PDA

View Full Version : Has a Recent, Nearby Supernova Become a Baby Black Hole?

Fraser
2010-Nov-15, 08:20 PM
Back in 1979, amateur astronomer Gus Johnson discovered a supernova about 50 million light years away from Earth, when a star about 20 times more massive than our Sun collapsed. Since then, astronomers have been keeping an eye on SN 1979C, (located in M 100 in the Virgo cluster) and with observations from the Chandra [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/78836/has-a-recent-nearby-supernova-become-a-baby-black-hole/)

trinitree88
2010-Nov-15, 09:10 PM
Back in 1979, amateur astronomer Gus Johnson discovered a supernova about 50 million light years away from Earth, when a star about 20 times more massive than our Sun collapsed. Since then, astronomers have been keeping an eye on SN 1979C, (located in M 100 in the Virgo cluster) and with observations from the Chandra [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/78836/has-a-recent-nearby-supernova-become-a-baby-black-hole/)

Fraser. I disagree. The putative black hole is more easily explained by the secondary mechanism offered....a pulsar wind nebula. The high transverse velocities seen in pulsars by Lyne, Harrison et al,up to ~1800 km sec., coupled with the empty supernovae remnants seen by Manchester, Kesteven, et al, ~ 495/500 and the barrel shaped morphologies of those remnants (~ 80%) has spoken of neutron stars streaming away through extended gas clouds giving off x-rays and gamma rays as they do so. Said it in 92 at Vassar, 93 at Williams, 94 at Harvard (Hello Matt & Ben), 99 @ Norwich, and @ Pratt & Whitney, Hartford,2005. at the AAPT meetings. Wrote it in 91/2 at the Winter Class for Particle Physics for High School Teachers for my paper at the Bates Linear Accelerator (ask Betty Sapp).
I'll bet you a non-putative hot fudge sundae that that baby slowly moves perpendicular to that galactic plane as the morphologies of Sne in the Magellanic Clouds are aligned there. Three scoops, Steve's Ice Cream, hot fudge sauce, fresh whipped cream, two cherries, chopped walnuts, extra jimmies.....betcha,betcha, betcha......pete

Eventually, the motion of these babies will create an enormous dumbell-shaped nebula some 50,000 light years in extent perpendicular to the galactic plane in X-rays and gamma rays as they drag gas snowplowed out of the plane into the halo.