PDA

View Full Version : Do u believe in soul mates?

today
2010-Nov-04, 07:52 AM
Do u believe in soul mates?
I believe in, it is perfect love in the world.
What is your opinion?

closetgeek
2010-Nov-04, 11:22 AM
I don't believe in soul mates. I think we all do a cold reading, of sorts, when we first meet someone. Occassionally, we are correct.

MAPNUT
2010-Nov-04, 12:27 PM
Well, not that you can identify a soul mate at first meeting, but I'm sure the spectrum of relationships ranges from disaster to true soul mate. If you get one you're just lucky.

AndreasJ
2010-Nov-04, 12:32 PM
Shouldn't this be a poll?

But anyway, no, I don't.

Click Ticker
2010-Nov-04, 01:43 PM
I don't. That, to me, implies that there is just one right person for you in the world.

Had I been born in Europe instead of the United States - I'm guessing not only would I not be the person I am today (might be better, might be worse), but I also likely would not have met and married the person I did.

tashirosgt
2010-Nov-04, 01:47 PM
I suppose if you argue with yourself a lot, you could find a soul mate.

kevin1981
2010-Nov-04, 02:16 PM
No, but i do think people are more compatible with each other than others. If you find a partner who has the same interests as yourself and the same life philosophy ect ect then you are in luck !

megrfl
2010-Nov-04, 02:31 PM
No, I don't believe in soul mates as it is defined, but I do think people "click" and have an easy mutual admiration for each other. I've "clicked" with both males and females, my best girl/guy friends and our friendships are never forced, they are easy, interesting and fun/ny.

My husband was my oldest and dearest friend (besides my parents and sister) before we married and still is, I've known him since I was ten, but I think there could easily have been someone else, somewhere else and at another time.

slang
2010-Nov-04, 03:27 PM
I never cared much for soul. Funk over soul any day!

gzhpcu
2010-Nov-04, 04:27 PM
Never did till I met my wife. Now I do...:)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Nov-04, 04:51 PM
Tim Minchin has a really nice answer to that: If I didn't have you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeZMIgheZro). (YouTube)

Gillianren
2010-Nov-04, 06:43 PM
I have to say, I love Graham very, very much. More than just about anyone in the world. (I do have a daughter!) Every once in a while, I will try to figure out what would cause us to break up, and I have a hard time figuring anything internal out. (External trauma of some kind, like an event which caused my grip on my illness to slip, is the best I've got.) However, I also have a hard time thinking of him as a soul mate. We get along very, very well. We have a lot more in common than it sometimes appears, but there are a lot of differences in some important places. One of my best friends has just moved in with us; if I were to call anyone my soul mate, it would be her. But for a whole huge list of reasons, we'll never end up in a marriage-type relationship together. I don't love her that way. I do love Graham that way. Human emotions and human relationships are complicated.

Fazor
2010-Nov-04, 06:52 PM
As a term for someone who you share the deepest and most trusting bond with, sure.

As a term for meaning there's only one perfect match out there and if you end up with them, it was because the two of you were 'destined to be together', then no. I don't believe in predetermination of that sort.

rommel543
2010-Nov-04, 08:54 PM
No I really don't believe the idea of soul mates, or perfect partners.

The idea of a soul mate comes from two different sources. One being Greek mythology where Man originally had 4 arms, 4 legs and two faces. Zeus feared Man's strength so he cut Man in two, creating the genders, doubling the number of mankind but weakening Man's powers. The other source is from a form of mysticism where the belief was that all spirits were androgynous but were causing problems and therefor split into two, male and female, and each half separated from each other. The two halves must then search for each other through numerous reincarnations and when all karmic debt is repaid, they will find each other and rejoin and ascend.

Moose
2010-Nov-04, 11:20 PM
I used to. The implications of that were far too horrible to contemplate for very long. Now I don't.

/ and I'm feeling muuuuuch better now. :)

closetgeek
2010-Nov-05, 12:22 PM
No I really don't believe the idea of soul mates, or perfect partners.

The idea of a soul mate comes from two different sources. One being Greek mythology where Man originally had 4 arms, 4 legs and two faces. Zeus feared Man's strength so he cut Man in two, creating the genders, doubling the number of mankind but weakening Man's powers. The other source is from a form of mysticism where the belief was that all spirits were androgynous but were causing problems and therefor split into two, male and female, and each half separated from each other. The two halves must then search for each other through numerous reincarnations and when all karmic debt is repaid, they will find each other and rejoin and ascend.

Did you google soulmates, as well? It was weird because I equate soulmates with love at first sight and after I posted my response I checked it out and found the wiki article about it. The second source is an exact replica of a short story I wrote when I was in high school. It was horribly written, very cheesy, and now I am angry that I didn't invent the idea.

rommel543
2010-Nov-05, 01:19 PM
Did you google soulmates, as well? It was weird because I equate soulmates with love at first sight and after I posted my response I checked it out and found the wiki article about it. The second source is an exact replica of a short story I wrote when I was in high school. It was horribly written, very cheesy, and now I am angry that I didn't invent the idea.

I watched a show on Discovery Channel dealing with Love and things people do for it. One of the topics discussed was the idea of Soul Mates and where it came from. Although I will admit I did google it to get the particulars correct.

cosmocrazy
2010-Nov-05, 01:41 PM
No I don't believe in souls or soul mates.

You could argue that meeting someone who is the most compatible person for you is like finding your soul mate. But compatibility really stems from personality and personality can be influenced by environment, illness and trauma.

Hlafordlaes
2010-Nov-06, 08:27 PM
I definitely believe in pheromone mates and, err, mutual lust at first sight. Then there are:

My classmates: Bonny chaps and chapesses who also enjoy falconing in public parks.
My shipmates: Others who think stowing away is thrilling. We do trains, too.
My cellmates: Combination of the above, since we do get nabbed on occasion.

Noclevername
2010-Nov-11, 10:16 PM
When you first meet someone, you know absolutely squat about them except how they appear at that moment. So if you fall "in love" at first sight, all you're really falling for is a first impression, and we all know how accurate those can be.
I put no faith in soul mates, fate, predestination, or karma. LAFS is simply indulging your immediate desires, and calling it Love.