PDA

View Full Version : Geranium in gistress!

Glom
2010-Oct-13, 06:37 PM
A friend gave me her geraniums to keep when she moved. I think they're dying!

I'm keeping the pots moist.

The leaves keep drying up and I have to amputate. I was told to keep pinching out the tips and dead heading the flowers. What actually does that mean?

This isn't nearly as easy as the umbrella tree, which continues to grow and maybe so get the urge to exterminate.

Trebuchet
2010-Oct-14, 01:48 AM
You may be keeping the pots a little TOO moist.

Ivan Viehoff
2010-Oct-14, 07:56 AM
Are they geraniums, or "geraniums", ie pelargoniums? More likely the latter, if they are in a pot.

Pelargoniums are mainly grown as annuals in this country, and unless you take some special care to over-winter them, they die about now.
This will tell you all about it. http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=338

If what you have really is a geranium, then you need to find out in more detail what you have got.

Agemegos
2010-Oct-14, 08:18 AM
Pelargoniums (the plants usually cultivated as "geraniums") are drought-hardy plants native to areas with a "mediterranean" climate. They tolerate their soil being allowed to dry out between waterings better than they they tolerate being kept moist all the time. They also prefer plenty of light.

Around here they do fine outside all year round, though they stop growing in what we laughingly call "winter". I understand that in damp and gloomy Blighty they have to be looked after quite carefully through winter. Remove dead flowers and leaves, and put the pots somewhere that is sunny and protected from frost, and where they won't be continuously wet. As the weather cools off the plants will go dormant, and then you can prune them so that their spring growth will be compact.
Shelter from frost
Do not keep the soil moist, let it dry out between waterings
Keep them in plenty of light.

Or, if you don't have a greenhouse, or a sunny but covered window-box, or a south-facing wall with overhanging eaves, pull them out and buy new ones in Spring.

Postscript http://www.suite101.com/content/caring-for-scented-geraniums-a219819

Glom
2010-Oct-14, 07:41 PM
I moved the pots outside. In the clear daylight, I could see that the soil was pretty damp actually so that's probably a mistake there. I'll ease up on the watering.

Ivan Viehoff
2010-Oct-14, 08:36 PM
You need to decide whether you are going to try and overwinter these, or not. Unless they are some special ones you or your friend want to overwinter, then don't bother. The run-of-the-mill ones are a cheap disposable plant replaced each year.

If you aren't going to overwinter them, why not put them outside, as you have? But be aware they will only last a few weeks, or maybe only until next week (cold weather threatened next week), because they'll be dead as soon as a proper frost gets them.

If you are going to overwinter them, then you need to have a suitable frost free interior location to keep them, such as a heated greenhouse, or a bright windowsill you don't mind cluttering with what looks like a row of stumps for several months, and read the instructions we pointed you to.

trinitree88
2010-Oct-18, 06:28 PM
Geraniums like a big temperature swing....say 78 days to 40 F at night. Keeping them too warm will dull their vigor too. The watering muses are right on. In a greenhouse they are given only enough water in the spring to last till the midafternoon, having them dry thru the evening hours. Having "wet feet" will encourage a host of problems. They won't set new flower buds unless the evening temps reach the mid fifties, which is why they go semi-dormant in hot New England summers inland but do pretty well in the cooler maritime climates of the coast. After being reinvigorated by late fall temps, they miss the long daylight days of summer, and typically finish blooming around Christmas on slow developing buds. As the long winter nights creep in, water even less with no food between Dec 10 and January 30.In Feb. take cuttings with one leaf and part of a stem known as "hammer cuttings" ...dip in Rootone, press in potting soil, keep barely damp for a few weeks and you'll be buried with plants as about 98% will root
Commercial growers will disbud them while developing by using hormonol sprays, so that they root stronger while small, but a home grower can remove the buds by hand for about six weeks. Eventually, in Florida they grow to the size of Rhododendrons in about 20 years. pete

Glom
2012-Feb-10, 12:07 PM
One of the four died a year ago, but the remaining three pulled through and are remainjng strong. One is getting quite big now. I may need to repot it. I have a spare pot from when I moved the umbrella tree as i mentioned in the other thread, but I'm still observing how that plant copes before subjecting this more delicate plant to that.

Also, one of the plants is growing sideways which is weird.

The pots are getting a bit mossy. I have no idea if that's good or bad.

dgavin
2012-Feb-11, 05:31 AM
It's probably needing more light, Geraniums like a lot of indirect semi-cloudy type sunlight. When a plant grows towards a window, but looks healthy otherwise, it probably just needs more light through out the day.

They also don'tt normally grow tall like that, which also indicates it's 'streatching out' for sunlight.

You might think about putting them outside in a flower bed:)

dgavin
2012-Feb-11, 05:36 AM
Oh also, you might look up on the net on how to prune them for indoor growth, some plants need to be regualy pruned when grown indoors, and geraniums might be one of those.

Van Rijn
2012-Feb-11, 06:11 AM
Rotating the pot regularly would be helpful if you don't like the "reaching for sunlight" look.

profloater
2012-Feb-11, 10:58 AM
a long time ago I grew Geraniums upside down in wine bottles through a hole knocked in the bottom, they seem to like it tough and flower more if restricted as do many plants, its a reaction to stress. Not too much water and plenty of light I suspect they need some blue light and uv which latter the glass stops, to encourage flowering.

trinitree88
2012-Feb-13, 07:28 PM
One of the four died a year ago, but the remaining three pulled through and are remainjng strong. One is getting quite big now. I may need to repot it. I have a spare pot from when I moved the umbrella tree as i mentioned in the other thread, but I'm still observing how that plant copes before subjecting this more delicate plant to that.

Also, one of the plants is growing sideways which is weird.

The pots are getting a bit mossy. I have no idea if that's good or bad.

Glom. So you're now growing estate geraniums...old plants. Spray them with Messenger, a harpin protein solution that encourages reproductive behavior (flowering in pelargoniums, and fruiting in commercial crops )...they'll bloom more. pete

SEE:http://cooperseeds.com/catalog/messenger-delivering-stronger,-healthier-plants...naturally-p2174.html

The original producer of Messenger has been bought out....the product is still available and in the same packaging. pete (no, I don't own stock or get a kickback...it's one of the best garden center products I've ever sold....customers rave over it's effectiveness.

Glom
2012-Feb-13, 09:02 PM
They're on the window sill so they can't get much more light. They're also above the radiator so they'll have the more extreme variation of hot and cold. I don't water too often. The big one is already turning towards the sky now that I've straightened it up.