PDA

View Full Version : A question for Grant Hutchison or others who know about medicine

Jens
2010-Nov-08, 06:40 AM
I wonder if anybody could give me help with a word. I have been asked to decipher an insurance form written by a doctor, and there is a word I can't get. In the explanation of the procedure (to drain an abscess), it says something like "removal of pralkin and irrigation." I can't figure out what "pralkin" might be a misinterpretation of! A common one seems "removal of pus," but somehow "pus" and "pralkin" seem too far removed. Also, in the same space, it probably says "ID of abscess," but it looks to me like "IdD of abscess" or "I&D of abscess." I'll be grateful for any help.

Tog
2010-Nov-08, 08:32 AM
"I&D Abscess" in Google returns a lot of hits for "incision and drainage of abscess".

JohnD
2010-Nov-08, 09:32 AM
Jens,
Could you post a scan of the document somewhere?
Suitably 'redacted' to avoid any disclosure of confidential detail?

The word that you read as 'pralkin' has passed through your perception, a one way process.
If we may see the original, handwritten? word, it may be easier to see what was meant.
And was the doctor a native English speaker?

John

grapes
2010-Nov-08, 09:48 AM
Of course, you all know by now what webpage is the number one non-"praline" google hit for "pralkin"? :)

A google of "removal of" "irrigation" "abscess" produces such a variety of results that I could read on and on for pages...I doubt you were talking about "catheter", "packing material", or "operculum". :)

Jens
2010-Nov-08, 12:50 PM
Of course, you all know by now what webpage is the number one non-"praline" google hit for "pralkin"? :)

A google of "removal of" "irrigation" "abscess" produces such a variety of results that I could read on and on for pages...I doubt you were talking about "catheter", "packing material", or "operculum". :)

Actually, though the handwriting looks suspect, the best candidate I have at the moment for "pralkin" is "packing."

Unfortunately I can't upload the paper. But it's not all that important. It's for an insurance claim, so it's not a life or death situation. :)

grant hutchison
2010-Nov-08, 01:22 PM
"I&D abscess" would be "incision and drainage of abscess", which is a pretty standard procedure and abbreviation. If the abscess cavity is large, it's then customary to insert some packing (a role of tape soaked in something bactericidal) and leave an end hanging out. This encourages the cavity to heal from below, rather than closing over from above. "Removal of packing and irrigation" would then be a follow-up procedure, in which the packing tape is removed and the cavity washed out. That can be repeated several times for a large cavity, with less packing being necessary each time as the cavity heals and contracts.

Grant Hutchison

Buttercup
2010-Nov-08, 01:41 PM
I've worked in the medical field for quite a while now, and have no idea what "pralkin" might be. And I've typed dozens of I & D (incision and drainage [of]) abscess reports!

Too bad I can't hear the word you're seeing as written. I might understand.

But then I've also heard a doctor say "pi'lot pi'lot." Which, after 10 frustrating minutes of trying to figure it out, was a merely a reiteration of "period" (punctuation mark). He ran sentences together and seldom dictated punctuation. *sigh*