PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Bill Thompsons

William Thompson
2010-Oct-22, 05:43 AM
There is some guy named Bill Thompson running for Mayor of New York.
There was the voice guy for Disney named Bill Thompson. He did the drunk duck uncle in the Aristo Cats.
There is a conservative radio personality in the UK named Bill Thompson.

Trebuchet
2010-Oct-22, 04:49 PM
I once worked with a guy named Bob Smith. There were about 40 of him in the company directory. (A large company, of course.) Including about six with the same middle initial.

My name is just a bit less common. There were about 12 of me in the company, going up to twenty if you included alternate spellings of the last name. Fortunately I didn't share my middle initial with any of them.

JohnD
2010-Oct-22, 05:01 PM
Willaim,
can we assume it's not you?

The US census for 1990 recorded William as the 5th commonest fist name (2.45%!)
And Thompson as the 17th commonest surname (0.27%)
http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/names_files.html
So there need be no surprize that you have namesakes!

I'm a John. In any room with more than half dozen people there, if someone comes in and says, "John?", I'll bet at least two heads go up.

JOhn

DonM435
2010-Oct-22, 05:34 PM
There was a Big Bill Thompson, Mayor of Chicago in the 1920s and 1930s. He threatened to punch King George of Great Britain "in the snoot" if he got the chance -- probably an appeal for the Irish-American vote.

Donnie B.
2010-Oct-22, 06:21 PM
The US census for 1990 recorded William as the 5th commonest fist name (2.45%!)

Is that the kind of name you get tattooed on your knuckles? B - I - L - L on one hand, and M - A - M - A on the other, maybe?

grapes
2010-Oct-22, 07:42 PM
Maybe I-A-R-D on the other

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-22, 08:26 PM
There was the voice guy for Disney named Bill Thompson. He did the drunk duck uncle in the Aristo Cats.
So, what's your point?

ToSeek
2010-Oct-22, 08:48 PM
So, what's your point?

Another member here thought this Bill Thompson might be another Bill Thompson who's persona non grata here and a number of other forums.

novaderrik
2010-Oct-23, 05:22 AM
a couple of years ago, i googled my full name and got 2 hits. neither of which was me.

now i get several thousand hits, a few of which are me.

tusenfem
2010-Oct-23, 03:24 PM

Apparently you think it is okay to take out moderator comments out of your messages.
I took out a link to a youtube video that I though was inappropriate and put in a note in your message in red.
Do not EVER do this again, or you can say byebye to BAUT.

novaderrik
2010-Oct-23, 04:59 PM
Apparently you think it is okay to take out moderator comments out of your messages.
I took out a link to a youtube video that I though was inappropriate and put in a note in your message in red.
Do not EVER do this again, or you can say byebye to BAUT.

wouldn't this be something that would have been better said in a PM? i was going to send you a PM to say this, but since you made it a point to post publicly, i figured it was cool for me to do, as well.
and really, what's the big deal?

PetersCreek
2010-Oct-23, 05:13 PM
If you have a problem with a moderator's action, use PM or the report button.

tusenfem
2010-Oct-23, 05:52 PM
To novaderrik and everybody else:

I decided to put the comment in the thread, because warnings often get put into the thread and I found it also important that people know that the OP was changed retro-actively and that it is not okay to delete moderator messages when they get put into the message itself.

JohnD
2010-Oct-23, 10:25 PM
That's strange - the OP says, "Last edited by William Thompson; Yesterday at 05:34 PM. Reason: Removed Reference to Link."
If tusenfem took it out, shoudn't that be there rather than WT did it - or was that tusenfem's problem?

Oh, and before anyone accuses me of disputing mods, etc, this is a board anomaly, OK?

Tobin Dax
2010-Oct-23, 11:04 PM
If tusenfem took it out, shoudn't that be there rather than WT did it - or was that tusenfem's problem?

I suspect it's the latter. The OP's edit was made after the moderation, so it is the last edit to the post.

PetersCreek
2010-Oct-23, 11:23 PM
Back to the topic, please.

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-23, 11:38 PM
Back to the topic, please.
And what would that be?

240 people on Facebook are named Sara Brothers. Just imagine!

novaderrik
2010-Oct-24, 05:20 AM
To novaderrik and everybody else:

I decided to put the comment in the thread, because warnings often get put into the thread and I found it also important that people know that the OP was changed retro-actively and that it is not okay to delete moderator messages when they get put into the message itself.

yay.. i got noticed.. i now exist..

Strange
2010-Oct-24, 01:39 PM

出る杭は打たれる。

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-24, 07:03 PM
cognoscar ergo sum

A new twist on Descartes.

PetersCreek
2010-Oct-24, 10:13 PM
Topic drift and asides are normal and expected in Off-Topic Babbling but this is a complete derail with discussion about/around moderator action. Thread closed. If anyone wishes to resume the OP topic, report this post.