PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for the Leonids

DE22
2010-Nov-10, 04:22 PM
Hello people!
It's been a century since the last time I came here, I feel guilty for not visiting the site often x_x
Anyways I've been preparing for the upcoming meteor shower, the Leonids!

So far, I've set up a proper schedule at the time when I should observe it, and am lucky that I got the week off during the showers! But still that doesn't allow me to stay up to 2 AM in a random desert...

Still I did decide on a specific and lonely place far away from the city am residing in (Dubai if you shall ask), so I can have clear view on the sky, and maybe perhaps see the galaxy itself! This is already getting me excited! :dance:

I want to ask you guys few question before I really start observing this fantastic harmonious event: Would a telescope help catch faint (and perhaps slow) meteors? or all of them are going to enter in earth's atmosphere at insane speeds? cause if that's the case, I don't think a telescope would help but burden my situation ( need a mount for it!)

As for the other question: If meteors will pass quickly over the sky, is it better to have a faster shutter speed for the camera to capture? or it's something else I have no clue in it?

Either ways, I wish people enjoy the shower, weather they're going or not :razz:
Thanks for reading! (and sorry for taking your time!)

grapes
2010-Nov-10, 04:52 PM
Would a telescope help catch faint (and perhaps slow) meteors? or all of them are going to enter in earth's atmosphere at insane speeds? cause if that's the case, I don't think a telescope would help but burden my situation ( need a mount for it!)Yeah, meteors are mostly non-telescopic observations. They cover too much of the sky, too quickly. And the Leonids are typically faster than most meteors.

As for the other question: If meteors will pass quickly over the sky, is it better to have a faster shutter speed for the camera to capture? or it's something else I have no clue in it?The streak happens so fast, in unpredictable places of the sky, you're not going to have time to press a shutter open. Leave the shutter open, exposing it to the sky, and let the meteors blaze across it. The image will register.

Either ways, I wish people enjoy the shower, weather they're going or notThnks for the reminder!

DE22
2010-Nov-10, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the fast reply Grapes!
Thanks for the advices as well for the camera, I will try my best to get a shot and post it once the showers are over.
Hope you all get to see them as well!
(Their peak is at 17th and 18th of November)

DE22
2010-Nov-10, 06:54 PM
Eep! sorry for the double post! didn't know it takes time for the post to show up! Sorry! D:
Also thank you rick for the advise, I might borrow my brother's camera if I can.
Thanks people!

RickJ
2010-Nov-11, 03:28 AM
While a telescope is pretty useless binoculars can be useful -- after the meteor has past. Bright ones can leave trails that usually quickly fade in a matter of second or two. So you have to be fast. Sometimes however they can linger for several minutes. High altitude winds can twist them into interesting shapes. Though I've seen far more of these with the Perseids than the Leonids it does generate a few. I don't go observing without binoculars no matter how many or large scopes I have along. Digital cameras are great for meteor capture. Take a continuous stream of images and you can use software to align on the stars then many trails you capture over an hour or so can appear on one final spectacular image. They can also be processed into a time lapse movie of the shower for a very different view of the shower. Tripod and a camera with wide angle lens that can be set to take a series of images is all you need.

Rick