PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed, what to get?

thevez2
2010-Oct-22, 06:08 PM
OK, my dream scope right now is an Orion 8" Dobsonian.

But I just discovered I have the ability to use my frequent flyer miles to get a Celestron Telescope or Binoculars for free.

Right now I can get a Celestron AstroMaster 76mm scope or I can get a Celestron Miscoscope and Binoculars (Celestron Handheld Digital Microscope {handy for my other hobbies} and a Celestron Sky Master 25 X 70 Binocular). Right now I have a pair of Orion Scenix 10 X 50 binoculars. My ultimate goal is to have something to look at galaxies and nebulas. Which would be the better way to go?

If I can build my frequent flyer account enough by the end of the year, I might be able to get the Celestron Astro Master 114mm EQ or the 130mm EQ. If possible I would definitely get one of those instead. What can you tell me about all of my choices and what I could see with them?

RickJ
2010-Oct-23, 02:01 AM
Save for the Dob. Good 10x50 binoculars would be fine if offered and even if not is a great place to start along with a simple star catalog and book on binocular astronomy. A year with that then you'll find the move to the Dob easy and enjoyable.

Rick

danscope
2010-Oct-23, 03:48 AM
What Rick said.

Kaptain K
2010-Oct-23, 02:25 PM
Agreed!

thevez2
2010-Oct-25, 11:21 AM
So I should just let the opportunity to get a free telescope go by?

AstroRockHunter
2010-Oct-25, 09:13 PM
So I should just let the opportunity to get a free telescope go by?

In a word, yes.
Just remember, the most expensive telescope that you could ever but would be the one you never use, even if it's free.

I'm not sure how much observing experience you have, I'm assuming that it is very little. If I am wrong, please excuse me and accept my apologies.

Get the 10x50 binoculars, a good planisphere and a book like Terrence Dickinson's "Night Watch" and learn the night sky. Become friends with it and when you finally do get your telescope, you'll have a WHOLE lot more fun.