PDA

View Full Version : The McRib is back.

Buttercup
2010-Nov-02, 07:34 PM
I loved these things when I was an early-20-something (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_newsroom/20101102/**_yblog_newsroom/the-mcrib-returns)

With hot crispy fries and an icy cold Pepsi. :D

Now? :hand:

Tried eating one around 3 years ago (before I became seriously meat intolerant). :confused: It tasted nothing like I'd recalled from younger days. Guess I've developed a more discerning palate. ;-p

Anyone else here planning to scarf down a few? According to the article, all U.S. McD's will sell them for a short while.

PetersCreek
2010-Nov-02, 08:09 PM
Normally, I don't go into McD's unless it's at gunpoint but I used to think the McRib's were (just) okay, flavor-wise. Nothing about the texture, however, is at all reminiscent of ribs.

Fazor
2010-Nov-02, 08:13 PM
Naw. I'm like you; I used to love them. Then last time I had one (a couple years ago?) I wasn't happy with it. Now I don't eat much fast food anyway. We did have McDonald's for lunch yesterday (just a cheese burger and fries) and I felt sick all night because of it. The less I eat that stuff, the less my digestive system can handle it when we do eat it.

I'm happier to not eat them when they come back, and instead remember them fondly. And, for what it's worth, I do love the Simpson's episode where Krusty Burger brings in the Ribwich and Homer goes on the road to follow it around the country. (Obviously parodying how McDonald's handles the McRib)

Buttercup
2010-Nov-02, 09:25 PM
Normally, I don't go into McD's unless it's at gunpoint

:confused: Lol!!

but I used to think the McRib's were (just) okay, flavor-wise. Nothing about the texture, however, is at all reminiscent of ribs.

The texture last time was so...spongey. Ugh!

Used to love to bite into that warm barbecuey gooey mess, slather the fries in the sauce, wash down with Pepsi. Wow! As meat intolerant as I've become, I might like to knock back one again (sorta...just sorta) if I could eat without consequence like before. Do crave bbq occasionally; well, we've got veggie burgers for that.

PetersCreek
2010-Nov-02, 09:30 PM
I love vegetables but I'm not one for veggie-whatever substitutes. <gack>

However, I was watching an episode of How It's Made the other day in which they described the process for making vegetarian caviar, made from sea kelp...and I was intriqued.

Swift
2010-Nov-02, 09:32 PM
I don't remember ever thinking they were particularly good or tasted like ribs. I think in my youth I thought they were at best tolerable.

Now, the word that comes to mind when I think of them.... uh... disgusting. But don't let me spoil anyone else's fun.

Buttercup
2010-Nov-02, 09:34 PM

I'm just the opposite. :lol: But it's a "must"; I probably wouldn't eat veggie burgers (Morning Star or Boca) either, if I could still tolerate the real thing (or not have to pay $8 per pound of free-range meat).

However, I was watching an episode of How It's Made the other day in which they described the process for making vegetarian caviar, made from sea kelp...and I was intriqued.

I'm going to give Morning Star hot dogs a try. I crave a good 'dog occasionally too.

Oh to be 21 again. :cry: Oh well, gone forever...

tlbs101
2010-Nov-02, 11:35 PM
I was just thinking about that over the weekend, "when is the McRib coming back?"

I can tolerate one or two per McRib season.

@Buttercup: I don't think McD's ever served Pepsi (except for a few select restaurants switching, on a trial basis a few years ago) -- they have served Coke products since I can remember.

kleindoofy
2010-Nov-02, 11:57 PM
... Tried eating one around 3 years ago (before I became seriously meat intolerant). ... Anyone else here planning to scarf down a few? ...
I'm confused, please help me here.

The reflexively inclusive "else" in "anyone else here" in your question implies that you yourself intend to eat a few of these things.

How does that comply to being seriously meat intolerant?

Buttercup
2010-Nov-03, 12:06 AM
I'm confused, please help me here.

The reflexively inclusive "else" in "anyone else here" in your question implies that you yourself intend to eat a few of these things.

How does that comply to being seriously meat intolerant?

I "mis-spoke." Simply meant to say "anyone" (without the "else"). No, I won't be eating a McRib (for the reason cited).

Sometimes I am a bit distracted while posting...

pzkpfw
2010-Nov-03, 12:08 AM
I think this thread qualifies as spam.

CosmicUnderstanding
2010-Nov-03, 12:13 AM
Not a big fan of meat though I do eat it on occasion. Not a big fan of McDonald's or other fast food by any means. Looks like that leaves more McRibs for the rest of you all!

Buttercup
2010-Nov-03, 12:23 AM
Not a big fan of meat though I do eat it on occasion. Not a big fan of McDonald's or other fast food by any means.

I had a wicked craving for a Big Mac the other day. :cry: That's all it could be -- a craving. Used to love an occassional Big Mac with fries and a carton of cold milk.

kleindoofy
2010-Nov-03, 12:25 AM
Do these things include any form of actual intercostal muscle tissue as the name would suggest, or are they just pressed meat, made to look like?

PetersCreek
2010-Nov-03, 12:38 AM
Yep, the McRib is a pressed and formed vaguely meat-like product. I envision the McNugget factory periodically retooling to punch out McRibs.

SkepticJ
2010-Nov-03, 12:48 AM

How recently have you had any?

One of my friends is a vegetarian, and the fake meat he eats is fantastically good. I don't know the brands, but it all tastes just as good as the real thing to me.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Nov-03, 09:32 AM
Yep, the McRib is a pressed and formed vaguely meat-like product. I envision the McNugget factory periodically retooling to punch out McRibs.
And to think that this thread had me craving for the roasted real lower front, left and right sides of a dead real pig.

Oh well, yet another reason never to go to McD or any of the other similar places.

Fazor
2010-Nov-03, 11:27 AM
How recently have you had any
One of my friends is a vegetarian, and the fake meat he eats is fantastically good. I don't know the brands, but it all tastes just as good as the real thing to me.

I used to eat a 'Morningstar' veggie-burger for lunch every day. I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but they are good (or at least I thought so), and at any measure, they are better than any microwavable "real" hamburger I've ever had. And I couldn't complain about getting to eat a hamburger every day without having all the fat and grease of a real burger.

The only reason I stopped eating them is that I went to cooking meals to take for lunch in an effort to get away from eating so much processed food.

Buttercup
2010-Nov-03, 11:35 AM
I used to eat a 'Morningstar' veggie-burger for lunch every day. I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but they are good (or at least I thought so), and at any measure, they are better than any microwavable "real" hamburger I've ever had.

The local Burger Kings have them on the menu. Always very nicely done on a fresh steamed bun with a dab of mayo, lettuce and tomato; sometimes cheese too. Delicious and satisfying. I think 23 grams of protein per. :) No guilt either!

Morningstar has breakfast "sausage" patties too; I want to try those, and some of their other products too.

p.s.: I used to love an occasional 6 piece McNugget, all dredged in both Sweet & Sour and Honey. :p Lol!

HenrikOlsen
2010-Nov-03, 11:43 AM
I think 23 grams of protein per. :) No guilt either!
I must have missed the latest fun food fad facts bulletin.

Is it protein that is supposed to be bad for you these days?

Buttercup
2010-Nov-03, 11:52 AM
I must have missed the latest fun food fad facts bulletin.

Is it protein that is supposed to be bad for you these days?

You read too much into my comment. The smile separated one from the other.

Regarding guilt, it would pertain to fat and grease (Fazor's comment). Veggie burgers don't have that, like meat burgers.

Fazor
2010-Nov-03, 12:12 PM
Well, to be fair, they have some fat and grease (oil) but not anywhere near as much as a traditional beef patty. IIRC, the calorie count was something like 120.

Morningstar makes a variety of types of veggie patties. I didn't love the 'sausage' ones, but they had some with mushrooms, some that were meant to mimic the grilled taste of a burger, some that were just veggie patties . . . my favorite were the blackbean 'burgers'. Not even remotely like a hamburger, but they had great seasoning and you could really taste the beans. Just add a dab of mayo (for flavor and to add back some of the guilt from trying to eat healthy). I could eat those for lunch every day.

mike alexander
2010-Nov-03, 02:30 PM
I like fast food and will not pretend otherwise. Always fun to watch the look on my son's face as I shovel in an Arby's roast beef sandwich, well-doused with Horsey Sauce. Whoppers and Quarter Pounders with cheese are also excellent. I miss the most the flavor and texture of the McD's french fries when they still used lard to fry them in. The vegetable oil ones are adequate but are a pale memory of the originals.

Buttercup
2010-Nov-03, 03:03 PM
I like fast food and will not pretend otherwise. Always fun to watch the look on my son's face as I shovel in an Arby's roast beef sandwich, well-doused with Horsey Sauce. Whoppers and Quarter Pounders with cheese are also excellent. I miss the most the flavor and texture of the McD's french fries when they still used lard to fry them in. The vegetable oil ones are adequate but are a pale memory of the originals.

Yay! :D My kind of person! :lol: Though I never did like Whoppers (Big Mac for me then).

Loved Arby's RB melt (gooey cheese) and curly fries, though preferred Arby's Sauce on the sandwich. Horsey Sauce as a dip for curly fries is good. I also liked their chicken salad sandwiches.

Don't recall McD's fries in anything but vegetable oil however.

Used to eat fast food about 2 times per week.

I love McD's breakfast biscuits: Egg and cheese, with a bit of grape jelly. Deeeeeviiiiine. :D

mike alexander
2010-Nov-03, 08:15 PM
McD phased out their lard mixture many years ago.

My aunt in Texas used to make french fries in a kettle of hot bacon lard. Hog heaven, to coin a phrase.

I also like Egg McMuffins.

Fazor
2010-Nov-03, 08:46 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I like fast food. Some of it I love (you mentioned the Egg McMuffin. Heaven.) But I have to stay away from it because I'm trying to lose weight, and I just cannot do that by eating fast food. And whatever it is, the less often I eat fast food, the less it agrees with me on occasions that I do. Or maybe it's just me getting older and not having the metabolism I had in Highschool, when I could eat anything no matter how fatty or greasy it was (bonus points if that fatty greasy food was smothered in hot sauce.)

mike alexander
2010-Nov-03, 08:52 PM
Oh, yes, fast food likes me, too. I have to ration it or I'll be buying bigger pants in no time.

Buttercup
2010-Nov-03, 09:50 PM
Yes, the weight-gain factor. :( I only use EV olive oil and "Pam" cooking spray for years now.

Heck, I can't even eat oatmeal regularly. Love it brown sugar & cinnamon, with a dash of warm milk. But if I ate a bowl of that just 3 times a week, I'd probably pack on 3 pounds! Not sure why my metabolism doesn't handle oatmeal well, but whatever... :mad:

p.s.: If I ever develop a potato intolerance, I am committing suicide!

PetersCreek
2010-Nov-03, 10:23 PM
You think oatmeal is bad...try being a sausage maker. :lol:

mike alexander
2010-Nov-03, 10:38 PM
Instead of brown sugar in the oatmeal try a nice handful of good raisins and cinnamon.

CosmicUnderstanding
2010-Nov-03, 11:15 PM
I might have to give chopped dates a whirl in oatmeal for experimentation purposes. I like raisins too but I tend to eat them by themselves.

PetersCreek
2010-Nov-03, 11:28 PM
Figs are good in oatmeal, too.

geonuc
2010-Nov-04, 08:10 AM
I don't think I've ever had a McRib. Doesn't sound appetizing, and I've been known to enjoy the occasional fast food meal - Big Mac, Taco Bell tacos, Wendy's burger. I had a couple of Egg McMuffin's on my last mad-dash road trip.

I don't see myself ordering a McRib.