PDA

View Full Version : Does air pressure increase noticeably in a mine?

Solfe
2010-Oct-13, 01:41 AM
I am watching the Chilean miner rescue and wonder is there a significant difference between the 1/2 mile deep mine and the surface?

Just wondering

Hornblower
2010-Oct-13, 02:14 AM
I am watching the Chilean miner rescue and wonder is there a significant difference between the 1/2 mile deep mine and the surface?

Just wondering

Yes, it would be similar to the difference between sea level and 1/2 mile above sea level. Whether or not you feel it in your ears depends in part on how fast the elevator is moving.

swampyankee
2010-Oct-13, 02:29 AM
It's going to be measurable -- and calculable. Try this standard atmosphere calculator (http://aero.stanford.edu/StdAtm.html) at Stanford' aero department. The pressure will be about 10% greater than at sea level, and the temperature will be about 9oF greater than at sea level

Solfe
2010-Oct-13, 04:05 AM
Neat links. Thanks! The second miner is coming out now.
My wife asked me and it bugged me more than it did her, because by the time I asked the question, she forgot she even asked me. :)

ravens_cry
2010-Oct-13, 05:35 AM
In a related question, how deep a hole would be needed on Mars so that you don't need a pressure suit? I realize, of course, you would still need oxygen.