same laser collimator into the Tele Vue 4x Powermate and the laser point was totally elongated revealing almost 3 distinct points in a straight line (fairly close together but most definitely elongated).

Are myTele Vue optics screwed up? Or does everybody get similar results with this experiment?

RickJ
2010-Oct-07, 06:56 AM
A Powermate is very different optically from a barlow so this doesn't seem unexpected to me. If it performs as it is supposed to then it has passed the only important test.

Rick

cyberx
2010-Oct-07, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the reply RickJ.

This is by no means a scientific bench test. But, I was curious. Anyway, the night I first used the 4x Powermate, my eye got really tired (in comparison with my 2X barlow).
It's been a number of days since I got it and the weather has not been cooperative for another viewing.

RickJ
2010-Oct-07, 10:44 PM
It shouldn't tire the eye when used at the same magnification but if used to reach higher powers then again this can happen when the added power magnifies problems in the image or exceeds that allowed by seeing or aperture that night.

Rick