PDA

View Full Version : How do you usually listen to your CDs?

LaurelHS
2010-Oct-22, 11:16 PM
Do you listen to the songs in their original order, set it on shuffle, or choose your own order for the songs?

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-22, 11:23 PM
In the original order.

But since I listen almost exclusively to so-called classical music, any other order would defeat part of the purpose.

cjl
2010-Oct-22, 11:45 PM
Original order, for the most part.

slang
2010-Oct-22, 11:50 PM
Generally, original order. That's how the artist intended it, that's how I'll listen to it. I might skip some songs, or in cases where I only like one or a few songs I might just select those. Usually I'd have the CD ripped to mp3 though, making it much easier to pick whatever I care to listen to.

Related question: speakers or headset? I find that I enjoy it most when I listen through a headset.

hawaii50girl
2010-Oct-23, 01:33 AM
Original order but if it is a song that I don't like than I will skip it.

Solfe
2010-Oct-23, 01:39 AM
I like the original order, but I came a cross an odd issue. I imported "Dark Side of the Moon" into iTunes several years and three computers ago. Having been through two different Macs, a linux machine and finally landing on Vista machine, the computer refuses to acknowledge which track was one, 2, 3 4, etc.

I got annoyed and deleted and reimported the CD. I wonder if future generations will have a concept of song order?

Swift
2010-Oct-23, 01:48 AM
Original order, sometimes skipping songs, sometimes not.

Nick Theodorakis
2010-Oct-23, 02:15 AM
Original order but if it is a song that I don't like than I will skip it.

Me, too, although I don't skip very often. Except for the "White Album."

I only shuffle the playlist I keep on the PC for Media Player, because it's too long to listen to and I would never hear the songs near the end (or even more than a quarter way down.). It's basically a list of all the songs I like from albums I ripped -- sort of a Nick's radio station -- "all the music you like, all the time!"

Nick

Gillianren
2010-Oct-23, 02:46 AM
If I am listening to an album, I usually listen to it as-is. There's a shuffle feature on everything in the house which will play a CD, but I seldom use it. On music from my computer, I'll shuffle as likely as not, given that I'm picking and choosing from various sources anyway.

danscope
2010-Oct-23, 03:42 AM
Most of the CD's I listen to are fine as they come. A few have a tune or two that I can leave out so I often burn the CD as a compilation, inserting better songs from an other album. My copy of "Majical Mystery Tour " get's the 'original' cut of strawberry fields , for instance.
Found on the 'Rarities' albumn. Music builds character.
Best regards,
Dan

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-23, 07:48 AM
When listening to music I just have about a week's worth of mp3's on shuffle, I very seldom listen for anything other than organizing the background noise so it's less distracting

Paul Beardsley
2010-Oct-23, 09:04 AM
I almost never shuffle. I often skip tracks, especially if I am going on a short car journey, so that I can listen to the standout tracks.

On longer car journeys, I generally listen to the CD from the beginning, which means I tend to become very familiar with the first few tracks, and possibly never get around to the last few.

Buttercup
2010-Oct-23, 11:19 AM
I'm very picky about music and skip around a lot. There are only a very few bands and/or movie soundtracks (the latter of which I seldom buy) which have consistently good songs for me to listen through the entire "album." Used to drive my sister nuts in the car, what with turning the radio dial frequently.

Jens
2010-Oct-23, 11:29 AM
I imported "Dark Side of the Moon" into iTunes several years and three computers ago. Having been through two different Macs, a linux machine and finally landing on Vista machine, the computer refuses to acknowledge which track was one, 2, 3 4, etc.

With that album it doesn't matter, because actually it's all dark.

LaurelHS
2010-Oct-23, 03:55 PM
I might skip some songs, or in cases where I only like one or a few songs I might just select those.
I do that a lot of the time too. I also often listen to songs more than once in a row or if there's a particular part of a song I really like, I might rewind that (such as Clarence Clemons' solo in Born To Run).

danscope
2010-Oct-23, 05:25 PM
As a musician, It is really handy to put a song on repeat and play along with it, lyrics and all. CD's are good tools. :)

Moose
2010-Oct-23, 05:42 PM
Typically, on my car's MP3 player/FM transmitter, on shuffle, unless I'm on a long trip*, in which case, I'll let it play in stored-order.

* The reason for this is that it's a cheap device, and the randomizer is awful. 500+ songs to choose from, and it seems to have a preferred top-30 list that wouldn't match my own, had I wanted one.

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-23, 08:01 PM
Just for the fun of it, I could put Madame Butterfly on shuffle and go crazy trying to follow the puzzle.

danscope
2010-Oct-24, 12:26 AM
Say, just for my own information, Who does the Best 'Madame Butterfly' ? ? Thank you,
Dan

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-24, 12:40 AM
There is no best. A few do it very, very well, but they're all different, not better or best.

I just wish Callas had had the opportunity to sing with better recording equipment.

Besides Callas, my personal favorite is the Freni/Pavarotti/Karajan recording, but I'm often positively surprised when I hear other recordings. The best performance I ever saw was in Paris, but there were no big stars in the cast. Big stars aren't necessary. There's pleanty of wonderful talent around.

Oh, if you listen to some excerpts on YouTube and read the comments, you'll discover that comments including extreme opinions, threats, obscene language, and utter stupidity are not limited to kiddy, sports, or woo videos.

danscope
2010-Oct-24, 12:52 AM
Thank You, and I believe well said. And really, when it's live with you there, it is great.

Best regards,
Dan

Parrothead
2010-Oct-26, 06:18 PM
When I first bought my cd player (Pioneer PDM 410) I used to use shuffle play most of the time. The motor burned out about a month after the extended warranty ended. Paid to have it replaced, no problems in the following 20 years, but most of the time now, I'll usually just fill the cartridge and hit play, rarely using the shuffle feature.