PDA

View Full Version : New Mac OS X QSI 500-series control software

jshimkus
2010-Nov-12, 08:34 PM
Hi, I'm trying to get the word out that I've just made available a new set of source code for Mac OS X for controlling QSI 500-series cameras. This is not an application but a set of source that can be incorporated in to an application.

I was disheartened at the scarcity of native Mac software for the QSI 500-series so I decided to take (as a reference) the source QSI makes available and produce something that might help promote the development of additional options for Mac users. As part of that effort I eliminated the dependencies the QSI software had on code from FTDI (the USB chip manufacturer they use) and libusb; this new software has no dependencies other than what ships with every modern Mac. Additionally, it's been written in Objective-C in order to seamlessly interoperate with Apple's Cocoa framework.

The source is licensed using a BSD license and can be downloaded from here: http://shimkus.com/shimkus/QSICamera.html.

Only having a 583ws, I've only been able to actually test against that camera but given that QSI's code doesn't make a distinction (apart from timeout values and other non-functionality-related parameters) between the various 500-series cameras it should work for other cameras in that series. If it doesn't, I'm sure I'll hear about it. :-)