PDA

View Full Version : MER press conference - April 14, 2004

ToSeek
2004-Apr-14, 05:56 PM
What are the rovers up to? Have they made any more discoveries? When are they going to get a move on and head for the hills (Spirit)/crater (Opportunity)? Are there any more attractive and eligible young ladies working on this project? Stay tuned for the answers!

ToSeek
2004-Apr-14, 05:57 PM
Okay, I've connected to NASA TV, so that's good. (It took me ten minutes to get to this point last week.)

ToSeek
2004-Apr-14, 06:05 PM
Dramatis personae:

Jan Chodas - flight software (FSW) manager
Jason Soderblom - science team member from Cornell
Christian Schroeder - science team member from Germany
Benton Clark - science team member, Lockheed Martin
Deanne Rogers - science team member, Arizona State

Jan: Spirit transitioned to new FSW on Sol 98, back to normal science on Sol 99, FSW working flawlessly. Continue drive today (sol 100), plan to break Spirit's record for a one-day distance.

Opportunity: digging a trench at Anatolia. Switched to new FSW 10 hours ago, successfully. Plan to reach Endurance crater around Sol 90.

FSW changes (think this has been covered):
- deep sleep mode to deal with problem with Opportunity heater stuck on
- navigation improvements
- changes to prevent problems like what happened with Spirit in January

ToSeek
2004-Apr-14, 06:10 PM
Jason:

24,000 images total from rovers. Showing deluxe color Opportunity panorama of original crater - Opportunity's history in one image: lander, outcrop, soil investigations, attempted exit, successful exit, Bounce rock.

Bounce rock different from any other rock seen by Opportunity. At least three different types of materials: light and dark soil, granules, powdered/solid rock. Lots of ferric oxides (I think that's what we layfolks would call rust). Less in the powdered and solid rock.

ToSeek
2004-Apr-14, 06:14 PM
Christian: Mossbauer spectra. Bounce rock has no hematite. Bounce rock spectrum has two peaks and almost no other features. Think it did not originate at Meridiani. Matches Shergotty meteorite, believed to have originated on Mars - this provides support for that belief.

pumpkinpie
2004-Apr-14, 06:15 PM
Ok, you gentlemen are always commenting on the beautiful women who show up on these press conferences. Now let me just say one thing--Christian Schroeder's a cutie! :) Picked a great shirt that complimented his nice blue eyes.....
Reminds me of a quote from my undergrad days, being the lone woman in a summer REU physics program. "The odds are good but the goods are odd." Not always, though!
Ok, back to Mars discussion.....

ToSeek
2004-Apr-14, 06:19 PM
Ben: APXS results. Routinely analyzing 16 different elements in the various rocks. Diagram showing magnesium oxide/iron oxide ratio. Bounce rock matches "mystery rock". MPF very different, Shergotty somewhat different, Adirondack and Humphrey close to each other but far off from Bounce. Matches meteorite 79001-B, found in Antarctica. (Meteorite was in two parts, but 79001-A doesn't match.)

Another graph: Aluminum/calcium ratios also close for Bounce, 79001-B.

EFossa
2004-Apr-14, 06:24 PM
Endurance Crater by Sol 90? OMG thats only 11 sols away :o :o :o

ToSeek
2004-Apr-14, 06:26 PM
Deanne: mini-TES results.

Lot of pyroxene (69%) in Bounce rock, plus plagioclase (20%) and olivine (11%).

More pyroxene than default basalts, like what Spirit has been finding at Gusev and appears to be common around the planet - basalts have lots of plagioclase.

Again, rock is lacking in hematite. Not native to Meridiani. So where did it come from?

Crater south of Opportunity landing ellipse about 25 km in diameter, think that Bounce rock might have been ejected from crater. Is definitely within range - can see rays from crater going farther than rover is distant now.

Question time.

ToSeek
2004-Apr-14, 06:32 PM
- Deep sleep no issue with regard to downloading data.

- Next briefing 2 pm EDT/11 am PDT, April 28. Will be every two weeks from here on out.

- Pretty well stood down with regarding to gathering science data during the FSW upload. Took one fewer sol than scheduled, did do some backup science like APXS and Mossbauer integrations. Downloaded 700 megabits during upload, now lots more room in flash for science data. About 2/3 of flash currently available.

- Will you go back and look at meteorites and be able to learn more from them? Edit: meteorite may not have come from same crater but a similar one. Have advantage of getting to see surface material on Mars rock that was burned/blown off of meteorite.

- What does Bounce tell you about history of Meridiani? It's on top of the ground, got there later than much of geological events.

ToSeek
2004-Apr-14, 06:37 PM
Ok, you gentlemen are always commenting on the beautiful women who show up on these press conferences. Now let me just say one thing--Christian Schroeder's a cutie! :) Picked a great shirt that complimented his nice blue eyes.....
Reminds me of a quote from my undergrad days, being the lone woman in a summer REU physics program. "The odds are good but the goods are odd." Not always, though!
Ok, back to Mars discussion.....

Turnabout is fair play - he does look rather dashing, doesn't he?

Watching the replay stored on my computer, I'm warming to Deanne: very well-spoken, plus I've always had a weakness for brunettes with glasses. ;)

ToSeek
2004-Apr-14, 06:41 PM

Considering how smooth the surface is, I think Opportunity could get there in just a couple of sols if they wanted it to.

tlbs101
2004-Apr-14, 10:29 PM
Opportunity drove a record 100 meters in one Sol last week, before finding the "rift" in the ground it is currently investigating. Given its top speed (180 m/hr), it could probably make well over 1500 meters in a sol (not so for Spirit, who as to stop every 10 seconds for hazard ID)

EFossa
2004-Apr-15, 08:54 AM

Considering how smooth the surface is, I think Opportunity could get there in just a couple of sols if they wanted it to.

The latest rover update says Oppoprtunity will spend a few sols examining the trench it dug, I guess it will then move on to the outcrop in the rift. I wonder if she meant to say Endurance Crater by Sol 190 lol

ToSeek
2004-Apr-15, 02:45 PM

The latest rover update says Oppoprtunity will spend a few sols examining the trench it dug, I guess it will then move on to the outcrop in the rift. I wonder if she meant to say Endurance Crater by Sol 190 lol

I think Opportunity could spend the next 7 or 8 sols where it is now and still make Endurance by sol 90.

johnwitts
2004-Apr-15, 03:31 PM
I think the distance that the rover can travel each day is limited more by available power than what's in the way. How long can the batteries last while driving?

RGClark
2004-Apr-17, 04:22 PM
Any site have this news conference archived?

Bob

ToSeek
2004-Apr-17, 04:36 PM

Bob

Spaceflight Now (http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/status.html) does, but you have to pay for the privilege.

EFossa
2004-Apr-17, 04:48 PM

Bob

Its available at C-SPAN

http://www.c-span.org/VideoArchives.asp?z1=&PopupMenu_Name=Science/Technology&CatCodePairs=Issue,ST;

RGClark
2004-Apr-18, 08:00 AM

Bob

Its available at C-SPAN

http://www.c-span.org/VideoArchives.asp?z1=&PopupMenu_Name=Science/Technology&CatCodePairs=Issue,ST;

Thanks. I didn't know that C-SPAN archived these.

Bob

Kullat Nunu
2004-Apr-18, 04:49 PM
Space.TV (http://www.space.tv/) is better, you can find every Mars Rover Press briefings there.