PDA

View Full Version : Regarding my Signature

a1call
2010-Oct-20, 02:57 PM
Hi all,
I suspect that my board signature has struck a chord with many bauters here. Not the part about physics, but the part about a man being equally hungry and thirsty which starves to death not being able to decide which deficiency to satisfy 1st. This tale is a description of my struggle since a very young age. It manifests itself in different ways but mainly it boils down to this:
How do you prioritize tasks and projects. It is very easy to do something exceedingly well as long as you devote all your time to it. I suppose the greatest achievers such as biggest names in science have done just that. But there must have been a price that they have paid. Devoting part, most, or all of one's life to a cause means that you will end up having to neglect some other causes (projects/tasks). Here is where the Aristotle's tale comes in.
*- How do you strike a balance between tasks that require more time than you can afford to spend and mundane to-dos that must be done?

Buttercup
2010-Oct-20, 03:14 PM
No problem.

And I'll tell you in the next life, when we're both cats. :)

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-20, 03:18 PM
This reminds me of an old joke: "I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure about that anymore."

Balance? Sometimes you just have to decide not to have a perfect balance. If you want certain things done, some other things are going to be neglected. That's just the way it is. One has to live with that. One has to decide what one really wants and accept the fact that one won't have some of the other things.

To paraphrase Aristotle: somebody who wants everything will end up with nothing.

There's nothing worse than people who whine about all the things they never had, especially if they had the chance to have them, but decided on something else instead. I run my own business and subsequently haven't had more than three days off in a row since 1997. So what? That's the cost. If I want the business, that's what I have to do. If somebody wants to be their own boss but isn't willing to invest the time that's necessary for that, then they really don't want it and should shut the heck up and not whine about how they always wanted to have their own business.

There's also an old saying: "if you want to have something done, give it to a busy person." There are people who get things done and people who don't.

a1call
2010-Oct-20, 03:29 PM
There's also an old saying: "if you want to have something done, give it to a busy person." There are people who get things done and people who don't.
The former are generally women, aren't they?:think:

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-20, 04:47 PM
I run my own business and subsequently haven't had more than three days off in a row since 1997. So what? That's the cost. If I want the business, that's what I have to do. If somebody wants to be their own boss but isn't willing to invest the time that's necessary for that, then they really don't want it and should shut the heck up and not whine about how they always wanted to have their own business.
I also run my own business, but started from a slightly different place, so I work 8 days a month. That involves staying ahead of the cutting edge of changing technology and being willing and able to learn all the time in a "Oh, by the way, we want to connect all our clusters together with InfiniBand, are there security implications of that and what can we do about them?", "well, here's 1200 2561 pages of specifications, I'd better get reading so I'll know what I'm talking about before the meeting in two days" kind of way.

As for the OP, willing delay of gratification is the solution for the problem in the OP, chose to go without food in order to drink, then eat. Problem solved. It's a survival skill, better learn it.

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-20, 08:55 PM
The former are generally women, aren't they?:think:
As far as industrious people are concerned, I've never noticed any kind of gender correlation.

a1call
2010-Oct-20, 09:11 PM
As far as industrious people are concerned, I've never noticed any kind of gender correlation.

Well there is this stereotype about men being lazy and not wanting to do chores around the house (a common theme in beer commercials) and skipping dues to play golf.
Perhaps there is something to all that.

NickW
2010-Oct-20, 09:32 PM
Well there is this stereotype about men being lazy....
Got me on that one.

...and not wanting to do chores around the house
Got me on that one, too. Of course, my wife never lets me get away with it....

...and skipping dues to play golf.
Wow, 3 for 3. I now fit that stereotype. Its even better because its a beer commercial and I do love my beer!

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-20, 10:06 PM
Well there is this stereotype about men being lazy and not wanting to do chores around the house (a common theme in beer commercials) and skipping dues to play golf.
Perhaps there is something to all that.
Perhaps, but my answer didn't address lazy bums who skip off to play golf and guzzle beer. There are also stereotypes about alcoholic bridge-playing housewives who let the TV raise their kids.

My answer addressed industrious people. And as far as they are concerned, I've never noticed any kind of gender correlation.

jokergirl
2010-Oct-25, 01:47 PM
I'll just stay silent and remain a philosopher.
(oops, that's my old signature line. See, told you half of what I wrote was meaningless.)

But people have called me a fool for winking.

;)