PDA

View Full Version : Avatar: The Sequels

Jim
2010-Oct-27, 06:29 PM
It's been announced that James Cameron has started work on two - count 'em, 2 - sequels to Avatar. He plans to start production in 2011 with the first one released in Dec 2014 and the second a year later.

They're not true sequels, but stand-alone stories that are part of a greater arc.

LotusExcelle
2010-Oct-27, 06:30 PM
Arc? I think perhaps that is the wrong term. But... I'll admit that I'll go see them.

Gillianren
2010-Oct-27, 10:23 PM
I probably won't.

NickW
2010-Oct-27, 10:32 PM
No love for "Avatar", Gillian?

Professor Tanhauser
2010-Oct-27, 10:34 PM
As to a sequel to avatar, making it s stand alone separate story is the only way to go, there's just no more story in the original movie.

I'd do it with weaver's character having "uploaded" into the navi plant network stransferring herself into the computers of the ship going back to earth to keep the humans from ruining the navi's world and joining up with a group who wants to overthrow the people running earth (who killed it) and try to reboot earth;s ecosystem after cleaning up the planet. That might be the only way to do it, there's just no story left in the original movie's threadbare, derivative plot.

Gillianren
2010-Oct-28, 06:04 AM
No love for "Avatar", Gillian?

Oh, it's pretty. But, as was said of Oakland, there's no there there. We've seen the story before. Occasionally even done well. The acting . . . should have been controlled better. Sigourney Weaver's done some great acting, but that really wasn't it. It seems to me, looking at his career, that Cameron tends to prefer the act of producing a shiny film to the act of producing a compelling story well-acted.

Professor Tanhauser
2010-Oct-28, 06:45 AM
To me, the issues I had with avatar were mostl related to the way idiots made such a fuss over it.

I'm not talking about the fans who liked, it. I'm talking about some of the critics.

Did you know some people wanted to give avatar an R rating because of Sigourney Weaver's character? She was a good character, but -ohmigod!- she.....SMOKED!

Yep, some fanatically fascistic anti smokers wanted to make avater have an R rating, along with any movie that had any good character smoking because they believe it should be wrong to have a good character smoke in a movie kids could see. Lord, these people are just absolutely insane.

Some other people complained avatar was racist, with the "colored" na'vi being ignorant and helpless until white folks decided to help them. Yawn.

Really, the movie meant next to nothing to me, it was pretty, but plotless. Try "district 9" if you want to see avatar in a mirror, essentially. It's like an exact opposite of avatar.

WaxRubiks
2010-Oct-28, 11:18 AM
she smoked in Ghost Busters too. :D

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-28, 04:29 PM
she smoked in Ghost Busters too. :D
But that was before PC'ism for totally out of hand

Gillianren
2010-Oct-28, 07:25 PM
Did you know some people wanted to give avatar an R rating because of Sigourney Weaver's character? She was a good character, but -ohmigod!- she.....SMOKED!

Whereas, if it were an independent film and not a big studio picture, it would have gotten an R because of the violence at the end.

Some other people complained avatar was racist, with the "colored" na'vi being ignorant and helpless until white folks decided to help them. Yawn.

It did have a serious White-Man's-Burden-y feel to it, though.

SkepticJ
2010-Oct-29, 02:03 AM
I might see them. It depends on if they have an original story, or not.

Sure, Avatar was pretty and all, but so was The Phantom Menace. Fantastic production design alone does not a good movie make.

Unless Cameron returns to making rated R movies, I don't hold out much hope for enjoying his future productions.
If The Abyss came out today, I wouldn't be surprised if it was slapped with an R-rating.

The Avatar sequels certainly won't be R, but I have a little hope for Battle Angel. Maybe we'll get another Terminator. Maybe.

Delvo
2010-Nov-07, 03:12 AM
It did have a serious White-Man's-Burden-y feel to it, though.Kipling, or Travolta? (I can't quite picture how this comparison works either way.)

novaderrik
2010-Nov-07, 03:36 AM
if he could work some Terminators in and tie it in with the ending of Titanic- specifically the part where Leo DiCaprio sinks into the abyss- i might consider seeing it..

Gillianren
2010-Nov-07, 03:45 AM
Kipling, or Travolta? (I can't quite picture how this comparison works either way.)

Kipling. It was the responsibility of the white American to protect those poor, innocent natives. Yes, it was against even more white Americans with really big guns, but he even turned out to be more in tune with their planet than they were.

vonmazur
2010-Nov-07, 04:08 AM
IIRC: Kipling was refering to the British Empire, sarcasticly, or so I thought......I guess in this abomonation it was Americans...so you do have a valid point...

Dale

vonmazur
2010-Nov-07, 04:12 AM
I am waiting for the movie Kleindoofy is "promoting", the Klingon version of "Avatar"...I wonder if it will be in Klingon or have sub-titles?? can they just rework it with CGI and make it that way? How about Star Trek meets Star Wars? That is promising....Captain Picard v. Emperor Palpatine, a debate not a fight....Yoda and Data arguing about syntax....the list runs on and on....Worf head-butting Chewie...?

Dale

Ara Pacis
2010-Nov-11, 07:37 PM
And would Riker and Solo be at odds over Troi? Perhaps Wesley Crusher and Luke Skywalker could run away to the Academy and sort out their daddy issues.

I wonder how the Avatar prequels will go. Will it be about how the Pandoran Super-Entity Eywa came to be or about how Gaia was destroyed by Humans. Or maybe it was how the first probe was passing through the system and thought it was safe and hit one of those floating mountains and two of the crewmembers had sex in a moon-buggy with steamy windows.

WaxRubiks
2010-Nov-11, 08:01 PM
I think the sequel should contain homer simpson.