PDA

View Full Version : Sports - Interesting couple of weekends

Fazor
2010-Oct-26, 01:58 PM
It started a week ago last Saturday when Ohio State failed to show up against Wisconsin (college "American football".) Sure, they were there physically, but that's about it. I think most of us Ohio State fans knew two things; we weren't really the number 1 team in the country, and that we were going to lose a game or two this year. But I don't think any of us expected such an ugly loss. It was never even close.

Then, that Sunday, the Columbus Crew played (soccer.) The game itself was mostly uneventful. Columbus went up 1-0 with a relatively early goal (IIRC, ~23rd minute), only to head to half-time down 1-2. Played the full 90 minutes and were still down 1-2. Four minutes of extra time indicated. Then, nearly 3 of those minutes down, Columbus is awarded a corner kick. As they set up, out of no-where our keeper comes sprinting up field. The cross comes in and deflects off a defender . . . and lands right at the keepers feet. He lines up the shot, fires, and scores the equalizing goal! Only the second keeper in MLS league history to score.

During the week, the Yankees fall to the Rangers, which for me was exciting. Not that I'm a Rangers fan. I'm an anti-Yankees fan. Plus, it's neat that the club will be making their first ever World Series appearance.

So last Saturday, the Ohio State Buckeyes recover from the loss to Wisconsin by stomping Purdue 49-0. Which earns them a drop in the standings from 10th to 11th. Go figure. But I'm not worried about it; they keep playing games like that and they'll work their way back up to 6th or 5th place by the end of the season. I'm still worried about the Iowa game though.

Then follow that up with the Browns game on Sunday. Playing the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints. Granted, the Saints have struggled a little this year. But the Browns . . . well, they're the Browns. And, thankfully, they played like the Browns; as a team that can never seem to get it together, but then surprise even the toughest opponents. And surprise they did. The lateral from Cribbs on the opening kick-off was genius. Joshua Cribbs currently holds the NFL all-time record for kick-returns for TD's. As such, most teams anymore either won't kick to him, or will do everything they can to swarm him. I don't think anyone ever considered that the Browns would intentionally take a kick return out of his hands. And as an ex-QB (college) he was able to loft a beauty all the way across the field to a completely uncovered team-mate.

Follow that up with a fake punt later in the game that netted something like 65 yards and put the ball inside the 10; two interceptions returned for TD's from the same player, as well as two other interceptions, and the Browns stunned the Saints 30-17. And better than the win, they were actually enjoyable, exciting, and fun to watch!

Later that night, the Columbus Crew played their last regular-season game before the MLS playoffs start. By the 83rd minute, we're up 3-0. Given that we haven't won an MLS game out of our last 6, it was pretty exciting. Then, on a cross from a corner, a Philly player collides with our keeper (yes, the same one that scored the goal a week prior) and as he hits the turf, he breaks his shoulder. Out for the playoffs. Argh! It's okay, because our backup keeper is no slouch either. But William is one of our favorite players, so it was sad. The only up-side was that when it happened, we were out of subs. So that meant we had to take a field player and put him in goal. Eddie Gaven stepped up to the challenge with a broad smile (though the few shots that came rocketing his way quickly wiped the smile off, it was back as soon as the danger had abated.) Gaven did give up one goal, but he also made two saves. One was a diving re-direct on a pretty good shot, so good for him!

Wonder what the next game will bring? The Crew's first playoff game is against Colorado on Thursday. I'm eagerly waiting.

NEOWatcher
2010-Oct-26, 04:47 PM
I watched most of that Brown's game, but somehow missed the important plays during the short periods of time that I left the room.
The defense looked great. The offense? Well, they looked good to, but have some room for improvement.

I'm still trying to figure out why the new LBJ Nike commercial is a controversy...
LeBron's new Nike commercial stirs up more controversy (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=155231&catid=3)
Ok; it's a Nike commercial that says nothing like most Nike commercials. But; is it a controversy only because of the star?

Fazor
2010-Oct-26, 05:06 PM
LeBron's new Nike commercial stirs up more controversy (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=155231&catid=3)
Ok; it's a Nike commercial that says nothing like most Nike commercials. But; is it a controversy only because of the star?

I haven't seen the commercial. I have no desire to. I was mildly interested in LeBron when all the trade talk was going around. I wanted him to stay in Cleveland, but only for the sake of the city. I could hardly care less about NBA. I do think it's ironic that everyone is so down on LeBrown for being an attention . . . "seeker" and drama queen, when that's what the whole stupid league is built around. Like there's never been another NBA star that acts stupidly to get attention. If you were a Cavs fan? Sure. "Hate" LeBron (not as a person, as a sports villian. A nemesis. It's all just a game, after all!) If you weren't a Cavs fan? Then stop pretending to care just because SportsCenter keeps telling you it's the most important thing to happen to humanity ever. It's not.

ETA: I suppose you have my permission to "hate" LeBron too if you're an anti-Miami fan, since it's normal to hate your nemesis team's stars. I'm looking at you, Beckham! *shakes fist in Los Angeles' direction*

Lurking Nerd
2010-Oct-27, 06:50 PM
Then follow that up with the Browns game on Sunday. Playing the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints. Granted, the Saints have struggled a little this year. But the Browns . . . well, they're the Browns. And, thankfully, they played like the Browns; as a team that can never seem to get it together, but then surprise even the toughest opponents.

Tuesday Morning Quarterback (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/101026_tuesday_morning_quarterback&sportCat=nfl) had this stat:

Since the start of the 2008 season, the Browns are 3-1 versus defending Super Bowl champions and 8-27 against all other teams. Noted by many readers, including Stephan Levy of Arlington, Va.