PDA

View Full Version : Educate the children!

Glom
2010-Oct-07, 05:42 PM
Buzz Lightyear landed on the Moon. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8048235/Buzz-Lightyear-was-first-man-to-walk-on-moon-children-believe.html)

When kids learn about space, a bit about exploration wouldn't go amiss.

The stupid bit is that the article says kids think Jack Bauer blew up the Houses of Parliament. But the thing is that Guy Fawkes, whom I assume they are supposed to think, didn't blow up Parliament. His plot was foiled.

mike alexander
2010-Oct-07, 09:38 PM
A penny for the old Jack?

grant hutchison
2010-Oct-07, 10:10 PM
The stupid bit is that the article says kids think Jack Bauer blew up the Houses of Parliament. But the thing is that Guy Fawkes, whom I assume they are supposed to think, didn't blow up Parliament. His plot was foiled.Yeah. Whereas Jack Bauer would've got the job done.

Grant Hutchison

ABR.
2010-Oct-07, 10:14 PM
Wait a second! If Guy Fawkes plotted to blow up Parliament, why did NPR just put him in charge of Weekend Edition? That doesn't seem very security minded.

swampyankee
2010-Oct-07, 11:47 PM
Wait a second! If Guy Fawkes plotted to blow up Parliament, why did NPR just put him in charge of Weekend Edition? That doesn't seem very security minded.

NPR lost an age discrimination law suit. Since Guy Fawkes is 440 years old, the other executives can hire more cute young assistants without reducing the average age of the NPR office staff.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-08, 12:57 AM
The stupid bit is that the article says kids think Jack Bauer blew up the Houses of Parliament. But the thing is that Guy Fawkes, whom I assume they are supposed to think, didn't blow up Parliament. His plot was foiled.
And he wasn't an anarchist trying to overthrow the government as V implied, he was a religious zealot intending to restore Roman Catholic rule in England.

KaiYeves
2010-Oct-08, 01:15 AM
Glom, as a child, I take offense to that title.

Ara Pacis
2010-Oct-08, 06:09 AM
Glom, as a child, I take offense to that title.

We're all children. Didn't you take biology or health in High School?

NEOWatcher
2010-Oct-08, 01:03 PM
Even if I can believe anything coming from the Telegraph, isn't that why there are History classes throughout thier education?

Now if it were adults, that would be a different story.

Strange
2010-Oct-08, 01:27 PM
Surely, this would only be worrying if we knew it was any different from any time in the past. Children interested in popular culture, whatever next.

The research found kids' science and space knowledge isn't tip top either - with 11 per cent thinking Isaac Newton discovered fire and Albert Einstein was Frankenstein's brother.

Anyone think the kids may have been winding him up?

I like the way that Jack Bauer is described as a "Counter Terrorist"; rise of the shop keepers?

But that is indicative of the quality of the whole thing. I worry about our so-called journalists and editors. What sort of example are they setting for The Children?

The survey also found a third did not know Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, with nine cent reckoning it was Deal or No Deal's Noel Edmonds while one in five thought it was Charles Darwin.

But while children were found to be clueless about historical happenings, they faired much better when it came to celebrities and showbiz.

Christopher Lloyd added: ''By picking up a book, exploring the UK and learning a bit more about the history which surrounds different towns and cities, children can become much more clued up.

''We hope our timeline will make it clearer for kids and adults to understand what happened between the Big Bang and the current day.''

grant hutchison
2010-Oct-08, 03:28 PM
Although presumably we need to blame Christopher Lloyd for the use of "which" with a defining clause, since it appears in a quotation attributed to him.

Peter Hamilton set my teeth on edge for the entire Night's Dawn trilogy by doing the same thing. But it's just not common practice to make the distinction between defining that and nondefining which, and I don't believe it ever has been. As Fowler observed long ago: "... it would be idle to pretend that it is the practice either of most or of the best writers."

Grant Hutchison

Swift
2010-Oct-08, 03:31 PM
There is something seriously wrong with my brain, but when I first glanced at the thread title, I thought it said "Euthanise the chicken!". I guess that makes about as much sence. :D

Strange
2010-Oct-08, 03:41 PM
But it's just not common practice to make the distinction between defining that and nondefining which, and I don't believe it ever has been. As Fowler observed long ago: "... it would be idle to pretend that it is the practice either of most or of the best writers."

I think it is one of those things they tried to drill into us at school but it never stuck because it didn't seem important. With the work I do now it is important and I had to learn to get it right. So I feel I have a right to be pedantic about it!

On the other hand, I heard someone complaining that young people don't know the difference between "will" and "shall". Luckily, he explained it because I didn't know. And I still don't care.

Sticks
2010-Oct-08, 07:28 PM
There is an issue with the thread title as it could cause offence, so it has been amended. Please be more careful in future

Jim
2010-Oct-08, 07:33 PM
... when I first glanced at the thread title, I thought it said "Euthanise the chicken!". ...

There is an issue with the thread title as it could cause offence, so it has been amended. ...

Yeah, obviously unfair and upsetting to chickens.

Selenite
2010-Oct-09, 01:22 AM
One in six think Darth Vader's Deathstar from Star Wars is the furthest planet from Earth.

A long time ago in elementary school far, far away they taught us it was Pluto. Now Pluto isn't even classified as a planet anymore, so I'm not sure how this question would be a fair one to ask currently. We don't know if they're speaking of our solar system or planets discovered orbiting other stars.

Besides, when did it become Darth Vader's Death Star? I only ever saw Governor Tarkin or the Emperor barking out all the movement and firing orders. :D

Ara Pacis
2010-Oct-09, 05:52 AM
"That's no planet. It's a space station."

Selenite
2010-Oct-09, 09:59 PM
"That's no planet. It's a space station."

I guess Obi-Wan never encountered Mimas. :D

http://pyxis.homestead.com/Mimas.jpg

SkepticJ
2010-Oct-10, 01:26 AM
What exactly is the news, here?

Kids have all sorts of weird ideas. When you're na´ve, how can your output be anything but?