PDA

View Full Version : This Forum is Different

William Thompson
2010-Nov-03, 05:53 PM
Maybe I have not signed up on many popular forums but this one seems different. I have not seen a forum where the posts are first reviewed by someone before it is approved. Why does this one have such a rule? What is it that makes this forum different. It it attracks riff-raff, why does it attrack riff-raff.

Is this a science forum? This might seen like a silly question with an obvious answer, but, honestly, how many people here would call themselves scientists rather than fans of scientific things?

PetersCreek
2010-Nov-03, 06:07 PM
While the moderation queue does help us deal with the occasional troublemaker, it's main intent and benefit is the control of spam posts. You'd be surprised at how much we get that you won't see.

Yes, this is a science forum and our membership includes science fans (like myself), honest-to-goodness scientists, and expert practitioners of applied science (which I used to be).

Edit to add: Hang in there. The moderation queue will no longer trouble you after you have a few more posts under your belt.

pzkpfw
2010-Nov-03, 06:11 PM
Spam. Pure and simple.

The first few posts by a person (especially if they contain cretain kinds of thing) are held so the moderators can look at them, and check that they are not advertisements for shoes and "medicine" etc. Be glad that that's the ways things are. You have no idea how much rubbish we trash before it gets into the public. Of course, that gives us a chance to check posts for other issues too, such as rule breaking.

As for the second part of your question: I'd say both. As long as the rules are followed, anyone can be a member. So both types of person will be here.

ETA: Brett types too fast, but it appears we agree. Is that luck?

Canis Lupus
2010-Nov-03, 07:01 PM
I don't wish to cast doubt on the queue's necessity, but I wish the software offered BAUT a different solution.

Moose
2010-Nov-03, 08:09 PM
I don't wish to cast doubt on the queue's necessity, but I wish the software offered BAUT a different solution.

Tomahawk cruise missiles, while certainly preferable, are just a bit out of our bandwidth budget. We had to resort to the lesser option.

Fazor
2010-Nov-03, 08:52 PM
[From the OP]. . . how many people here would call themselves scientists rather than fans of scientific things?
Does either have a bearing on whether or not the forum itself is a science forum? I mean, how many people using the ESPN forums are athletes? Isn't it still a sports forum?

But for what it's worth, there's many scientists here in many different fields, but there's also many people who are just interested in science.

djellison
2010-Nov-03, 10:43 PM
FWIW - over at another forum, one I'm an admin for - we have a similar process, but it's the manual approval of every registration.

There's no automated system that solves the problem better than a human making a judgment call.

BAUT's way is actually very very good.

jlhredshift
2010-Nov-03, 10:59 PM
It absolutely is a science forum. Close to four years ago when I discovered this forum, I had nowhere else to have discussions of both medium and high level on the subjects that I was interested in. I know for a fact that I have grown intellectually since coming here and I credit this forum, at least in part, for that.

MAPNUT
2010-Nov-04, 12:33 PM
I'm an engineer. That's not quite a scientist, but it's close (I have worked in labs). I know next to nothing about astronomy, but find a lot of like minds here and get to keep up on issues I might not otherwise hear about.

grapes
2010-Nov-04, 01:00 PM
I've done real work in science, but not in astronomy :)

Gillianren
2010-Nov-04, 06:24 PM
Sooooo not a scientist. Get me to tell you the story about taking physics in high school some time.

Jim
2010-Nov-04, 08:08 PM
Spam. Pure and simple. ... advertisements for shoes and "medicine" etc.

And "WOW gold."

I don't partake of World of Warcraft, so the first few times I saw those ads, I thought it was a comment. "WOW! Gold."

The filter "traps" suspicious posts for human (well, Moderator) review. Automating that further would simply dump suspicious posts, some of which are actually not spam. Or worse, pass through some that actually are.

Jim
2010-Nov-04, 08:10 PM
I'm an engineer. That's not quite a scientist...

BSChE.

I think an engineer is better than a scientist. JM(DNH)O

Buttercup
2010-Nov-04, 08:14 PM
Sooooo not a scientist. Get me to tell you the story about taking physics in high school some time.

Yeah. :(

When I got the score on my final...well, there went the astronomy career. :cry:

Was never a whiz in the math dept either.

korjik
2010-Nov-04, 08:48 PM
BSChE.

I think an engineer is better than a scientist. JM(DNH)O

You would be wrong too :)

p.s. My ** is physics

PetersCreek
2010-Nov-04, 08:55 PM
Are we dealing with large or small quantities of better? It makes a difference, you know.

Swift
2010-Nov-04, 09:10 PM
Are we dealing with large or small quantities of better? It makes a difference, you know.
More better. It is always more better.

PetersCreek
2010-Nov-04, 09:30 PM
I always forget the declension of those adjectives. Does it go something like this?:

better
more better
most better
best
bestest
more better bestest

Swift
2010-Nov-04, 09:53 PM
Isn't "much more better" somewhere in there?

And how about "swell"?

chrissy
2010-Nov-04, 09:53 PM
Maybe I have not signed up on many popular forums but this one seems different. I have not seen a forum where the posts are first reviewed by someone before it is approved. Why does this one have such a rule? What is it that makes this forum different. It it attracks riff-raff, why does it attrack riff-raff.........

Like many members have already stated, it is to protect the forum filling up with spam. This is a first line of defence sometimes they get passed the moderation queue because links are edited in after it has gone through this process. When you have reached a certain number >quoting from a certain scene from a Python film< that number being X >well kind of quoting< you are free to post without going through the moderation queue.

All forums attract riff raff, that is part and parcel of the internet.

grapes
2010-Nov-04, 09:54 PM
It also goes:

goody
good
goodly
better
more better
most better
butter
best
bestest
more better bestest
beast
beasted
mathematics

Swift
2010-Nov-04, 09:57 PM
By the way, if there was any doubt that this forum is "different", this thread is proof. :D

Tobin Dax
2010-Nov-04, 09:59 PM
Are you all picking on the non-scientists now?

I might have to pretend that engineers are better, but I lean towards scientists. I will admit that I'm not sure if I qualify as a scientist, but I seem to meet korjik's definition.

Edit: This was written before grapes's post. There's relevant xkcd comic I could look up, but I don't want to search for it right now.

PetersCreek
2010-Nov-04, 10:00 PM
It also goes:

goody
good
goodly
better
more better
most better
butter
best
bestest
more better bestest
beast
beasted
mathematics

...and for the win: beer.

Oh, wait...then there's:

more beer
more better beer...

I give up.

grapes
2010-Nov-04, 10:15 PM
I concede. And I concede that non-scientists are better (beerer?) at non-science, too.

chrissy
2010-Nov-04, 10:35 PM
Someone remind me to ban those two spammers ^^^^^

Tensor
2010-Nov-04, 10:48 PM
Those two can't be spammers. Spam is semi solid. They were talking about beer. Beer is liquid. At STP of course. QED.

Nowhere Man
2010-Nov-04, 11:03 PM
...and for the win: beer.

Oh, wait...then there's:

more beer
more better beer...

I give up.

Beer, beer, beer... (http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=31546)

Fred

pzkpfw
2010-Nov-04, 11:28 PM
It would be betterer to stay on topic.

(Not specifically aimed at the post that happens to be above this one...)

William Thompson
2010-Nov-05, 02:05 AM
This is one of the Big-Boards(.com) and that must be why you get all the spam.
Maybe other boards that have the mega popularity have to have such set-ups.

So far, chrissy is my favorite moderator avatar, I know, it is off topic. So let me think of a way to make it on-topic.... I got it, here is an example of going off topic like the last post.

Kaptain K
2010-Nov-05, 06:20 PM
It would be betterer to stay on topic.

Topic? :think:

danscope
2010-Nov-05, 09:06 PM
" Good, better , best; never let it rest ,
untill the good is better , and the better is best " .
From the letterhead of a heating company I'd worked for .
This forum serves to improve, enlighten and stimulate .
May it serve us well.

Best regards,
Dan

astromark
2010-Nov-06, 01:29 AM
and this leeds me into what might be a question that can not have a correct answer considering relativity and global positioning thingies...and

the position of pluto and mars.... and of time travel... I will answer the question before I ask it. Steinlager Pure.

Which beer is beterer.... Umm... beterish...Errr... oh, just good will do. A better beer. ?

Whats different about this forum ?

PetersCreek
2010-Nov-06, 03:21 AM
Okay folks...and this includes me...pzkpfw's comments in official color. Back to the topic, please.

astromark
2010-Nov-06, 08:26 PM
So is it the fact that in this forum a difference is built by leaning on education qualifications B Sc MA doctorates...and so on...

( and I have a unkind thought that might not be gladly received. Misunderstood and seen as just a generalisation and insulting... )

Before you become offended please just consider that some of us struggle with the inappropriate usage of language.

My education was interrupted by a war. That getting out of the country became a survival exercise my parents undertook.

That just that action was a slingshot into the western world... I have no regrets.

That I seek understanding and wish to contribute does show me up at times... as a fool.. and not well educated.

Unfortunately some seem to think that their education has given them the right to be insulting and arrogant...

Even when you are right and feel the need to correct. There is a softer way of doing it than the often blunt rebuttles I see.

What makes this forum a good place to participate in is that. Most of the contributors are passionate about this subject.

With a intention to assist and further educate those who ask. That I feel able to contribute is what makes this forum 'different'.

marsbug
2010-Nov-06, 11:08 PM
A fine point, and one I have often thought myself. Being right is no justification for rudeness or insensitivity. Although I'll admit that sometimes frustration with a person who refuses to see sense or follow simple logic (and this has been me on occasion, from both sides) can make it understandable. BAUT is different because, by and large, the people here, with occasional prodding in the right direction from the mods, work to keep it that way.

Hlafordlaes
2010-Nov-06, 11:26 PM
This forum is so good I use it as a form of cognitive therapy.

If it doesn't fly here, it's fantasy.

Gillianren
2010-Nov-07, 03:35 AM
A fine point, and one I have often thought myself. Being right is no justification for rudeness or insensitivity.

The problem is that some people take any correction as an insult. I don't correct people often, but in part that's because people got really, really angry about it, even when my correction was vital to understanding what they meant to say.

astromark
2010-Nov-07, 03:58 AM
This forum is so good I use it as a form of cognitive therapy.

If it doesn't fly here, it's fantasy.

I almost agree... Which is to say I do not unless I must... But sometimes should... I like that statement enough to want to see it as true...

What was I talking about; Try to see this. What is it to 'know' ? Is not as clear as fresh water. From where I look from...

I know that 0.9999... is not equal to 1. I have been told and can see that I am not in line with all that I speak to. They are mistaken.

For to appeal to the purest mathematical doctrines. If I want to state a value of 1. then I would ( should ) state it as 1. 1 = 1

I do not see that as wrong. It can not be. Now I have accepted that a attitude will get me shot down in a blaze of gunfire. Deservedly.

I also understand that when using ~ or .... you might be suggesting a infinite and open set of values. 0.9999...

It is and always will be by some fraction regardless how small. Less than 1.

I can not expect a submission or admission of error. But feel there has been one...

If you have expressed as 4.9999.... and not written it as 5. Then it is not 5. is it ?

Usually when I am told and shown my error I eat large quantities of humility. The humble pie... but on this issue I feel some hope... for seconds.

danscope
2010-Nov-07, 04:46 AM
Close is only close. 5 is 5. 1 is 1 . Sort of works in many cases.
You have to be very specific..... like when you order your coffee .
And... to an englishman , if you don't pre-heat the teapot , don't boil the water and skimp on the tea, you didn't make tea. It is something less.
For them . I think they are on to something . :)
Dan

Moose
2010-Nov-07, 09:32 AM
I know that 0.9999... is not equal to 1.

Please do not attempt to restart that discussion in this thread.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Nov-07, 02:05 PM
This is one of the Big-Boards(.com) and that must be why you get all the spam.
Maybe other boards that have the mega popularity have to have such set-ups.

So far, chrissy is my favorite moderator avatar, I know, it is off topic. So let me think of a way to make it on-topic.... I got it, here is an example of going off topic like the last post.
Actually the spam happens no matter how popular a board is. I was looking through another forum recently and 99% of all members were spam accounts. The problem is that spammers use automated software which happily spams everything detected as a forum1, regardless of popularity, because links means Google rank, means traffic.

1) or a blog where they can comment, or every other place their links can go, such as public web traffic statistics pages which are spammed by making requests th the site with a referrer set to the page being advertised so they show up in the statistics

djellison
2010-Nov-09, 05:44 PM
UMSF is about 2500 members, about 50-100,000 visits per month. We get a couple of spam registration attempts a day. In UMSF's case, the process involved means people have to wait a few days for their registration to be approved. Here, a few post until your stuff appears automatically. I can't imagine anyone who actually has the interests of the forum at heart could have a legitimate objection to either system.