PDA

View Full Version : Flight Simulator "Cockpit"

PetersCreek
2010-Oct-15, 07:14 AM
My flight simulator "cockpit" continues to take shape. I've been flying with a yoke, throttle quadrant, and rudder pedals and I received two new panels in the mail a couple of days ago: a switch panel (with gear lever) and a multifunction panel with autopilot, flaps, and pitch trim wheel controls. Next I think, will be a radio stack and a second throttle quadrant.

http://www.bautforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13799&d=1287126356

Don't mind the nearly empty container of grapes. They were the in-flight meal.

Any other sim pilots in the house?

Jens
2010-Oct-15, 08:34 AM
When are you going to get the wings, engines, and landing gear? :)

Trebuchet
2010-Oct-15, 03:41 PM
Very cool, Brett! I'm not a pilot, either sim or real, but I spent a long enough time working on the design of real flight decks that I find this fascinating. I hope you don't mind a few questions.

1. Are you trying to simulate any particular airplane type?
2. It's hard to see the throttle quadrant, but it looks like it might separate throttle (blue?) and pitch (red?) knobs, simulating a turboprop. Is that right? Is there a third (black) knob that I'm having trouble seeing? Why a second quadrant?
3. What's the knob between the pedals?
4. Quite a lot of buttons and stuff on the yoke. Which, in Boeing parlance, is a "control wheel". Note that in Boeing designs, all the buttons and switches are on the outboard horn of the wheel, since the inboard hand may be doing throttles. That would appear to put your throttles on the wrong side since most of the buttons are on the right side of the yoke.

By the way, I'm still a 747 guy at heart. Real airplanes have four engines!

Solfe
2010-Oct-15, 04:19 PM
That is amazing! What software is that?

LotusExcelle
2010-Oct-15, 04:24 PM
I do have to say I'm jealous. I'm still trying to program my X52 joystick... and you have panels and pedals.

schlaugh
2010-Oct-15, 04:58 PM

Looks like good old Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Wish I could find something suitable for the PS3 instead of POV war games. Those are fine but aren't really meant to provide a flight sim environment.

Nice setup. Jens beat me to the punchline. :)

Solfe
2010-Oct-15, 05:01 PM
I keep an old PC in the basement simply because it has Microsoft Flight Simulator for Windows 98 on it. One of these days I am going to see if I can get my old quadra running again so I can see MS flight Simulator in glorious black and white. I have it on a single 400 k floppy. :)

NEOWatcher
2010-Oct-15, 05:29 PM
Living in Alaska, a jet plane might be good so that it can double as a furnace.

PetersCreek
2010-Oct-15, 05:42 PM

As soon as someone pays me to pursue my true calling in life: Man of Leisure.

Very cool, Brett! I'm not a pilot, either sim or real, but I spent a long enough time working on the design of real flight decks that I find this fascinating. I hope you don't mind a few questions.

1. Are you trying to simulate any particular airplane type?

Not particularly. Not yet anyway. The panels are very loose approximations of small GA aircraft for the most part. The throttle quad doesn't even come close to a C172, although Saitek has just released just that sort of throttle panel...which just might be a future purchase. Right now, I can't settle on any one cockpit because I like flying too many different types of aircraft: C172, C208, Baron, Beaver, Twin Otter, etc.

2. It's hard to see the throttle quadrant, but it looks like it might separate throttle (blue?) and pitch (red?) knobs, simulating a turboprop. Is that right? Is there a third (black) knob that I'm having trouble seeing? Why a second quadrant?

The default settings for the quad controls are set up for (L-R) throttle (black), prop pitch (blue), and mixture (red). When I'm flying twins, I reassign the prop lever as throttle 2. With a second throttle quad, I can gang them, switch the lever knobs around (TTPPMM), and have twin controls. I could also reassign them for heavies.

3. What's the knob between the pedals?

Tension adjustment.

By the way, I'm still a 747 guy at heart. Real airplanes have four engines!

They're nice to be sure but I'm a bush pilot wannabe at heart, I guess. Up here, real airplanes take off and land on gravel, water, tundra, snow, or ice...often with moose or caribou racks and other things strapped to them. :cool:

As others have mentioned, it's MS Flight Simulator X.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Oct-15, 06:13 PM
Now what you need is to build a small room with hydraulics connected.

schlaugh
2010-Oct-15, 06:22 PM
Or maybe this: :)

http://techepics.com/files/flight_07.jpg

PetersCreek
2010-Oct-15, 06:23 PM
Now what you need is to build a small room with hydraulics connected.

Heh...a coworker suggested that to me the other day. Practicality and space restrictions aside, that actually is doable. Saitek also makes multifunction flight instruments (http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/fip.html) that, among other things, displays aircraft attitude. The same data stream that feeds those could be used to provide attitude information to a motion system. All one needs is the right I/O card (available on "simpit" websites) and money...lots and lots of money.

danscope
2010-Oct-15, 10:03 PM
Hi Brett, I use a wingman stick. One of my favourites is " Air Warrior 2 " . Flying the Wildcat and carrier landings are exciting.
I have several other programs, one of which plugs in local scenery and has a Bonanza as well as several other types to enjoy.
I wish they had an Otter or Beaver and Prince William Sound ! :)
Fly well and prosper.
Dan

Salty
2010-Oct-16, 02:26 AM
My flight simulator "cockpit" continues to take shape. I've been flying with a yoke, throttle quadrant, and rudder pedals and I received two new panels in the mail a couple of days ago: a switch panel (with gear lever) and a multifunction panel with autopilot, flaps, and pitch trim wheel controls. Next I think, will be a radio stack and a second throttle quadrant.

http://www.bautforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13799&d=1287126356

Don't mind the nearly empty container of grapes. They were the in-flight meal.

Any other sim pilots in the house?

When I was in the 'Corps, back in the early '60's, I flew the blazes out of a Link 2F23 Ground Instrument Simulator. That's what I gave pilots their instrument hours, on.
Never thought of making a little simulator like yours at home. I have no multi-engine experience, so if I made a home bound simulator, it would have just the one throttle.

So, you simulator, it's computerized, right?

PetersCreek
2010-Dec-28, 07:46 AM
Since posting the OP, I did indeed add the radio stack so dialing in switching between com and VOR frequencies is much easier.

Additionally, a Christmas gift from my dear wife has really stepped up the realism: the TrackIR 5 system (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/trackir5/). A small camera-like device mounted atop my monitor tracks the position of three reference points mounted on a hat or headset to determine my head's angle and position in three axes. The result is, I can look left, right, up, or down within the simulation; move my head forward or backward to zoom in or out; or sit up taller in my seat to look over the glare shield. The movements are scaled so a comparatively small head movement results in a larger movement on screen so I can, say, turn my head to look off my left wing without taking my eyes off the monitor.

I just finished "flying" into Kenai and this thing makes a huge difference in the experience.

So, you simulator, it's computerized, right?

Sorry I missed you question until now, Salty. Yes, all these gadgets interface with Microsoft Flight Simulator (http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulatorx/).

Swift
2010-Dec-28, 02:10 PM
How about a little fan on the side, so you can pretend to slide the window open a little and feel the breeze? :D

I think you win for the boys' toys contest.

PetersCreek
2010-Dec-28, 04:12 PM
I think you win for the boys' toys contest.

I haven't won yet. Remember, he who dies with the most toys... :lol:

Moose
2010-Dec-28, 04:29 PM
I haven't won yet. Remember, he who dies with the most toys... :lol:

... is still dead. Bragging rights are about today. (And maybe tomorrow, while we play catch-up.)

Glom
2010-Dec-29, 03:38 PM
I was so disappointed with FSX. Only a marginal improvement in graphics for no actual gain in playability. And the G-1000 simulation was zero help in letting me practice with the G-1000. In fact it was worse because with such limited functionality, there were so many basic cockpit features you couldn't have. Waste of 50. FS9 would have done just fine and would have run better.

PetersCreek
2014-Mar-06, 08:00 AM
Another bit of necroposting for an update on my flight simulator adventures now that the new computer is up and running.

http://www.brettluna.com/img/s5/v125/p632202075-2.jpg (http://www.brettluna.com/img/s5/v125/p632202075-5.jpg)

This snapshot now shows the radio stack mentioned (but not pictured) up-thread plus a new addition. I've replaced the 3-lever throttle quadrant with Saitek's TPM (Throttle/Prop/Mixture) controller to more closely simulate the controls typically found in general aviation aircraft like the Cessna 185. It's the bottom component pictured, with the black, blue, and red knobs:

http://www.brettluna.com/img/s5/v121/p899354618-2.jpg (http://www.brettluna.com/img/s5/v121/p899354618-5.jpg)

With the new PC, I've also moved to another flight simulator program, X-Plane 10. I like the flight model and graphics and although it's got some way to go in the area of third party support, it's growing. There's also an enthusiastic amateur development community and some of them are putting out some quality freeware: aircraft, scenery, and plugins.

Trebuchet
2014-Mar-06, 03:55 PM
This will sound like a silly question, but there's a reason for it. Really!

What word do you use to refer to the sort-of W-shaped thing in the middle that you rotate for roll and move forward and back for pitch?

PetersCreek
2014-Mar-06, 03:57 PM
I say, it's a yoke son. It's a yoke. </Foghorn Leghorn>

Swift
2014-Mar-06, 04:05 PM
And if your desk was made of the wood "yew", would you say "the yoke's on yew". :rimshot:

PetersCreek
2014-Mar-06, 04:10 PM
Bubinga! (http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/bubinga/) </Sheldon>

Trebuchet
2014-Mar-06, 04:54 PM

That's what I expected. At the Really Big Airplane Company where I used to work, it's a "wheel", or sometimes "control wheel". Even though it looks pretty much like your "yoke".

Embraer uses one that looks like it belongs on a chopped Harley. No way you'd ever call that a wheel!