PDA

View Full Version : I love my Job.

RAF_Blackace
2010-Oct-29, 11:52 PM
Well it is finally here. After nearly 1 year of software development I am about to go to Heathrow Airport tomorrow morning to start commissioning a new system. Everything is new, software, hardware, mechanical design.

I expect to hit problems, have arguments, work long hours, and be exhausted at the end of it. If it goes wrong I may even lose my job or have my reputation damaged to the point of not being able to even get a job in the industry any more.

It is my software, my design, and I am in charge. I can blame no one. I am right now nervous and a little apprehensive as to what the next month will bring.

But I love it. This is what I got into Engineering for :)

Wish me luck, see you on the other side of hell !!

Mister Earl
2010-Oct-30, 04:23 AM
Nice! Good luck with it! Can you talk about the purpose of this system?

RAF_Blackace
2010-Nov-13, 10:48 PM
I'M BACK !!!

Aching all over, I feel like I could sleep for a month. But the kit has its acceptance test tonight and I'm not allowed to even be there, it will pass and will be in service from Monday morning.

I really enjoyed that. Now to start work on another one :)

RAF_Blackace
2010-Nov-16, 12:21 AM
Was called in at 4pm Sunday. A small snag. Passed the Site acceptance test but this one issue was a problem. Went in at 5pm evening Sunday, Finished at 6am Monday morning. Slept all day Monday and have to be in the office for 7am Tuesday morning. Wine is going to help me sleep tonight :)

RAF_Blackace
2010-Nov-16, 12:24 AM
Nice! Good luck with it! Can you talk about the purpose of this system?

Well I think I can. It is part of the US Baggage screening program that the UK has to adopt. A new conveyor line that includes high quality screening to US standards adopted after 9/11.

Donnie B.
2010-Nov-16, 01:06 AM
We appreciate your efforts. I would probably appreciate them even more if I did a lot of flying, especially internationally, but I don't.

Still, it's good to know the screening is happening. We only have so many airplanes and skyscrapers.