PDA

View Full Version : the most beautiful mammals

thoth II
2010-Oct-26, 05:49 PM
I would vote for elephants as being the most beautiful, elegant of the mammals.

Humans and primates in general wouldn't make my top ten mammal list.

gzhpcu
2010-Oct-26, 06:13 PM
I find the leopard the most beautiful and elegant. And if it is black as well.... then.... :)

Swift
2010-Oct-26, 06:43 PM
I think there is hardly an animal that isn't beautiful or elegant in some way. I particularly like cats and do think their grace and movement is amazing. I am also very fond of elephants, but more for their social behaviors and what appears, to my human interpretation, as a quiet wisdom.

Fazor
2010-Oct-26, 06:53 PM
Maybe I'm biased, but I'd still have to pick certain members of my own species as most beautiful. :) But all animals, mammal or not, are interesting in some way. Except maybe llamas. Yawn!

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-26, 07:28 PM
I would vote for elephants as being the most beautiful, elegant of the mammals. ...
And I think apples are much better than oranges.

... I'd still have to pick certain members of my own species as most beautiful. ...
And I'd have to agree, at least as far as my own taste is concerned.

Top ten mammal list?

Yup, listing the so-called 'top ten' of anything is important. I'd put the sloth in the top half.

PetersCreek
2010-Oct-26, 07:31 PM
Humans and primates in general wouldn't make my top ten mammal list.

We would make my top 10, if only for the wonder of the human hand. Others I would have to give additional thought to. There are so many...

Moose
2010-Oct-26, 07:40 PM
Abyssinian cats, hands down.

mike alexander
2010-Oct-26, 08:00 PM
Ferrets, definitely.

ngc3314
2010-Oct-26, 08:04 PM
There will be a short delay while I consult two local felines for an acceptable response.

Trebuchet
2010-Oct-27, 12:08 AM
Abyssinian cats, hands down.

Sorry, I have to vote Ragdolls.

And, I think, Orcas.

Middenrat
2010-Oct-27, 12:12 AM
Elephants? Are you having a giraffe?

KaiYeves
2010-Oct-27, 01:28 AM
Ligers.

swampyankee
2010-Oct-27, 01:35 AM
My own species.

Leaving out humans? Otters.

Swift
2010-Oct-27, 01:56 AM
Ferrets, definitely.
And Angelina Jolie :D

Middenrat
2010-Oct-27, 02:16 AM
My own species.

Leaving out humans? Otters.

Otters wet or dry? And please exclude marine subspecies. Tooo narly.
But good call.
I'll take polar bears.

Spoons
2010-Oct-27, 02:27 AM
I'm voting otters too. They were always my favourite as a kid when we'd go to the zoo. I could spend hours watching them play.

Ferrets are pretty good too, they seem similar to otters. And all the joy they bring here is complete and otter madness.

I do wish I had a tank at home where I could breed Angelina Jolies.

Agemegos
2010-Oct-27, 04:27 AM
Maybe I'm biased, but I'd still have to pick certain members of my own species as most beautiful. :)

Viva!

PetersCreek
2010-Oct-27, 04:55 AM
And please exclude marine subspecies. Tooo narly.

Nope. Sorry. Sea otters stay. They have personality and they rock the 'stache.

tnjrp
2010-Oct-27, 06:38 AM
My friend likes to say the most pleasant looking mammal, apart from humans, is "woman" ;)

Seriously. I'm rather partial to corgi dogs. Of course it's mostly for comedy value.

Ok so that wasn't too serious either.

closetgeek
2010-Oct-27, 11:21 AM
Except maybe llamas. Yawn!

What's not to love?
http://www.bautforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13843

For me, though, it's dolphins. I see them any time I go down by the river and still get a thrill when they surface.

Spoons
2010-Oct-27, 12:00 PM
Momma! Momma, is that you?

Now that you mention it, dolphins too. Now that I think more, there are heaps of awesome mammals. Kangaroos and koalas are both super-cool.

closetgeek
2010-Oct-27, 12:38 PM
Momma! Momma, is that you?

Now that you mention it, dolphins too. Now that I think more, there are heaps of awesome mammals. Kangaroos and koalas are both super-cool.

Yes both kangaroos and koalas are adorable. In both cases, though, I've heard that they look so adorable and approachable but if you get too close, they'll mess you up.

megrfl
2010-Oct-27, 12:51 PM
The female of our species is the most graceful and beautiful of all mammals, imo.

Besides that, I agree with Spoons, there are so many awesome mammals, but I too agree with those that chose the felines. Cats are beautiful, graceful and are physically exceptional. I think they've got the whole package.

I also have an affinity for the Narwhal, my heart goes out to them for some reason.

Swift
2010-Oct-27, 01:01 PM
The female of our species is the most graceful and beautiful of all mammals, imo.

And what species is that? Pumpkins or sunglasses-wearing-beagles? :p

tnjrp
2010-Oct-27, 01:04 PM
Can't be pumpkins. Or else I was asleep in biology class.

Cougar
2010-Oct-27, 01:21 PM
My #8: Dik-diks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dik-dik)

Spoons
2010-Oct-27, 01:21 PM
Yes both kangaroos and koalas are adorable. In both cases, though, I've heard that they look so adorable and approachable but if you get too close, they'll mess you up.

Much like those other beautiful mammals previously mentioned - women. ;)

Aw, those dik-diks are adorable!

megrfl
2010-Oct-27, 01:27 PM
And what species is that? Pumpkins or sunglasses-wearing-beagles? :p

:-DD

This is the second time that someone has referenced my avatar and I did not make the connection. I thought Swift has got to be the most random person on earth, kudos! But then I connected the dots, :o)

O' slow is me.

Cougar
2010-Oct-27, 02:15 PM
Aw, those dik-diks are adorable!

Yes, and they make nice hors dourves.

Spoons
2010-Oct-27, 02:46 PM
Fun size!

mike alexander
2010-Oct-27, 03:36 PM
Ah, beauty. I saw Ben Vereen in Bob Fosse's "Dancin'" on Broadway many years ago and a cat had nothing on him.

Swift
2010-Oct-27, 05:06 PM
:-DD

This is the second time that someone has referenced my avatar and I did not make the connection. I thought Swift has got to be the most random person on earth, kudos! But then I connected the dots, :o)

O' slow is me.
After the 73rd or 74th time someone referenced me as an amphibian, I picked it up.

By the way, you still haven't told us you species. :D

megrfl
2010-Oct-27, 05:24 PM
Ah, beauty. I saw Ben Vereen in Bob Fosse's "Dancin'" on Broadway many years ago and a cat had nothing on him.

You obviously haven't seen me and my cats do the bump. I swear I sent you the video.

By the way, you still haven't told us you species. :D

Long story, short... After a freakish experiment........................................ ......................the pumpkin is my conjoined twin.

Anyway, how bout those elephants?

Boratssister
2010-Oct-27, 05:48 PM
Most of the above and white/black stallions, the equine type- siberian tigers- snow leopards-fluffy bunny rabits-silver back mountain gorillas-and my personal favourite - slender noris.

RAF_Blackace
2010-Oct-27, 07:47 PM
Shakiras puppys, a perfect pair of mammals.

Swift
2010-Oct-27, 08:08 PM
Two of my three favorite mammals (http://www.bautforum.com/album.php?albumid=81&attachmentid=13039)

and number three (http://www.bautforum.com/album.php?albumid=81&attachmentid=13827)

Dyslexic Borg
2010-Oct-27, 08:59 PM
I like cats.........
But i can never eat a whole one

Swift
2010-Oct-27, 09:29 PM
I like cats.........
But i can never eat a whole one
Or you a Borg or ALF? :D

Boratssister
2010-Oct-27, 09:37 PM

I think its a dorg!

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-27, 09:42 PM
Shakiras puppys, a perfect pair of mammals.
And her little dogs aren't bad either.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/bs13690-83559-albums-animated-gifs-pic43268-smiley-rimshot.gif

Dyslexic Borg
2010-Oct-27, 10:02 PM

LOL, I'm hairy enough to be ALF

Im rather fond of the Apes, gorrillas ,bonobos, chimpanzee's.....
When i look at them i cant help feel they are family

They shouldnt be struggling for habitat, anymore than any other species should.
But it strikes me as very sad our own cousins are getting such a rough deal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zsSH9UUQtQ

Kanzi the toolmaker, how tragic our little brothers are loosing their habitat

SkepticJ
2010-Oct-28, 03:53 AM
Naked mole rats.

thoth II
2010-Oct-28, 07:20 PM
We would make my top 10, if only for the wonder of the human hand. Others I would have to give additional thought to. There are so many...

PetersCreek, (Alaska looks "neat" because I've lived in these tropics so long),

I have to agree with you about the human hand, plus the human foot is also truly amazing Look at the arch plus the way the curve is from biggest to smallest toe. This is the only creature including non human primates with a developed foot like this.

thoth II
2010-Oct-28, 07:22 PM
Otters wet or dry? And please exclude marine subspecies. Tooo narly.
But good call.
I'll take polar bears.

Yes, I would put on number two on my list polar bears. They are very beautiful. has anyone seen the below caution sign, I sure haven't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Isbjornskilt.png

someone on the internet translates and that one was on there (a) that triangle with polar bear my guess is means caution with polar bears or like deer crossing (b) the words mean this law applies to all Svalbard a city in Norway

Salty
2010-Oct-28, 10:00 PM
I go along with dolphins...I like their attitude as portrayed in film.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-29, 02:15 AM
Rather than the one exhibited in real life? :)
Gang rape as the common means of procreation isn't a good nice attitude.

Spoons
2010-Oct-29, 02:48 AM
Eeeeeee means eeeeeee. Naughty dolphins!

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2010-Oct-29, 11:15 AM
horses

tnjrp
2010-Oct-29, 11:20 AM
Horses remind me of salami.

Spoons
2010-Oct-29, 11:20 AM
I'd like you to defend your claim that horses are beautiful anywhere but on a pirate ship.

Swift
2010-Oct-29, 03:05 PM
Horses remind me of salami.
????

I like both, in different ways, but don't see the connection, unless the salami is made from horsemeat.

Spoons
2010-Oct-29, 04:17 PM
In Finland that may not be so unlikely, no?

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-29, 10:07 PM
Watching Flipper can cause brain cancer. ;)

Kaptain K
2010-Oct-29, 11:35 PM
Cats! All cats. Big cats (with minor deduction to the lion for the male's shaggy mane). Smaller cats. House cats (except for some of the wierd breeds humans have come up with). Love dem cats!

RAF_Blackace
2010-Oct-29, 11:57 PM
Dolphins are nasty, they are the hooligans of the animal world.

Cats I hated. I had had major problems with cats littering in my garden to the point of even contemplating shooting them. But I decided on advice to take the far better route of getting my own cat. He defends my garden and the problem has gone away. He is now a part of the family and now I love cats. :) Result !!

swampyankee
2010-Oct-30, 03:41 PM
I can give you a list of the most beautiful individual mammals, but there is really too much difference between species for the comparison to make sense.

Although I really think possums are homely.

Trebuchet
2010-Oct-30, 05:03 PM
Raccoons. NOT!

Substantia Innominata
2010-Oct-30, 07:49 PM
"..the big, ugly, bloated, pimpled, fat-necked, long-tusked.. walrus.. of the North Pacific, who has no manners except when he is asleep". ;)

Just couldn't help recalling. It's out of Kipling's "Jungle Book", of course. Indeed, I don't think many find them beautiful. Phew, one might almost be tempted to feel sorry for them. Completely unnecessary, they nevertheless may lead quite a happy life; at least as long as the (recently suggested) ice (or polar) bears ( :eek: ) keep their distance.. and they're not kept in one of those miserable animal-prisons (pardon my French). I know, those kept in zoos also often seem to.. smell fairly strong, but this can hardly be their fault, since practically any zoo-animal tends to smell, and I bet the fact of captivity is (among other things) right at the bottom of this. Plus, in most cases it'll actually and chiefly be the water (in particularly bad zoos aka: sludge), the poor critters are confined in lifelong, what stinks. So sad.

To be honest, I don't find walruses more ugly than polar bears.. but don't be that surprised -- not before you learned about my 'favorite' mammal. That would be the sperm whale, and I'm not even kidding. Only thing a bit frustrating as well as downright unflattering is its English name: They certainly do not contain sperm.. at least not the cows, and much less inside their heads. Couldn't we call them cachalots, instead? *g* I'm all fine with Physeter macrocephalus, too! And how big a head that is.

I love sperm whales. Since I was a child in fact, and the fascination has never waned. Right, every animal fascinates, but sperm whales really get to me, grip me, haunt me. So strange these beings, and, at the same time, somehow, 'familiar'. Again, most don't seem to recognize why they're also esthetically pleasing.. yet they surely are, in their very own way. Or, maybe I've just an odd sense of taste.. well, so be it.

Watching Flipper can cause brain cancer.

And watching 'Lassie' can make it go away again.

Salty
2010-Oct-30, 07:55 PM
I never saw dolphins breeding.

I still think they're beautiful. And, so cheerful.

jfribrg
2010-Oct-30, 09:11 PM
"..the big, ugly, bloated, pimpled, fat-necked, long-tusked.. walrus.. of the North Pacific, who has no manners except when he is asleep".

I once got close enough to Sea Lions to find out how awful they smell. I suspect that the Walrus is no different.

kleindoofy
2010-Oct-30, 09:52 PM
I never saw dolphins breeding. ...
That episode of Flipper never got past the censors.

Maybe they'll run it on cable some day, or it'll be on YouTube.

Trebuchet
2010-Oct-30, 10:43 PM
I once got close enough to Sea Lions to find out how awful they smell. I suspect that the Walrus is no different.

Used to have them on the island across the channel from where I worked. You didn't have to be very close to notice the aroma. They were pretty noisy, as well.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-31, 01:47 AM
"..the big, ugly, bloated, pimpled, fat-necked, long-tusked.. walrus.. of the North Pacific, who has no manners except when he is asleep". ;)
Watch one move underwater and that impression becomes replaced with one of a large elegant mover.

swampyankee
2010-Oct-31, 02:04 PM
Watch one move underwater and that impression becomes replaced with one of a large elegant mover.

And, of course, walrus can be surprisingly dangerous: I've read that they have killed adult polar bears.

When we start investing our feelings, based on aesthetics, into what are "noble" or "ignoble" or "ridiculous" animals, we start making really bad decisions really fast. Like keeping chimpanzees as pets.

gzhpcu
2010-Oct-31, 03:48 PM
I also like tigers... and like painting them....

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4097/sherezade.jpg (http://img172.imageshack.us/i/sherezade.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Doodler
2010-Oct-31, 03:51 PM
I'd have to go with cows...

Medium rare, on a plate, with a big ol' baked russet tater and some Worchester sauce.

;)

Trebuchet
2010-Nov-01, 01:47 AM
I'd have to go with cows...

Medium rare, on a plate, with a big ol' baked russet tater and some Worchester sauce.

;)

A1 for me, thank you, and a glass of dry red. I haven't had a nice steak in more than a year. Thanks SO much for reminding me.

PatRKelley
2010-Nov-01, 04:58 AM
Snow leopards. All the grace of big cats, fluffier tails, bigger feet (for climbing and snow-walking, which of course makes them /cuuuute/), and the balanced poise of a rocky terrain climber who has to be precise or dead. Plus their muted gray colors which look like a living watercolor.

Soo, soo pretty.

Spoons
2010-Nov-01, 05:25 AM
I saw a David Attenborough documentary on snow leopards a month or two back, they are wonderful creatures. They claimed on the doco that it was the first time they'd been caught on tape in the wild, hunting. I don't know if that's true, but they looked so slick and hard to spot that I'd believe it.

They moved so beautifully.

tnjrp
2010-Nov-01, 06:42 AM
I like both, in different ways, but don't see the connection, unless the salami is made from horsemeat.Some types of salami are made from horse meat. Even in Italy, I understand.

Spoons
2010-Nov-01, 07:19 AM
Some types of salami are made from horse meat. Even in Italy, I understand.

Which reminds me - Melbourne Cup tomorrow. Winner takes all. Loser feeds all.

Jens
2010-Nov-01, 09:07 AM
Rather than the one exhibited in real life? :)
Gang rape as the common means of procreation isn't a good nice attitude.

Not only that, but they eat their prey live, without nicely killing it beforehand. Plus I'm pretty sure they defecate in the same water they're swimming in.

Spoons
2010-Nov-01, 09:53 AM
If they're so intelligent, where's their cutlery?

swampyankee
2010-Nov-01, 10:12 AM
Not only that, but they eat their prey live, without nicely killing it beforehand.

In other words, they like their sashimi really fresh.

Jens
2010-Nov-01, 10:46 AM
In other words, they like their sashimi really fresh.

That's right. I don't know how well known this word is outside of Japan, but there is a term odori-gui. Odori means "dance" and gui means "eat." What it means is to eat the fish when it's still "dancing." I suspect that dolphins are into such inhumane (indelfinate?) customs.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Nov-01, 03:10 PM
If they're so intelligent, where's their cutlery?
Look at a grinning dolphin and you'll know.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2010-Nov-01, 03:48 PM
one could make the argument that all life is beautiful because it make be a very rare thing or it might be very common....

Mellow
2010-Nov-02, 01:08 PM
Otters

Mellow
2010-Nov-02, 01:08 PM
Wait.... do cheerleaders count as mammals?

Grey
2010-Nov-02, 04:30 PM
Wait.... do cheerleaders count as mammals?Many that I've seen have been very clearly mammalian. :)

SkepticJ
2010-Nov-02, 05:42 PM
Some types of salami are made from horse meat. Even in Italy, I understand.

Made of 100% Horse-fed Horse, for that Double Horse Flavor?

Romanus
2010-Nov-02, 10:25 PM
Weasels. Most mustelids, honestly--but especially weasels.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Nov-03, 09:18 AM
Wait.... do cheerleaders count as mammals?
They tend to have prominent mammaries, so yes.

Spoons
2010-Nov-03, 09:57 AM
w00t! He went there!

HenrikOlsen
2010-Nov-03, 10:15 AM
w00t! He went there!
You mean that isn't the whole point of cheerleaders?

Spoons
2010-Nov-03, 10:18 AM
Technically they're both points.